2016 Ram 2500 Hitch Drop Recommendation Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

g_gomez_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.4

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Evening forum team,

I have a 2016 ram 2500 4x4, and need to haul a 2 horse trailer this weekend, but don't have an appropriate hitch to haul the trailer with. I'm thinking of purchasing the following hitch, but don't know if i should go with the 5" drop or 3" drop. Your recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S0N2RU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A5GMD68O5WF03

Depends on the trailer(s). That said, the ball I keep on my truck is a 3" drop. Most trailers ride a little nose high with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
What you want to do is park the trailer on a level area and use the tongue jack to make it sit level.

Use a bubble level to check. Then measure the distance from the ground to the top of the inside of the ball socket. Then look for an appropriate drop shank to get you that same distance to rhe top of the ball on the shank. You want the trailer level or slightly nose LOW. Nose high promotes trailer sway.

That two horse trailer loaded may be pretty heavy so make sure the shank and ball are rated for the weight. Trailer balls come in several weight ratings. Usually listed on top of the ball. Good luck

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You measure to the bottom of the ball socket. Then the bottom edge of the receiver to determine drop. Standard rule is up to 2 inches high or low from level you should be ok.

I set my trailer on my ball then measured with the sag on the truck before I purchased the drop. But if it's a one off (not frequent towing the horse trailer) you shouldn't need to go that far.

Last edited:

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If you're willing to put out the cash, the Bulletproof Hitches will meet all of your bumper pull needs today and well into the future.

http://www.bulletproofhitches.com

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would get the one you linked to. It up to a 5 in drop and it's adjustable. It always better to have some extra adjustment.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
A picture is worth a thousand words...BUT...Since this website software will no longer re-size pic files that are too large, I will have to explain...My trailer weighs 5500# loaded...Tongue wt is around 500#...This will squat the truck approx. 1"...I use a Draw-Tite Reciever hitch with a 5-6" drop...It also pushes the trailer away from the truck an additional 3-4"...This will allow the tailgate to fully open without hitting the tongue jack...With this setup the trailer rides with a 1.5" pitch up from front to back....
Similar to this ball mount hitch style
http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45427.html

Last edited:

cmills4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Evening forum team,
I have a 2016 ram 2500 4x4, and need to haul a 2 horse trailer this weekend, but don't have an appropriate hitch to haul the trailer with. I'm thinking of purchasing the following hitch, but don't know if i should go with the 5" drop or 3" drop. Your recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S0N2RU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A5GMD68O5WF03
I run a B&W 7" adjustable drop hitch on mine and its perfect for any trailer i put behind it whether its a heavier load or a light and low trailer for the motorcycles or bass boat.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
As mentioned a lot of it depends on the trailer tongue height.
Of coarse an adjustable like you are thinking about gives you more flexibility.
I purchased the Husky Liners Ball Mounts - HL17201 off of e-trailers & it was cheaper than the one you are looking at. I think it is rated for 10,000lbs. I went with the 6" drop & I have to use every bit of it with the utility trailer I just purchased. When I pull the boat I bump it up to only a 4" drop. These 2500's really sit up high even at stock level.
I am sure it is much heavier than some of the aluminum ones out there but I think it is a very good hitch for the money.