2016 PW Load Capacity Problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

astewart999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hauled 1,400Lbs of statutes over the California grapevine (I5) last month and the truck began rocking side to side at about 60 MPH, if I didn't quickly break the rocking dangerously accelerated. Had to keep it below 55MPH and big rigs were passing me. Truck has been at the dealer for 10 days and now they are telling me it has a hauling capacity of only 1500lbs with passengers and camper top! Camper top weighs 250 and two front passengers weigh 380 Lbs. They are saying we were 530 Lbs over max capacity.... Is this possible with a Power Wagon HD2500?

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
yep, it says my capacity is only 1300 lbs, I plan on installing a set of air lift 5000 on my PW
you're not the first person that has share a similar story with a PW

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I hauled 1,400Lbs of statutes over the California grapevine (I5) last month and the truck began rocking side to side at about 60 MPH, if I didn't quickly break the rocking dangerously accelerated. Had to keep it below 55MPH and big rigs were passing me. Truck has been at the dealer for 10 days and now they are telling me it has a hauling capacity of only 1500lbs with passengers and camper top! Camper top weighs 250 and two front passengers weigh 380 Lbs. They are saying we were 530 Lbs over max capacity.... Is this possible with a Power Wagon HD2500?

Yep. Your capacity is about half what a normal 6.4 2500 is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The main reason I won't get a power wagon I can't buy off on a 2500 with the towing and payload of a 1/2 ton

OP
OP
A

astewart999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge really sucks on this one, and it came with such accolades!!!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get some bags to help- that's the only thing u can do- Or trade it In for a regular 2500 6,4- I've put over 1ton in the bed of my 25006.4- It takes it like a dream-

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Dodge really sucks on this one, and it came with such accolades!!!

It has a lesser payload and towing capacity because it's made for off-road and not towing. That's why I opted for the regular 2500.

tim57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
Unfortunately some buy the Power Wagon without realizing it isn't a heavy duty hauler like the standard 2500. Back in the day it was considered one of the most stout rigs you could buy. Wreckers, military grade capable trucks etc. The new Wagons are made and targeted for the off road market, and still considered a heavy duty truck. You can haul and tow with them and I do, I have no regrets about mine having reduced tow and haul capacities. For me it is the best of both worlds it rides like a 1500, it is unstoppable off road and if I ever do have an issue off road the winch allows me to go places I shouldn't with my camper. I didn't buy my Power Wagon without researching and considering my real world use for it. That being said I love having an unstoppable truck when I'm driving across a mountain range in January. Also driving it to the stop and shop, and watching all the 17 year old kids drool on themselves when they see it!

Attachments

• 100_2286.jpg
    100_2286.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 37

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

If you want to trade I'll take that power wagon off your hands and you can have a standard 2500!!! Hahaha in all seriousness, the rear suspension is designed for flex and off road capabilities, not so much towing and hauling. I'm sure you can find a stiffer set of springs for the rear but ultimately it's designed for articulation.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Unfortunately some buy the Power Wagon without realizing it isn't a heavy duty hauler like the standard 2500. Back in the day it was considered one of the most stout rigs you could buy. Wreckers, military grade capable trucks etc. The new Wagons are made and targeted for the off road market, and still considered a heavy duty truck. You can haul and tow with them and I do, I have no regrets about mine having reduced tow and haul capacities. For me it is the best of both worlds it rides like a 1500, it is unstoppable off road and if I ever do have an issue off road the winch allows me to go places I shouldn't with my camper. I didn't buy my Power Wagon without researching and considering my real world use for it. That being said I love having an unstoppable truck when I'm driving across a mountain range in January. Also driving it to the stop and shop, and watching all the 17 year old kids drool on themselves when they see it!

It all comes down to your needs. The first RAM I fell in love with was a Granite Crystal Laramie, but I needed/wanted the towing capacity more than I needed/wanted the off-road ability. So I bought a regular 2500 Laramie in Granite Crystal. It'll go anywhere off road I'll need it to go and towing isn't an issue. If I ever get back into offroading, I'll get another Jeep and the Truck can tow it too. Just all depends on your needs.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
air bags make a world of difference, along with placement of the load. the payload capacity sucks on paper, but real world the truck does pretty good aside from sagging. if you solve that i bet your issue goes away.