2500 HEMI vs Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Going crazy talking with banks today... finally got what I wanted... a 2.49% at 84 months. Once the paperwork is done, we'll be making a road trip!!!!!!!!!!!!

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Going crazy talking with banks today... finally got what I wanted... a 2.49% at 84 months. Once the paperwork is done, we'll be making a road trip!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats man!! Very happy for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Gtsum27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think u made the right choice. I got a 2013 1500 Laramie and I like it a lot, but have been a bit disappointed with the towing mpg....and I'm only towning four wheelers and gear (through blue ridge mountains). Also, the hemi seems to make its power higher up in the rpms....city driving could be more responsive I think....I think I will keep the truck til end of year and see if I can go to a 2500 with a diesel. Dumb question, but r the 2013 2500's interior same or different than the 1500's (cuz I really like my Laramie interior). Looking forward to the pics!

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Congrats on your new rig, can't wait for the pics.

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I think u made the right choice. I got a 2013 1500 Laramie and I like it a lot, but have been a bit disappointed with the towing mpg....and I'm only towning four wheelers and gear (through blue ridge mountains). Also, the hemi seems to make its power higher up in the rpms....city driving could be more responsive I think....I think I will keep the truck til end of year and see if I can go to a 2500 with a diesel. Dumb question, but r the 2013 2500's interior same or different than the 1500's (cuz I really like my Laramie interior). Looking forward to the pics!
I think the interior is the same minus the leather style. I was able to get the new multi view instrument panel and the Uconnect 8.4 with nav. Pretty stoked about that. It's not a Laramie, it's a BigHorn SLT. I wanted their Outdoorsman but they didn't have the seat configuration I needed.

mtday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good choice on the Cummins. I had a 2011 2500 Hemi for 18 months, 40k miles, and I couldn't handle the towing mileage or lack of highway power. I tow 6k five days a week, and was getting around 7-8mpg with my 7x14 enclosed. I had to kick it down to 3rd quite often just to maintain 55-60 mph.

The 2013 Cummins is a dream to tow with, heads and tails above the Hemi powered truck. It also rides way better, not sure if that's a 2013 difference over 2011, but it's a huge difference. As I'm sure you've read, fuel mileage is awesome on the 2013 Cummins too. I'm spending much less per month now because of the fuel savings, this is after a $150/mo payment increase.

Also, DEF usage is about 1000 miles per gallon for me. This is towing almost all the time too which uses more DEF.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm going crazy because I don't see any pics yet!!!

It's okay, just go outside and keep staring at your new diesel until he posts up pics and you'll make it! lol

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Sitting in Idaho right now, waiting on papers :) I haven't driven the truck yet but the admiral has already added 4 accessories. I need to get out of here now! She's gonna buy another truck.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
hahah I'm assuming "the admiral" is your wife?

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Sitting in Idaho right now, waiting on papers :) I haven't driven the truck yet but the admiral has already added 4 accessories. I need to get out of here now! She's gonna buy another truck.

So you're at Dave Smith, I was going to go there.

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So you're at Dave Smith, I was going to go there.

Yeah Dave Smith was amazing. Totally worth the 13 hour round trip drive. We're on our way back now, I finally gave up control in driving. I did 10 hours today... Zzzzzzz.

One hiccup at Dave Smith kept us there two hours longer than expected. They lost the truck.... Even with their tracking thingy they couldn't find it after it was detailed... Ugh. And since they couldn't find it they couldn't add the admirals (yes, the wife) accessories. They handled it professionally and gave me extra money off the accessories plus a deal on a max care warranty. We left extremely satisfied and I'll definitely go back in the future. Even thought at this rate we'll be more after 12am after leaving at 5:30 this morning.

Did I mention I'm in love with this truck? I'm still trying to understand all the different things about diesel but if one ever has the Hemi vs Diesel question and know they're going to be towing bigger loads, diesel all the way. It's amazing stepping on the gas and watching the RPMs stay below 2,000 while the turbo kicks in and boom up the hills you go. I can't wait to tow with this beast.

Pics will come tomorrow once I get some daylight and sleep :)

8730999962_8cc240a39e.jpg

The dash is sexy though...

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hell yeah man!! Congrats!! That's awesome and I can't wait to see more pics. That sucks they lost the truck ( I didn't even know that was possible lol) but I'm glad they made up for it.

Kevn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Having this same conflict myself now. Wasn't happy with how the Hemi towed on the hills last weekend once loaded up and was shocked by how much fuel it burned. Was looking in to doing some mods but thought I'd contact the dealer just to see how much more payments would be if I traded in on a diesel. All they had in longbox was a Laramie dually, and payments will be $300 more per month. Was pretty impressed with that going from a 2500 slt to a 3500 diesel Laramie and am thinking of doing it. Any downsides to a dually?

OP
OP
HonuTime

HonuTime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Live anywhere close to Idaho? Worth the trip :)