350 mile round trip tow 6.4 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Just completed the longest camper pull yet with the 2500 tradesman ccsb 6.4l hemi 4.10 gears. Truck is completely stock. Just did first oil change with amsoil prior to leaving. Truck had 3238 miles before trip. Terrain was ranged from flat from sandusky county in Ohio to Vinton county in southeastern ohio. Which is around 30 minutes north of Athens ohio. Towed our 314bhds Jayco eagle camper. Probably weighing around 9k lbs. I would say the truck did very well. Only a couple hills it needed 3rd gear to easily maintain 65. I did find that truck wanted to stay in 4th rather than 5th gear even though it could easily run 5th. Instead if taking out of tow haul I would set cruise at say 60 then use decel button to 55 quickly then it would shift into 5th. Then I would hit the accel button a few times to bring back up to 60. This is where I wish the ram had a true manual mode like the ford. I do not know why they don't have this feature. All in all truck handled everything well. Averaged 8.5mpg. Running mostly 60-65mph. I am really curious how this truck would do with a 5er. I want to get one some day but I think I will have to wait until a one ton comes around. The 5er we like is the cougar 336bhs which I think would be a wee bit too much pin weight for the truck. Kicking self in butt for not getting the 3500. Oh and also I used my prodigy p3 in lieu of the factory brake controller. Definitely better braking response from trailer with the prodigy. Hope this provides some good info for people. Thanks.

Nathan

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500 "Black Top" Edition 6.4L
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the write up, I was looking at the Cougar 5th wheels just yesterday. I have the 3500 but with the 3.73s, haven't decided if I wanna go up (size and $$) yet though. Right now I have a 28' TT, about 7300#. I'm going from New England to SoCal in July, 4.10s and a 5th wheel would be more enjoyable I think though.

OP
OP

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
The cougar seem pretty nice. One thing I thought they skimp on is there outdoor storage doors. They seem thin and flimsy. Open range makes some nice trailers. They have a tt that has a 5er layout in the front that I really like. It may be my compromise for a 5er.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks for the write up, I was looking at the Cougar 5th wheels just yesterday. I have the 3500 but with the 3.73s, haven't decided if I wanna go up (size and $$) yet though. Right now I have a 28' TT, about 7300#. I'm going from New England to SoCal in July, 4.10s and a 5th wheel would be more enjoyable I think though.

Don't be afraid of the 3:73's with a 5er. I'm in upstate NY, and have a 11# dry wt Laredo I tow with a SRW 3500 with 3:73. And I'm coming from a diesel.

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500 "Black Top" Edition 6.4L
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't be afraid of the 3:73's with a 5er. I'm in upstate NY, and have a 11# dry wt Laredo I tow with a SRW 3500 with 3:73. And I'm coming from a diesel.

That's encouraging, now if you can just give me the motivation to spend the money!! Haha

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm running with 3.73 gears hauling a 10K 5th wheel. To make the truck do what I want I just manually shift 90% of the time (when towing). The automatic shift points are just late and not when I want them. When letting the tranny do it's thing I find it to be harsh. Like if someone were holding a cup of coffee without a lid it would spill with the tranny's brain. With a bit of predicating by looking at the terrain ahead it's a MUCH more smooth drive.

I haven't been too annoyed at it holding to high of a gear. Usually, it's the opposite. Keeping in mind, the extra 1-2K# I have, the added wind resistance of a 5th wheel and the lower rear end is probably just enough that I really can't hold 5th.

Last edited:

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Just completed the longest camper pull yet with the 2500 tradesman ccsb 6.4l hemi 4.10 gears. Truck is completely stock. Just did first oil change with amsoil prior to leaving. Truck had 3238 miles before trip. Terrain was ranged from flat from sandusky county in Ohio to Vinton county in southeastern ohio. Which is around 30 minutes north of Athens ohio. Towed our 314bhds Jayco eagle camper. Probably weighing around 9k lbs. I would say the truck did very well. Only a couple hills it needed 3rd gear to easily maintain 65. I did find that truck wanted to stay in 4th rather than 5th gear even though it could easily run 5th. Instead if taking out of tow haul I would set cruise at say 60 then use decel button to 55 quickly then it would shift into 5th. Then I would hit the accel button a few times to bring back up to 60. This is where I wish the ram had a true manual mode like the ford. I do not know why they don't have this feature. All in all truck handled everything well. Averaged 8.5mpg. Running mostly 60-65mph. I am really curious how this truck would do with a 5er. I want to get one some day but I think I will have to wait until a one ton comes around. The 5er we like is the cougar 336bhs which I think would be a wee bit too much pin weight for the truck. Kicking self in butt for not getting the 3500. Oh and also I used my prodigy p3 in lieu of the factory brake controller. Definitely better braking response from trailer with the prodigy. Hope this provides some good info for people. Thanks.

Nathan

Awesome review, I see that the cougar 336bhs hitch weight is only 1890 lbs so you still have a little room their, but congrats on your new 2500 I'm still waiting on mines with the 4.10 gears. I was thinking about the 3500 6.4L after I order mines but I think that I will be happy with it, I have being looking at the Jayco 27.5 HT 5'er.

OP
OP

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I weighed my truck with all the family and full tank of gas. It weighed 7490. Rear axle was around 3200lbs I think. Gvwr is 10k. Don't know if I would be over or not with the cougar. Most likely not on gawr. Only the gvwr.

jbnimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4 4.10

Nathan
Use the +/- on the column shift for manual gears

OP
OP

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Use the +/- on the column shift for manual gears

The Ram manual mode is a "range selector" per Ram.It is not a true manual mode like say in the Ford. In the Ford you can use range selection then in the shift tree there is also an M for manual mode which is a true manual mode. If Ram had this feature then I could use 5th gear when the computer is wanting to hang in 4th at a high rpm when it could easily shift into 5th gear. So in other words in our trucks you can shift it manually to a point but you do not have full control. I also wish the gear indicator would update dynamically to show current gear. That would be great. I am not trying to rep Ford here but that is a feature they have also.