2500 HEMI vs Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah this is where it gets gray on me. I get that the diesel is better at everything but do I need it? I tow my boat at a distance greater than 5 miles about 6 trips a year so 12 total times. Each trip is roughly 200 miles each way so 2400 miles of actual towing. So far we've not towed anything farther not because we have no where to go but I'm not comfortable towing 600 miles on way in the 1500 over some major evelation passes.

So... if I got the diesel I'd probably be wanting to tow from the PNW to Baja tomorrow! Haha. In all seriousness though I think that a HEMI would do the job fine just at less effeciency and from what others have told me at a potential greater cost in wear and tear plus fuel burn.

In the end, diesel seems like the winner. I found a dealer willing to give me a decent price in trade so I'll dive in tomorrow and roll the dice :)

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope you do whats right for you, and looking forward to pics of the new beast no matter what it burns.

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Should I be concerned about the DEF tank and having to deal with it? I've never owned a diesel and I've been reading up the 2013 models. The fuel burn rates sound really promising both for city and towing however I had forgotten about the need to deal with DEF :(

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hope you do whats right for you, and looking forward to pics of the new beast no matter what it burns.

I personally don't know anything about the DEF but I second this^^^. Post up pics of whatever you do wind up getting, and I hope it all goes smoothly for ya!

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It's late and I'm pouring over the PDF manuals ;) I'll finalize the deal tomorrow and drive the 400 miles on Sat to pick it up. They're putting us up in a free hotel room to boot!

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
DAMN! That's awesome! I'm amazed you got them to put you up in a hotel room haha. But good for you pouring over the PDF manuals. That's way more than I did before buying my ram. I just got lucky and picked the best truck in the world lol

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Light duty operation such as light trailer towing or no load operation will extend the time before the engine is at full efficiency. Reduced fuel economy and power may be seen at this time.
• Because of the construction of the Cummins® turbocharged diesel engine, engine run-in is enhanced by loaded operating conditions which allow the engine parts to achieve final finish and fit during the first 6,000 miles (10 000 km).
So they want me to tow my boat right off the lot? Lol so awesome. Heaviest towing season is upon us now. Guess I have an excuse to grind out some longer trips with the boat.

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So you're going for the Cummins? Either way, I hope you get the right truck for you and that YOU want.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new truck!

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So you're going for the Cummins? Either way, I hope you get the right truck for you and that YOU want.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new truck!
I think I should... for $80/month it seems worth it in the long run. I'll just buy less junk at the store each month ;)

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think I should... for $80/month it seems worth it in the long run. I'll just buy less junk at the store each month ;)

That definitely sounds like it would be well worth the sacrifice for a Cummins :waytogo:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm impressed that you got the payment delta down to $80.
Is it a manual trans?

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm impressed that you got the payment delta down to $80.
Is it a manual trans?
It's an auto; as much as I love manual not sure I want to tow with a manual.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed, I was just trying to figure out the price diff. When I priced a 2500 w/Cummins because of the "free diesel upgrade" off I was shocked at the price of the auto trans!

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Agreed, I was just trying to figure out the price diff. When I priced a 2500 w/Cummins because of the "free diesel upgrade" off I was shocked at the price of the auto trans!

From all the stickers I've seen the normal 68RFE auto trans is like $500 added cost. The Aisin is like $2,600!