4000-4500 lb trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello,

I'm going to take my first traverl trailer with my ram. I had a 3500 lb travel trailer with sierra and I didn't need tow bar ( but it was a hilo trailer, so the trailer was really low )

The new trailer I bought a 24 feets ( 3800 lb don't know if it's dry weight or not )

The guy who sell me the trailer gave me a set of tow bars with it. Does I need to install them with a trailer of that weight ?

What is the main function of those bars ?

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The idea behind the distribution bars is to distribute the tongue weight applied to your rear axle baxk to the trailer axles and steering axle, pushing the steer axle back down to enhance towing safety and control.

3800lbs and 24'? Almost certain thats a dry weight. Use the bars.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What Smurf said. They get the weight back on the front axle of the truck so you can steer and have control. Use 'em.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
If you have em, use 'em. It will definitely make the ride smoother.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They'll also help with coil spring sag from the tongue weight

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
And they will help dampen the "porpoising", you can experience on some of our less finely maintained highways. As everyone else says - use them.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely. Use them. Firms the ride up regardless.

Also, at night, prevents you from blinding other drivers from your rear sagging throwing your lights up.

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
A weight distro hitch transfers some of the load from the truck's rear axle to the front axle. As mentioned, this has the dual benefit of reducing rear squat and reducing the desire of the front of the truck to get light when porpoising.

Here's the key. You want to get the weight distro hitch ferociously tight or it won't do any good because it won't transfer hardly any weight. Use the tongue jack to lift the center of your trailer-truck rig quite a bit, then connect your bars nice and tight. When you back off on the tongue jack the weight distro bars will hopefully have a couple hundred lbs of load.

A weight distro hitch is a hassle but the improved ride is worth it.

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok thank you. I will install them. I sold my old 1987 travel trailer last week and I'm getting my new one tomorrow.

This will be the first thing I will haul with my ram. :head3:

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pics of the new rig when you get it.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very wise decision.

The huge dang TT was my wife's decision.

I've been sore lately about it.

I woulda been happy with somethin in the size you got.

In truth, I'm a bit jealous/envious, etc, over your combo because i don't think you'll have near the stress that I have while towing.

Good thing I don't mind the grey in my beard!

congrats :)

Keep in touch with us. Let us know how she does.

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thank you ! :)

I had a 1 hour highway and a 20 km urban trip from where I bought it to my house.

It was a rainy day with some hard Wind. The first thing I noticed was the ( don't know how to say this in English ) the trailer was push hard by the winds. Nothing extrem, but my hilo trailer was far better for this even without any tow bar and sway bar. But I can't complained, that not to bad for something that size.

The 5.7 and the 3.92 pulled this trailer easily compared to my sierra 4.8 with the 3.08.

Also the braking seems better.

I don't know how the used travel trailer market is in the us, but for here I got a huge deal on this trailer. 3500 $ with the bar kit and like I said the trailer is like a brand new.

All I need now it's a good warm temperature, because now the weather is crap . Today it was 4 C° ( 39 F°) and I still have a 3 foots of snow in my yard haha

And sorry for my English I tried to do my best :D

Last edited:

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You got a good deal!

At least, when using my area as base/comparison.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow. It's very well taken care of. Surprised at how clean on the inside. Congrats ami. Now get camping.

Wipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2014 ram 1500 crew cab and i'm going to buy a 24' cargo trailor. Will this be hard on the truck or will it be to big for it? Any awnsers?

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
a 24' cargo trailer weight around 3500-4000 lb. Depending of what you will put inside it will be too much. Exept if you planned to tow 24' of foam

Dont forget that you truck is designed to tow up to 9200 with no passenger or nothing in the bed. But at 9200 lb I guess your truck wont last long before something broke if tow often.

Last edited: