2014 Ram 1500 Express Towing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our Laramie 1500 CC is 1406# according to yellow sticker. According to RAM website our trailer tow weight is 7950.

We are looking at purchasing a Coachman TT 248RBS. Specs are UVW 5407, hitch wt 705 and carry cap is 2093. Buying a 2500 is not an option. 3 years ago we traded in a 2004 2500 QC w/ 5.9 L Cummins. We never expected to get back into towing again.

We are concerned about the capabilities of towing this trailer. We have towed larger with less trucks waaaay back in our "young and dumb" days. We have had everything from popups to Class A so we are not inexperienced but a lot more cautious than we used to be.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats a 25 foot trailer right?

I think the sway due to turbulence may be a bigger factor than weight, as long as you are under the trucks capacity. You will need a good anti-sway device in your hitch, E Rated tires, and an air 1000 bag or equivalent. That and prudent loading is about as much as one can do.

Can you rent an equivalent for a weekend and see if the truck can handle it?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
That stick and the website both give bad information. According to the yellow sticker on on door, I can overload the payload with the just five passengers in the cab. According to the website I have no payload and a towing capacity less than a gasser V-6

If you want the correct information, look up the SAEJ2807 towing charts for your truck.

Wrong again. Payload has nothing to do with the cab. It's all in the bed. Educate yourself.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 12.26.26 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 12.26.26 AM.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 45

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wrong again. Payload has nothing to do with the cab. It's all in the bed. Educate yourself.

That's some funny **** right there..
Sorry but trim lvls and **** in the cab does affect payload. I understand you probably pulled that right from rams website - but it's worded correctly -Please re read it- why does my 2500 6.4 hemi have more payload than a 2500 diesel.. cause the diesel weighs more my friend .. and that weight ain't in the bed.

"Sum of all cargo and contents in the bed"

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Sorry but trim lvls and **** in the cab does affect payload. I understand you probably pulled that right from rams website - but it's worded correctly -Please re read it- why does my 2500 6.4 hemi have more payload than a 2500 diesel.. cause the diesel weighs more my friend .. and that weight ain't in the bed.

Another uninformed know-it-all. What is "worded correctly" and what should I reread? If the discussion had anything to do with the payload of a cummins vs a gasser, you would have a point, but since it didn't, you don't. The payload of a cummins is less because it adds more weight on the chassis overall, but that still has nothing to do with what you put in the cab.

You are unknowingly referring to GVWR just as Crash68 was. Neither of you have any clue as to what you are talking about. I was replying to Crash68's post and his erroneously implying he could overload his max payload by putting 5 people in the cab. You should read more carefully before you make an ass of yourself. Too late this time.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My bad - I thought you meant that any added weight in the cab didn't count towards payload. I will slowly remove my foot from my mouth- I'm a big boy I can admit when I am wrong.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

I knew I wasn't crazy, and if I remember correctly, it was Mrs Fox my first grade teacher that taught me how to read the words "occupants and cargo"

Another uninformed know-it-all. What is "worded correctly" and what should I reread? If the discussion had anything to do with the payload of a cummins vs a gasser, you would have a point, but since it didn't, you don't. The payload of a cummins is less because it adds more weight on the chassis overall, but that still has nothing to do with what you put in the cab.

You are unknowingly referring to GVWR just as Crash68 was. Neither of you have any clue as to what you are talking about. I was replying to Crash68's post and his erroneously implying he could overload his max payload by putting 5 people in the cab. You should read more carefully before you make an ass of yourself. Too late this time.

How does that saying go... A picture is worth a thousand words..
A door sticker from an actual Ram pick-up. Not my actual door sticker, it is actually less. You can go check yours to make sure I didn't Photoshop that one to read the words: "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed"
b5b432492c1adf9d7ae01c3f8534c0f9.jpg