5th Wheel question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevei44

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.7 cummins
New to the group and was looking for some advice or at least reassurance. My 2011 2500 HD 4x4 with 5.7 and full tow package has been pulling our 5th wheel a couple of miles from the storage unit to the state park for about 4 years. I have the B&W Companion 20,000# hitch also. Not one problem or even thought about it until I started reading a few the weight capacity threads on here, I would have to guess I'm at close to 12,000# on the trailer. I have no intention of going cross country EVER with it and the farthest I have taken it was about 100 miles to our house and back for a repair. Should I be concerned with moving this a few miles a weekend or go back to sleeping at nights and apply the "if it works don't fix it" mind set.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I hate that whole reading thing, cost me money every time I do it.. That whole payload thing bit me in the hiney with my 1/2 ton, that why I ended up with a new 2500 Ram..

In short my thoughts were that my truck was more than a numbers game, it really didnt handle the weight well.. had plenty of power to pull it though.

I would say as long as your truck handles the weight well, and you aren't just grossly overweight, I personally wouldn't worry about it. Seems you have had 4 good years with it..why change? UNLESS like I said you are just outrageously over.

OP
OP
S

Stevei44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
After reading countless different theories, verified actual stories, and numerous charts I wou
ld love just to know how much I could actually tow with this truck..

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, whats your door sticker say your capacities are? Whats the Payload specifically, then how much weight do you have on the truck with the weight of that 5th wheel pushing down on it, etc.. with a 12K trailer im guessing you are in the 1800 pound range for hitch weight? My 2500 is around 3100 pounds capacity, my tow limits is 12 something though, I dont remember.. I really think you are going to be fine for the short distances you are talking about..
'
The deciding factor for me, was two little girls in the back seat and a few trips planned in the 3-5 hour away range..I needed more truck to feel safe at those distances from home.

OP
OP
S

Stevei44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I agree 100% on the safety aspect! Looking back I wish I would have got the 3500 but I really didn't know at the time the 11 Ram 2500 was rated so much less for towing than the other 2 choices.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well, if it was me, and it was only a few miles, I'd go with it.

It's the 100 mi trip I'd have trouble with. If it not too often, maybe seeing what the dealer would charge for the trip, or they may give you a few contacts you can check with.

Don't know what 5er you have, but my 11k has a "brochure" pin of 1800lb. Actual pin is closer to 2400, and that's unloaded.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is a tough call because you are only moving short distances a few times a year. Two numbers, payload and tow weight come into play. Fivers put a good 20% of their weight on your truck. The tow weight comes into ratings that deal with powertrain cooling, parking brake ability, hill climb etc.

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't fix what isn't broke.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stevei44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
The hitch weight would be my biggest concern, when I drop it on it only hunkers down about 3" and I have a 20,000# B&W Companion hitch. So I guess I'll just leep an eye on wear & tear and not throw money at it to fix something that hasn't broke. Thanks for all the input guys, truly appreciated!