5.7 Hemi Front Axle Weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLM5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, you are correct, no 1500s have DRW

And I am also correct in that most people (like 99.5%) have no need to weigh their 1500 to determine axle weight. The only reason I mentioned my 3500 is cuz that is the only truck I have ever needed to weigh for any reason.

It's called an example.....

I'm guessing you mean that 99.5% don't tow anything. I don't know what that percentage is. I will argue that most people that tow a travel trailer should get weighed. Many of them would be very surprised at the results.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And I am also correct in that most people (like 99.5%) have no need to weigh their 1500 to determine axle weight.

Not from the data I've gathered in campgrounds and freeways around my town :)

Do you think campgrounds are the only places people drive 1500's ??

Yes, you are correct, no 1500s have DRW

And I am also correct in that most people (like 99.5%) have no need to weigh their 1500 to determine axle weight. The only reason I mentioned my 3500 is cuz that is the only truck I have ever needed to weigh for any reason.

It's called an example.....

I'm guessing you mean that 99.5% don't tow anything. I don't know what that percentage is. I will argue that most people that tow a travel trailer should get weighed. Many of them would be very surprised at the results.

Guess all you want....but if your truck is rated for 10000 lbs towing, and you tow in the 3000-6500 lb range like I do (& 99.5% of the other 1500 owners), there is no need to weigh anything.

For both of you.............Well, here's the rub.

There are 2 groups of people:

Group A -
Those who have a 1500 and tow well within it's capacities, so no need to weigh the truck to get axle weights (the 99.5%)

Group B -
Those who also own a 1500, but tow with it like it is a 2500, and they have no reason to weigh their vehicles either, cuz they've already decided it is safe to tow....and will use any justification they can to satisfy themselves. (the 0.5% in campgrounds)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you think campgrounds are the only places people drive 1500's ??

Guess all you want....but if your truck is rated for 10000 lbs towing, and you tow in the 3000-6500 lb range like I do (& 99.5% of the other 1500 owners), there is no need to weigh anything.

For both of you.............Well, here's the rub.

There are 2 groups of people:

Group A -
Those who have a 1500 and tow well within it's capacities, so no need to weigh the truck to get axle weights (the 99.5%)

Group B -
Those who also own a 1500, but tow with it like it is a 2500, and they have no reason to weigh their vehicles either, cuz they've already decided it is safe to tow....and will use any justification they can to satisfy themselves. (the 0.5% in campgrounds)

The catalyst for this thread was my buddy's 1500 Limited with about 1100# of payload. A 5000# trailer takes almost half of that payload. Then put 4 people at 150# and you're done. Better hope no one is carrying a latte or that you have one scrap of anything in the bed.

Standing on a soap box screaming at people to ignore the weight of their truck is really pretty ****** advice.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The catalyst for this thread was my buddy's 1500 Limited with about 1100# of payload. A 5000# trailer takes almost half of that payload. Then put 4 people at 150# and you're done. Better hope no one is carrying a latte or that you have one scrap of anything in the bed.

Standing on a soap box screaming at people to ignore the weight of their truck is really pretty ****** advice.

Not sure where you are getting this screaming crap, and I never said to ignore it........I DID say, that for most people, its doesn't matter.

Payload is payload......knowing your front axle weight isn't gonna change that. All it's gonna do it tempt you to go over it, and then get in more trouble possibly.

My 6500# camper takes up a very large chunk of my payload too, but I am still under it, WITHOUT having to weigh the front axle.

I also use a WD hitch, and that transfers some weight to the front axle, but not enough to approach any limit, so no need to weigh for that either.

My 3500 lb boat also takes up a big chunk, but again, I don't have to weigh my front axle to know I am still good.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not sure where you are getting this screaming crap, and I never said to ignore it........I DID say, that for most people, its doesn't matter.

Payload is payload......knowing your front axle weight isn't gonna change that. All it's gonna do it tempt you to go over it, and then get in more trouble possibly.

My 6500# camper takes up a very large chunk of my payload too, but I am still under it, WITHOUT having to weigh the front axle.

I also use a WD hitch, and that transfers some weight to the front axle, but not enough to approach any limit, so no need to weigh for that either.

My 3500 lb boat also takes up a big chunk, but again, I don't have to weigh my front axle to know I am still good.

Front axle I'd generally agree since it doesn't change much at all... post #17 you just said 99.5% of people have no reason to weigh their 1500 which is not even close to accurate. That's what I'm taking exception to.

I'm really not trying to split hairs and now that you clarify we generally agree. There are so many overloaded 1500s out there towing that I just can't imagine telling people not to weigh them. Many/most people are shocked at the numbers once they understand them. Salesman and TV commercials are borderline criminal for what they talk people into. Like anything, people need to be educated before throwing down the big $$. That's really my only point.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Front axle I'd generally agree since it doesn't change much at all... post #17 you just said 99.5% of people have no reason to weigh their 1500 which is not even close to accurate. That's what I'm taking exception to.

I'm really not trying to split hairs and now that you clarify we generally agree. There are so many overloaded 1500s out there towing that I just can't imagine telling people not to weigh them. Many/most people are shocked at the numbers once they understand them. Salesman and TV commercials are borderline criminal for what they talk people into. Like anything, people need to be educated before throwing down the big $$. That's really my only point.

Well, I still stand by the 99.5%, as around here, I see 1 truck towing anything (and it's usually a 4000 lb or lighter load) for every 50 I see not.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Yeah air rides need more hitch work & other WD as they don't transfer hitch weight to the steer axle as well. If he is not using a WDH he needs one. If he is follow the instructions in his manual. If he is doing both set the bars with some weight still on the jack to get better transfer, hitch head adjustment & proper sized bars all will help. But don't make the bars stupid tight. The truck spare weighs 60 lbs if he transfers it to the TT bumper the scale may take 80 pounds off his drive axle weight. Between these this will fix his warning and make it noticeably more stable & safe in fact it should have him within his axle ratings.

My ED has an unloaded steer of 3235. This summer on a backhaul I had to do a 33' floor plan 3 slide box TT that weighed 9,086. All I had was an Anderson WDH which does great with sway but is not strong with weight transfer. It scaled bad but good enough. The drive axle & 2014 and newer rear & gears are pretty good but personally I don't want to tow more than 10 percent over rating or 4,300 on the drive. (You guys were talking about 43&4400 on the drives). Said TT scaled 3,300 on steer ie over unloaded, 4,260 on drive and 7,500 on TT axles.

I additionally run axle to frame bags which help control support & dampen the ride. I also run a step up load tire. The truck & trailer had no wiggle or sway. It did porpoise a bit but If I had a better hitch ie drive to steer bias it would have removed that. The truck has factory trailer brake controller & turbo brake so speed control & stopping are not issue when coming down the grades and barely but adequate axle weight bias and truck slightly out weighing TT (axle weights) the trailer never pushed the truck around coming down either. Not by any means a setup I would recommend just sharing the results.

EDIT!! I didn't see there was a 2nd & 3rd page to this thread when I posted so.. yeah