The 600 lbs question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cliff p

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I guess I'm confused by this now.

My '14 Big Horn CC with TQFlite 8spd:
Curb weight is 5400lbs.
Gross Vehicle Mass from what I've read is 6967lbs (not 6800 as dealer suggests)
That's a payload of 1567lbs. Subtract 1000lbs for passengers, and you've got 567lbs of payload available. If you've got a weight distributing tongue rated for 600lbs, that's only 33lbs over weight, not 600.

Am I crazy?

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I guess I'm confused by this now.

My '14 Big Horn CC with TQFlite 8spd:
Curb weight is 5400lbs.
Gross Vehicle Mass from what I've read is 6967lbs (not 6800 as dealer suggests)
That's a payload of 1567lbs. Subtract 1000lbs for passengers, and you've got 567lbs of payload available. If you've got a weight distributing tongue rated for 600lbs, that's only 33lbs over weight, not 600.

Am I crazy?

You're not crazy. Curb weight on mine is over 6000lbs with me and a tank of gas (I am 240). So, that leaves me little room for the tongue weight given that I still need to load 4 more family members. Of course all luggage etc will be in the camper since I have plenty of room left for the camper CCC and the GCWR of the whole rig together. This is a towing newbie lesson that I already knew- I just used the wrong tools to figure it out :sad72:

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Curb weight includes driver @150lb and a full tank of the appropriate fuel. I'm on my phone so I am not going to cite a source but I had this same discussion on rf and that was the result.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Cliff p

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The curb weight consists of all liquids being topped off. Coolant, fuel, etc. Dry weight of the vehicle would be even less than the curb weight. Your vehicle weight should be 5640lbs with you driving the vehicle with a full tank of gas.

EDIT: Cthulhu beat me to it. :)

EDIT 2:

From Ram website: Curb Weight consists of the weight of a vehicle without any passengers or cargo, but including all necessary fuel, fluids, and standard equipment.

Last edited:

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
Bag it and drive it. If you tow mostly on flat surfaces, there's no worries. Take it easy downhills. I like the idea of tossing the truck's spare tire onto the trailer if that makes you feel better.

But do make sure the truck is level -- otherwise, the rear axle acts as a lever and you're taking weight off the front axle.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand your concern from reading on RVnet.
I'm a member over there also. It's a great place for trailer and RV info. However, my experience over there is that they have a huge number of weight police type people.

I swear there are people on RVnet that don't think you should tow anything other than a popup without a diesel dully.

Ray

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
Man....if he's cutting then so close as to go through the effort of throwing the spare in the trailer, I would just fill up to 3/4 tank of gas then, saves at least 35-40 lbs of gas.....

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Back in the day I used to tow around a 4klb boat with a Slant 6 Dart. I had air shocks and a custom hitch welded onto it. It did fine, except I had to keep pulling the 4 wheel drum brakes apart each trip and sanding the glaze off of the shoes.

You'll be fine.

I used to tow a 21 foot cuddy cabin boat loaded with fishing gear and the bed loaded with camping gear. Never stopped me.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Alrighty gents. Thanks for all the input. I am hanging up my bench-racing gloves now, and I am going to use my truck as a truck. Within reason of course ;)

The decision we made over lunch here is:
For the short weekend jaunts to the river- we're going to run in the truck. We have almost no gear needed except swim suits and hot dogs.
For the longer trips, one or two weeks, we have to take two vehicles anyways because the two teens typically will need to be in for work, or whatever- so we take two vehicles anyways. It's always close to home (couple hundred miles) so it's not a huge deal, and if we decide we want to go on a drive for the day while we are out there, it is MUCH nicer cruising around in the Explorer than the truck anyways for comfort.

All the input is appreciated :happy160:

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am confused on how he is hitting his payload so quickly, and it's only 600 lbs?

Or did I read it wrong....

The "slider" tool on the Ram Trucks website, with 4 passengers, says Payload on mine could be up to 1000 lbs, after passengers.

Or, did I miss that tongue weight is considered payload?

