5th wheel tow prep group question (rambox or group)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Im trying to decide how i will be towing my 5er. I am new to them by the way. I know ram wont do a build with the rambox (which i "kind" of want) and the 5er group. I know some guys have towed a 5er with the rambox. What exactly is the tow prep group? I mean what does it look like under the bed. Do they just drill the 5 holes and then the quick connect mounts are bolted to the frame? Is it one big frame attached to the frame? I know they run the wiring to the adapter at the end of the bed where you plug in. Thats nice to have right there (no aftermarket hack jobs). And I know how it works. You buy a hitch and the frame/rails and they clip in to the holes. Im just trying to picture how it looks under the bed. Here are some good pics in this link:

RamGunner.com : The 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Towing Prep Package

I am thinking of going with this type of gooseneck adapter setup if I get the rambox:

Convert-A-Ball Cushioned 5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck Adapter - 12" to 16" Tall - 20,000 lbs Convert-A-Ball Gooseneck and Fifth Wheel Adapters CAB-C5G

Thanks a lot guys!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I just reviewed your links and the tow prep looks like the way to go for me. I don't know what the under side looks like but it must the attached to the frame some how.

The fifth wheel to goose neck also looks cool never seen it before I bet it's nice not having to worry about removeing the hitch if you need to make use of the bed just get a hidden ball that flips.

If it was me I would get the tow group and put a low profile tool box in the bed and call it a day. The wireing is factory done the holes are cut in the bed from the factory it takes any guess work out later.

Unless you can get the gorse neck hitch and wiring with the ram box other wise I would pass.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah I was thinking of just getting a tool box. That ram box is really cool though. Lights, unlocks with fob,etc. Time hooking up the camper is important to me. I don't want to spend10 minutes on it. Avoiding a 5er hitch is awesome . As far as strength and functionality, I'll have to do little more research on the product.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I like the idea of the rambox but the amount of space you lose in the bed kills me. The lights and lock with fob is awesome.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't think u lose a lot. You can still fit 4x8 sheets of plywood. You only lose that little bit on the sides next to wheel wells. I guess if you fill your bed with dirt or something u would miss it. I would mainly use it for the 5er. I would take the prep group before the ram box if I had to choose(and I do).

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If your really into the ram box and lots of guys are, if you could get factory gooseneck wiring and goose neck hitch you would be good to go if that conversion bar is worth a darn.

But I do fill my bed up over the fenders with trash and stuff that needs removal. Its not often that I do but when I use it I make the most of it. I honestly would love a 8ft bed but I can't get past how bad they are to park and how ugly they are.... No offense to anyone with one they are really useful I loved the room a had with my CCLB.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'll probably just go with a tool box like you said. The ram box is kind of pricey anyway. besides idon't know if I'm going to have to go with the hitch or not. I don't think the long boxes look bad. But the short ones do have a more sporty look. The long ones have their pros and cons.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The amount of space you loose is just perspective since your wheel humps are still there. How often do you carry a sheet of plywood? 7 days a week? Once in the last 5 years?

Toolbox is cheaper, but you will be far happier with the Rambox and a 5th wheel when it comes to the ease of getting to your stuff. Seriously.

The way I feel about it now is how I feel about t-tops and sunroofs. Once you have a vehicle with it, all vehicles must have a sunroof then on out. :)

I know some guys say they don't see the use, but I use the shizzle out of mine.

Just my .02 cents whatever that is worth.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The amount of space you loose is just perspective since your wheel humps are still there. How often do you carry a sheet of plywood? 7 days a week? Once in the last 5 years?

Toolbox is cheaper, but you will be far happier with the Rambox and a 5th wheel when it comes to the ease of getting to your stuff. Seriously.

The way I feel about it now is how I feel about t-tops and sunroofs. Once you have a vehicle with it, all vehicles must have a sunroof then on out. :)

It depends on how you use you truck as to wether or not you really lose room. If your like me I fill my with all kinds of stuff. I go from bed side to bed side with fire wood it's nice not to make 2 deep stacks. 2x2's and other 8ft lumber can go all the way across over the wheel wells. I see the appeal of the ram box I do but it's not for me. I can see were if you have a fifth wheel hooked up it would be easier to get stuff in and out of the ram box depending on how often you pull your trailer.

And the long box is all personal preference I like them as a dually but as a SRW they just look overly long.. That being said my next truck will probably be a long bed crew cab or a mega cab....(obviously short bed) Tuff to say I have a few years to think about it.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Problem is finding a hitch/being limited to which hitches you can use with the rambox and a 5er. Thats why ram will not do a build with the rambox and the tow prep group on the same truck. I know guys have done it , but you have to worry about clearance issues with the arms on the hitch, etc. I think all hitches will mount without a problem regarding floor clearance. Its just that space next to the wheel wells like we said.