3/4 or 1 ton, towing with 65psi load range "E"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
does anyone with a 3/4 or 1 ton srw have experience towing with a load range E tire that has a max psi of 65. I was never to concerned about this as it is still rated at the load index im looking for but it defiantly on the low end. just wondering who has experience towing with a tire like this? are they really that much worse when some say the feel squishy under load.

I know its all about the width of the tire when they get dropped down to 65 pis. Any E rated LT tire with a width over a 295/#/# drops from 80 psi to 65 psi.

any towing experience with them?

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
does anyone with a 3/4 or 1 ton srw have experience towing with a load range E tire that has a max psi of 65. I was never to concerned about this as it is still rated at the load index im looking for but it defiantly on the low end. just wondering who has experience towing with a tire like this? are they really that much worse when some say the feel squishy under load.

I know its all about the width of the tire when they get dropped down to 65 pis. Any E rated LT tire with a width over a 295/#/# drops from 80 psi to 65 psi.

any towing experience with them?

Ya. I've towed everything from snowmobile trailers to 12k minI ex. Never had any issues. Do they feel a little squishy, not terribly so. I usually run my 80 psi tires around 70 psi all the time.

What do you plan on towing?

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ya. I've towed everything from snowmobile trailers to 12k minI ex. Never had any issues. Do they feel a little squishy, not terribly so. I usually run my 80 psi tires around 70 psi all the time.

Mothing "planned" for a while as far as travel trailers go. The wife and I do want one but we want to wait till her 15 month old gets a little older. For now I mostly don't want to limit my trucks abilities. I will always end up finding myself towing something somewhat close to the max trailer wait or max payload.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Do you currently have a load range E tires at max out at 65?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I run 37x13.5r22 Toyo MT's which are load range E and maxed at 65 psi. When they're aired up I don't notice them feeling too squishy at all. Nothing that I would consider out of the norm. That's towing +/- 10,000 lbs.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wouldn't worry as much about the PSI as I would about what the max # at that PSI is. The tires should always be capable of carrying what the axle is. Unless this is something that comes up with over-sized tires. I've never put over-sized tires on anything so maybe I'm showing my ignorance. What is weight rating on the tires?

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I wouldn't worry as much about the PSI as I would about what the max # at that PSI is. The tires should always be capable of carrying what the axle is. Unless this is something that comes up with over-sized tires. I've never put over-sized tires on anything so maybe I'm showing my ignorance. What is weight rating on the tires?

Assuming your talking about the "load index" its just a fancy chart that tells you the weight you tire can hold. So a 305/65/18 bfg a/t k02 will have a number after it with i think its 122 or 124 ish load lindex

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Towing I think it would be fine, but I know when I load up my camper that the factory tires at 80 they pooch alot.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Assuming your talking about the "load index" its just a fancy chart that tells you the weight you tire can hold. So a 305/65/18 bfg a/t k02 will have a number after it with i think its 122 or 124 ish load lindex

I'm talking about the weight stamped on the tire. I think mine says something like "Max load 3405LBS @ 80PSI" This is where my ignorance may come in. I'm just assuming all truck tires have this. I was just looking at the D Range RV tires on my 5th wheel and they say, "Max load 2580LBS @ 65PSI."

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm talking about the weight stamped on the tire. I think mine says something like "Max load 3405LBS @ 80PSI" This is where my ignorance may come in. I'm just assuming all truck tires have this. I was just looking at the D Range RV tires on my 5th wheel and they say, "Max load 2580LBS @ 65PSI."

it all means the same thing, meaning the load index and the weight printed on tires.

thank you for the help guys.
being that the wider tires get bumped down to 65 there is still more tire on the road so you get more square inches to spread the weight out on. probably don't end up "squishing" down any further than my current tires at 70.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Here's a link that fully explains what the load rating number means.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoLoadIndex.dos

Stock Transforce A/T have a service rating of 125R. This means they can carry a max of 3638lbs each and have a maximum tested speed rating of 106mph.

Speed index definitions can be found here: Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions.

If you go to a 124R rated tire, you're loosing 440lbs total max payload (110x4 tires). Going to a 122R tire, you lose 1320lbs max payload.

All of this is assuming that the GVWR of the truck is in line with what the tires can carry. For a 3500, I'm not sure what the GVWR is, but for my 2500, I don't mind going to a 124R tire, and will be in September, because the tires combined can support over 14000lbs, which is 4000lbs over my GVWR.

Hope that helps. I've been doing a ton of research on tires lately because I'm about to buy some new ones and I want to get it right the first time lol.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Here's a link that fully explains what the load rating number means.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoLoadIndex.dos

Stock Transforce A/T have a service rating of 125R. This means they can carry a max of 3638lbs each and have a maximum tested speed rating of 106mph.

Speed index definitions can be found here: Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions.

If you go to a 124R rated tire, you're loosing 440lbs total max payload (110x4 tires). Going to a 122R tire, you lose 1320lbs max payload.

All of this is assuming that the GVWR of the truck is in line with what the tires can carry. For a 3500, I'm not sure what the GVWR is, but for my 2500, I don't mind going to a 124R tire, and will be in September, because the tires combined can support over 14000lbs, which is 4000lbs over my GVWR.

Hope that helps. I've been doing a ton of research on tires lately because I'm about to buy some new ones and I want to get it right the first time lol.

thanks for the post. I know all about load ratings. just simply asking about experiences towing with load range "E" tires that max at 65psi..... related to squishy feelings when towing heavy.

thats all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr