3.6 pentstar towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wonder if anyone pulls any trailers with the 3.6..?

Currently I have a 13 ram 1500 with the 5.7 6 speed 3.55. at my old job I towed with it every day ..same trailer

Now I'm at a new job..im driving about 350 miles a week and of that I tow about 90 miles. Pulling a 6x12 enclosed standard height enclosed trailer. Around 3k to 3500 max weight it will see .

I really like the 8 speed after driving a couple..and I towed this trailer with the v6 8dpeed for a couple days when mine was in the shop..and it seemed to do pretty good...

My question is would the v6 be up to towing 90 miles a week ? Considering I would have like 160 miles a week saving gas with that v6...or is the v6 speed much better on gas then the 5.7 6 speed.

I would want to get the 4 door 4x4 and probably the tallest rear end they come with..

I have looked into the ed..but there has been some issues..not to mention. The hotel t cost and all the maintenance...

What kind of mpg are you guys getting in your 3.6 empty or pullung?

goodguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My brother gets 18.5 on a bad day with his empty. He's got the 3.55 rear end. Little guy actually moves that truck pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I don't own one, but for a 3500 lb loaded trailer, i don't think that would be a problem at all for the V6.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That's sort of a two sided answer. The V6 will probably do better fuel economy wise just driving but the Hemi would do better towing. The EcoD will probably get just as good fuel mileage towing as either of the gas engines not towing. Towing 3K behind mine still gets 20 mpg.
What "maintenance costs" with the EcoD(everyone loves to throw this out there)?? Rotella T6 Oil changes every 10K miles are just slightly above a full synthetic oil change for a Hemi. DEF usage is upwards of 1500 miles to the gallon.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just traded my 2015 Pentastar and I towed a 6x10 fully loaded trailer 3300 kms last year. No issues what so ever. It was also a QC 6.4 bed. My new truck is a CC 6.4 bed and the Pentastar isn't offered in that configuration here in Canada. You shouldn't have any problems towing that trailer with the v6.

OP
OP
S

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I wasn't sure on the def cost. Others have said things like injectors at 100 150k. Doesn't the turbo or booster whatever it's called lol need to be changed after so long or fixed. There are more items that can break right ? And more expensive to work on....only going from what I read because I have no idea.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The little v6 I would think should do fine. Maybe rent one and hook your trailer up to it and give her a spin if your worried. I think fuel mileage while towing would be pretty ruff the v6s like to rev when towing. That 8 speed and v6 pretty solid combo though.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Others have said things like injectors at 100 150k. Doesn't the turbo or booster whatever it's called lol need to be changed after so long or fixed. There are more items that can break right ? And more expensive to work on....only going from what I read because I have no idea.

don't believe everything you read from people that don't own one.
No issues with the turbos or injectors having to replaced at any given mileage. They many EcoDs on a forum specific for them that are well into the 100K mile range(several more reported I to the 200K) with no major issues. One owner delivers trailers with his, he is pushing 280K(most of which had a trailer in tow) and I think the only major repair for him has been a front wheel bearing assembly(same ones used in all RAMs).