Tongue weight is considered payload by the way. So your tongue weight subtracts from your available payload (door sticker) and should be added to the weight. Consider tongue weight like a passenger. A really big, fat, ass plopped right in the bed of your truck.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
So....If I want to save 500 for payload for 2 kids quads in the bed of the truck, using the slider tool on the Ram Trucks towing website, I need to slide the slider to at least 1000 lbs of payload? 500 for quads, 500 @ for tongue weight?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So....If I want to save 500 for payload for 2 kids quads in the bed of the truck, using the slider tool on the Ram Trucks towing website, I need to slide the slider to at least 1000 lbs of payload? 500 for quads, 500 @ for tongue weight?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

yes, essentially. You need to use the slider to estimate how much additional payload you will be using beyond the passenger selection. Be warned though- this is absolutely where I got burned. Ignore your maximum tow capacity. it's only a guideline- your payload (cargo carrying capacity) of the Ram will dictate how heavy your trailer can be. Historically- I used to use the equation 75% (plus or minus) of max towing was a safe bet given the average payload of a half ton. I also used the formula "wheelbaseinches/5=maximum trailer length in feet". This is an old school shade tree estimating formula, but it's actually pretty accurate. If you look at the attached screensnap when I did these calculations before I ok'd them to get me the Laramie I have- the site SAYS 1260lbs payload. And, truth be told- when I did a VIN lookup (the dealership that we brought the truck in from was nice enough to provide that for me to actually do this research) it listed it as 1280lbs! Then, if you notice, I added 5 passengers at 150lbs each (not accurate, but good enough for me since I use these numbers more for mechanical handling than legality where I am). Now- look at the remaining payload available. 666lbs. Enough for my tongue with change, or so I figured at least, and that is perfectly acceptable. The designed ratings are in place to tell you the truck is designed to run at those ratings all day every day for it's lifetime. Then, afterwards- I did the math. 750lbs passenger weight and 666lbs remaining does not equal 1260lbs. It equals 1416. So that tells me the 155 lbs is already included for the driver. Cool :)

But... when the Laramie arrived, I QUICKLY realized that the slider is completely full of ****! I then looked at a spreadsheet available online. The payload then states 1150lbs. I understood- I lost a bit for the Ram box, but still something I would consider acceptable- a small overage doesn't bug me. I ran my F150 over many, many times at 400lbs or more when I was towing and I never even noticed nor cared. But it was a SOLID truck with a massive frame and an additional leaf in the pack and rotors the size of a small dinner table. Not saying the Ram isn't, but I haven't towed with it yet, nor loaded the crap out of it, so I am just not sure how it will handle compared to the much heavier Ford. But my available payload according to my door sticker is still less than the 1150lbs! WTF?

So, basically- the ONLY way to calculate what payload you have available without actually hitting a scale is this:

Look at your door sticker with the tire load info. It will give you a figure stating what the maximum weight cargo and occupants should not exceed. This is the available payload you have as it left the factory with the options you have including a tank of fuel and all fluids and a 150lbs driver (although I have gotten different answers on that too). This is the number you need. Now, from that number, subtract the weight of your passengers, tongue and anything else you will carry in or on the truck. This is the number you have to work with. As an example:

550lbs passenger load (150lbs driver included just for figures)
700lbs tongue weight
500lbs quad
200lbs misc crap in the bed
------------------------------------
1950lbs payload. Meaning your curb weight of your truck should not be more than 4850lbs or you are technically "over" your tow vehicle (Ram) GVWR.

Is that less than your sticker? If so, awesome! I suspect not though. I for one am running well over my payload rating. This slider is going to haunt me, and pissed me right off since the only option I added was the rambox which accounts for 110lbs. All the other "goodies" are included in the Laramie package. So, as far as I am concerned, I am going to run it because I have no accurate numbers to go on because it seems that ram can't get it's **** together on anything relating to this. I know my scale weight, but with what I have seen, how the hell can I even trust the GVWR since almost every half ton is AT LEAST a 7200lbs GVWR? Awesome truck, horrible documentation and resources for buyers. Really burned me. All I can hope is that Ram designed a truck to be a truck, not a Charger with a box. So far, seems like it- so I am crossing my fingers.

Be advised- depending on where you are, or where you intend to travel, this number can very well be a legal limit that can be enforced. British Columbia comes to mind right away. They actively weight RV'ers and their rigs because of the tourist traffic and mountains, and if you're over weight, expect a hefty fine and having to leave your trailer behind until you can arrange a pickup with a larger tow vehicle- all on your dime of course. Here is Sask, it's not so strict. They pretty much don't even look at us unless they see an obvious infraction like a tacoma with a 5th wheel, and even then- they only care about the GCWR. I am not trying to sound like the "weight police" or scare you, but it's a reality that all of us towing with half tons usually have to face at some point with decently sized travel trailers. We will, often, be over on something. We just have to choose what and by how much, and if we are comfortable with it.

