4.56 Gears increase tow capacity to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 1500 Hemi, just put in 4.56 gears mainly to compensate for the 35" tires. Any idea what the 4.56's will increase my tow capacity to now?

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Legally, nothing. The truck is rated to tow what it is by the mfg and thats that. Will it and could it pull more now? Yes. But IMO 90% of the stock ratings on a 1500 is already the max i would be comfortable with before wanting an HD to keep the weight stable.

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Legally, nothing. The truck is rated to tow what it is by the mfg and thats that. Will it and could it pull more now? Yes. But IMO 90% of the stock ratings on a 1500 is already the max i would be comfortable with before wanting an HD to keep the weight stable.

True words! Payload and axle ratings are the downfall of all half tons. That being said it should be a beast to drive and will pull your max weights with more authority

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep payload and tires are the limiting factors. In many cases the engines in the half tons are close or the same as in the gasser HDs. That being said with the bigger tires it will get the load moving much better.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Legally, nothing. The truck is rated to tow what it is by the mfg and thats that.

Wrongo, ram has no legal tow numbers, only marketing numbers. You can tow whatever you want as long as it's within GVWR GAWR and hitch rating.

To OP. If you changed your axle to compensate for the tires, and still have the same effective ratio, there's going to be no change in load.

If you have the v8 you would not be limited by the engine and cooling (which is what the gearing helps with) unless you were towing up steep grades so it was probably moot anyway.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
True words! Payload and axle ratings are the downfall of all half tons. That being said it should be a beast to drive and will pull your max weights with more authority

**** son... I just looked at a 2500 Longhorn Cummins, that HD only has a payload of 2100 lbs!!! Sure it can tow 16000 lbs just don't have anyone in the vehicle with you. Now admittedly the 6.4 gasser HD has a payload of 3100 but only tows 12K.

So it's not just the 1500s

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
**** son... I just looked at a 2500 Longhorn Cummins, that HD only has a payload of 2100 lbs!!! Sure it can tow 16000 lbs just don't have anyone in the vehicle with you. Now admittedly the 6.4 gasser HD has a payload of 3100 but only tows 12K.

So it's not just the 1500s

Goes up to 15K with 4.10s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

HEED these words.

Some will tell you you don't have to.

I can tell you from first hand experience, you better follow them or it will get expensive.

Do people go over the ratings all the time..yep

Did they get in trouble, probably not, but does everyone who speeds get a ticket ??

All I know is when I asked the people who write these tickets, that is what I was told..go over any of the manufacturers ratings/recommendations, you can get in trouble.
(yes, it is wordsmithing to say ratings & recommendations are not the same)

Go over the ratings you are registered for, you can get in trouble.

It's your money & truck, so you can do what you want, just giving a warning.

I found this out while trying to register my 97 3500 12v 5 spd 4x4. The PO had it registered using car plates and had an empty weight of 4100 listed, and a GCWR of 7500 listed....all so he could get cheaper car plates vice the truck plates he should have had.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So by the math the 6.4 can out tow the cummins... interesting

It's all about keeping the weights in check to keep the 2500 as a class II truck. The Cummins/transmission combo are about 1000 lbs heavier than the 6.4 combo. There is your difference.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These numbers are what I was referring to in the post.

Then you need to be more clear, you said;

Legally, nothing. The truck is rated to tow what it is by the mfg and thats that.

Rams are not rated for towing. Therefor you are constrained by other specs. "rated to carry" would make sense, "rated to tow" is wrong. (exception of the hitch rating, which to drive the point home, is lower than some of the recommended max trailer weights... )

HEED these words.

Some will tell you you don't have to.

I can tell you from first hand experience, you better follow them or it will get expensive.

Do people go over the ratings all the time..yep

Did they get in trouble, probably not, but does everyone who speeds get a ticket ??

All I know is when I asked the people who write these tickets, that is what I was told..go over any of the manufacturers ratings/recommendations, you can get in trouble.

You do not have firsthand experience of getting a ticket for "violating" rams recommended GCWR, that is not an official rating. Period. What your buddies buddy who is a pretend DOT officer told you is not important.

Speeding actually IS illegal, not a comparison.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
It's all about keeping the weights in check to keep the 2500 as a class II truck. The Cummins/transmission combo are about 1000 lbs heavier than the 6.4 combo. There is your difference.

Oh I get the "game" of weights and measures.

