5.7 Hemi in a 2500??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
looking at a 2500 Cummins Laramie. The available payload was only 2048lbs according to the sticker. This sounds low to me. The 2500 is $58,000 compared to mine at $33,000. So I have to pay $25,000 for an extra 550lbs of payload capability??? .

2048# is low for a 2500 diesel but I suppose that could be it. The piece of the puzzle you might not have got yet is the payload of a 2500 diesel is particularly low so that it can fit under the max GVWR of 10,000# and still remain a 3/4 ton truck.

A 3500 series with a GVWR is the same truck EXCEPT for the rear suspension is a bit weaker in the 2500 and the sticker says the 3500 can carry more (notice I say "carry" not "haul" because they can haul/pull the same). Many will point out a 2500 with some added rear suspension is the same (or maybe even better) than a 3500. Many others will argue the door sticker limits the truck. IMO a door sticker never caused the rear of my truck sag but that's just me :)

Reality is the FAWR and RAWR (axle ratings) are what matter for safety. That 2500 Laramie you mention has plenty of room to stay within those. Whether or not you want to exceed the GVWR of the truck is a personal choice.

Despite what you read on the internet, nobody is in prison for going 100# over the GVWR of their truck. That number is largely clerical. In fact, there are areas you can actually register your 2500 for more weight and just pay some more money. It's all about the axle ratings.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The 5ver we are looking at is a light weight. It has a dry pin weight of 1348lbs. Here is what I struggle with. My 1500 has an available payload of 1548lbs. This is according to the sticker on it. Now I just left the Dodge dealership looking at a 2500 Cummins Laramie. The available payload was only 2048lbs according to the sticker. This sounds low to me. The 2500 is $58,000 compared to mine at $33,000. So I have to pay $25,000 for an extra 550lbs of payload capability??? You stated your payload is 3100lbs. According to Dodge's towing guides and the sticker I looked at on the Tradesman you would be way over. It showed an available payload of 2243lbs. What am I missing here?? I also looked at the F150 3.5Eco boost. It had a payload of 1914lbs and a cost of only $50,000. Plus towing of 11,100 for the truck I looked at..

Not sure where your getting the payload rating of my truck from? If you'd like i can snap a photo of my yellow door jamb sticker for you. It's about 3100 if I remember correctly. Could be just under by a few pounds. The dodge website, when i run my vin says it's over 3200 lbs. So yes, i have over a ton and a half of payload in my 3/4 ton truck.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
2048# is low for a 2500 diesel but I suppose that could be it. The piece of the puzzle you might not have got yet is the payload of a 2500 diesel is particularly low so that it can fit under the max GVWR of 10,000# and still remain a 3/4 ton truck.

A 3500 series with a GVWR is the same truck EXCEPT for the rear suspension is a bit weaker in the 2500 and the sticker says the 3500 can carry more (notice I say "carry" not "haul" because they can haul/pull the same). Many will point out a 2500 with some added rear suspension is the same (or maybe even better) than a 3500. Many others will argue the door sticker limits the truck. IMO a door sticker never caused the rear of my truck sag but that's just me :)

Reality is the FAWR and RAWR (axle ratings) are what matter for safety. That 2500 Laramie you mention has plenty of room to stay within those. Whether or not you want to exceed the GVWR of the truck is a personal choice.

Despite what you read on the internet, nobody is in prison for going 100# over the GVWR of their truck. That number is largely clerical. In fact, there are areas you can actually register your 2500 for more weight and just pay some more money. It's all about the axle ratings.

Yes sir that's correct, but if your ever in an accident and hurt someone, the first thing the plantiff atty is going to do is weigh your rig. If your overweight, that fact will be exploited to the fullest degree. It's all about what one is comfortable with

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
6.4L 4x4 with 4.10s and standard box. What I'm about to say is not legal advice!

Last summer I I was a couple bags short of a full skid of river rock at Home Depot. The tow operator was refusing to set it in the truck due to payload concerns. The load was going to be over what the sticker in the door said.

After some discussions about what I normally used the truck for he cautiously agreed to load it up. The rig sagged a couple of inches. It impressed the hell out of the tow operator.

The drive home was a breeze. She handled it as if it were nothing.

These 2500s can take a lot. Much more than the legal eagles at the manufactures are willing to stand behind.

Would I do it constantly? No. Would I rack up hundreds of miles in one trip that loaded? Probably not. Safety first.

But, I have no doubt the truck could handle it.

Use at your own risk.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
6.4L 4x4 with 4.10s and standard box. What I'm about to say is not legal advice!

Last summer I I was a couple bags short of a full skid of river rock at Home Depot. The tow operator was refusing to set it in the truck due to payload concerns. The load was going to be over what the sticker in the door said.

After some discussions about what I normally used the truck for he cautiously agreed to load it up. The rig sagged a couple of inches. It impressed the hell out of the tow operator.

The drive home was a breeze. She handled it as if it were nothing.

These 2500s can take a lot. Much more than the legal eagles at the manufactures are willing to stand behind.

Would I do it constantly? No. Would I rack up hundreds of miles in one trip that loaded? Probably not. Safety first.

But, I have no doubt the truck could handle it.

Use at your own risk.

Ok, so what was the weight of the load?

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Tow operator said it was going to be 3500 lbs+ based on his math. I didn't roll across a scale, so have to take his word for it. I did have 3/4 tank of fuel and ~375 pounds of people to consider.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Oh, and as a sidebar, if you ever do that hire the neighbor kids to unload it. Ugh.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
similar reasoning for me too. Couldn't justify the Cummins.

But more importantly, 14 city 20 HWY? Is that happening consistently?

That's what I get in the summer. In the winter it's more like 12/18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
That's what I get in the summer. In the winter it's more like 12/18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These are pretty much my numbers as well. Check out my fuelly if you like to see?

I've seen up to 11.3 l/100km on longer trips (hand calculated).

As someone else mentioned, battling hills/wind etc will make a big difference and lower fuel mileage considerably.

YMMV

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes sir that's correct, but if your ever in an accident and hurt someone, the first thing the plantiff atty is going to do is weigh your rig. If your overweight, that fact will be exploited to the fullest degree. It's all about what one is comfortable with

This has been argued to death since the beginning of time (or at least since the beginning of the internet :)). If there was any relevant case law someone would have posted it by now on some forum and we'd all be talking about it (kind of like the Mangneson-Moss act with respect to modifications and warranties). I'm not saying it could never happen but a plaintiff attorney can weight whatever they want. Me and my attorney will drag an axle into court rated for well more than it was carrying :)

My main point to the question is the difference between the weight in a half ton vs. the 3/4. In the half ton when you go over your payload you almost immediately are over your axle and tire ratings. With a 3/4 you're not even close. There is a HUGE difference there and that is really the root of what was being asked.

rontimmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The 20 MPH on the highway has been pretty consistent, the 14 MPH in the city is since the dealer installed some updates during my last oil change. Before that I was still averaging around 13 MPH

rontimmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Dang it, I meant to put MPG on my last post not MPH. I'm going to blame it on fat fingers.