There are other ratings to consider too- and to me, the following are the more important of the ratings. That is Gross Combination Weight Rating and Axle Weight Rating. Both of which I am under. The GCWR is designed to tell you what the truck is designed to withstand on the drive line and braking. So, if you have a GCWR of 15650 like mine, you can be assured that your entire load with trailer can weigh up to that and you will be fine with your drive line and braking ability PROVIDED the trailer has a braking system of its own over a certain weight. You should not expect any overheating or faults (outside of the unexpected) at or under this combined weight. But that is assuming a trailer with almost no tongue weight- think along the lines of a hay wagon or a cotton wagon. Wheels on all for corners so there is no leverage on the hitch.
The axle weight rating takes into account the axles, bearings, wheels, springs, shocks, mounts, tires, and basically anything that would be considered "running gear" and to me, this is one I won't toy with. You never know what the weak link really is. If you are unlucky enough that it is a bearing, wheel or an axle shaft, you could be in for a real nightmare if one fails being overstressed. I have sheared the lugs off a wheel. It's not a fun experience, but I was being an idiot and doing some NASTY dirt racing, so it was my own damn fault, and not a fault of the equipment. I drove commercially for a few years, and these were the most important numbers. Axles and combination.

Good luck in your searches my friend, I am certain you will find the right toy hauler! You have the advantage of knowing what you're working with before buying the trailer. I was dumb enough to do it like I did.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I still say bag it and drive it. I owned a 2009 5.4 f-150 cc and that was a hell of a half ton tower... But that being said I'd throw the same load on your truck. He'll, I just towed a 2007 f-150 (my buddy's) on a trailer back to amco to have the rebuilt tranny rebuilt by them (they screwed up) with my pentastar. It was probably more than what I'm rated for and it was no big deal.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I still say bag it and drive it. I owned a 2009 5.4 f-150 cc and that was a hell of a half ton tower... But that being said I'd throw the same load on your truck. He'll, I just towed a 2007 f-150 (my buddy's) on a trailer back to amco to have the rebuilt tranny rebuilt by them (they screwed up) with my pentastar. It was probably more than what I'm rated for and it was no big deal.

For sure, thats the route we're going for the most part. I'll get a good feel this spring. Her winter home is about 300km away at the farm, so I will know how it feels loaded up after that trip and we'll move forward from there :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I noticed you have the Laramie as do I and they are rated a little less than SLT all things the same so my guess has always been this is due to the Auto 4WD transfer case. I have bags in mine and I have towed many things that I am sure were worse than what you are doing because I don't own a WD hitch. I have towed a Ramcharger with a plow and my grandpa's camper which is around 30ft don't know exactly with a Shocker hitch so all weight was right on the rear not spread out. I just put 30 something psi in the bags and it was fine. I am just trying to comfort you because I know for me I am over those ratings a lot (bought as 3.55) because I regeared (4.56) and although illegal at times I believe it can handle it and actually pretty easy since geared so low. I know there are a lot of factors that go into it but I really think you will be fine as Ram is VERY conservative with towing numbers on 1500 IMO.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't know if it has been said yet, but heavy duty shocks will help you out as well. Those alone will account for the heavier weight.

However, I was a truck driver for a decade, in some places it is completely illegal and some places it is ok to be over GVWR. I would check your local route with your highway patrol. If it is against the law in your area and something happens, you are literally screwed in a bad way.

Axel rating is more relevant, but like I said you can run into issues with GVWR if something goes wrong. If a smart lawyer got involved that could be a problem. Around here anyway highway patrol are really on the ball, a dude pulled me over for hauling a tree 4 feet over the gate, when only 24 inches is allowed. I got out of it, but got a warning none the less. I would bet if your truck "looks" over loaded at all it could be noticed. if your not sagging in the back, maybe nobody will be the wiser. Back to the point having heavy duty shock especially in the back.

Last edited:

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
So, I have to ask those that may have actually been pulled over.....

How would a Cop know what the GCWR is? Do they simply have a book, look it up, etc?

Though - I do not plan on breaking the weight, and I just canceled our camping trip to Canada!!!!

Though, I did crunch my numbers, and I believe this is where I am at.....

6,900 lbs is the GVWR on my sticker on my door, and using this in conjunction with the slider tool at Ram Trucks.....

Curb - 5,350
4 Passengers - 600
2 Quads - 500
Tongue - 500

Total - 6,950, just barely over, but close enough that I can live with that number.

Which leaves me with 6,550 for a trailer with a GVWR.

13,500 - 6,950 = 6,550.

Using the rule above for wheel base/5.

I am now looking for a trailer with a tongue of 500 or less, 28' or less, and 6,500 lbs GVWR or less.