I just feel a lot of people do not.

So now for my real input to this thread -- sorry for the derailing...

The 4.56 will help you get the load moving from a stop way better. It will help maintain the speed at grades, alas with higher RPMs...

but as I always say... MAKE SURE YOU SET UP THE BRAKE GAIN CORRECTLY TO STOP and help with maintaining control under braking conditions.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Rams are not rated for towing. Therefor you are constrained by other specs. "rated to carry" would make sense, "rated to tow" is wrong. (exception of the hitch rating, which to drive the point home, is lower than some of the recommended max trailer weights... )

You do not have firsthand experience of getting a ticket for "violating" rams recommended GCWR, that is not an official rating. Period. What your buddies buddy who is a pretend DOT officer told you is not important.

You are right, I didn't get a ticket, cuz I followed the ratings/rules.

There is no buddies buddy crap...I spoke to the Capt in charge of enforcing the laws that govern commercial vehicles or anyone towing here in VA...HE is who told me.

I didn't go after you like you just did me or try to insult you or anything like that,....I simply stated to heed the rules, or it could get painful, and I stated WHY I said that, and that it was told to me 1st hand, not some body telling some body who told me.

You can't accept that, I get it. That doesn't mean it isn't true or factual.

I can only give advice, I can't make anyone follow it....that's on them.

And on the speeding thing, illegal or not or whatever you want to call it.......Not everyone who speeds gets a ticket, just like not everyone who tows overweight gets caught.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
.I spoke to the Capt in charge of enforcing the laws that govern commercial vehicles or anyone towing here in VA...HE is who told me.

Most commercial vehicles actually have a tow rating, or at least a registration. That's what he was talking about. You misunderstanding what he said or vise versa doesn't make what you are stating in the context of a ram 1500 fact.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's

I need to be more clear? Lol.

CLEARLY what I said meant Rams GVW/GCVW/GTW RATINGS, etc (who wouldnt get that?) and just because I simply summed that up as a "tow" rating you want to look like an internet know it all.

How about "Towing & Payload Capacity-Learn more about your trucks towing power" / "Sort By: Maximum Towing / Maximum Payload" - Taken right from Ram's website. Does Ram need to re-word their site title to be on point with your technical wording standards? No those are probably OK. Lol.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need to be more clear? Lol.

CLEARLY what I said meant Rams GVW/GCVW/GTW RATINGS, etc (who wouldnt get that?) and just because I simply summed that up as a "tow" rating you want to look like an internet know it all.

No you didn't you said tow ratings. That is a separate rating that can be over or under all the other ratings. It's not the same. Period.

How about "Towing & Payload Capacity-Learn more about your trucks towing power" / "Sort By: Maximum Towing / Maximum Payload" - Taken right from Ram's website. Does Ram need to re-word their site title to be on point with your technical wording standards? No those are probably OK. Lol.

Ram doesn't need to reword their site. You need to learn to read. That says "towing capacity & payload capacity" but is abbreviated into "towing & payload capacity". Most people know how to read this, you... do not aparently. They are not saying they are synonymous.

Payload and towing don't always correlate. Once again, tow ratings and the other ratings are separate things, they are determined separately and often interdependently. Conflating them is a mistake. You can keep having a tantrum or simply accept this fact. You made a mistake, move on.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Being belligerent to others doesn't add any value to the discussion.

Exceeding your GVWR in most jurisdictions will earn you a big ticket and a time out, with your vehicle parked until your load is reduced.
Unless your tongue weight is dangerously low, your trailer weight is significantly limited by this fact.
Perhaps it's different in your particular locale.

That's not taking into account the registered weight limit some jurisdictions incorporate.
Which is something else entirely.

Furthermore, should you get into an injury accident with an overweight vehicle, let me be the first to wish you luck in court. You're going to need it.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Being belligerent to others doesn't add any value to the discussion.

Exceeding your GVWR in most jurisdictions will earn you a big ticket and a time out, with your vehicle parked until your load is reduced.
Unless your tongue weight is dangerously low, your trailer weight is significantly limited by this fact.
Perhaps it's different in your particular locale.

That's not taking into account the registered weight limit some jurisdictions incorporate.
Which is something else entirely.

Furthermore, should you get into an injury accident with an overweight vehicle, let me be the first to wish you luck in court. You're going to need it.

Pa==Pow a different angle...

Referencing GVWR and not CGVWR