7400 empty / 9700 gvw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Openclasspro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought a 17 express 3:92 equipped quad cab 4x4 this summer rated for gvw max of 10,150, never thought I’d be buying a camper , but a deal of a lifetime came my way on s 32’ er .I planned on adding Air Bags and obviously the best rated weight distribution hitch . I know a 3/4 ton would be best , but I paid cash for my 1500, not up for losing money trading it in . My brother in law has had 5 campers he’s towed with his 1500’s near peak gvw , always took his time , and added the airbags and ran the correct hitch . I’ll pass on the trailer before I trade up to a 2500. Just wanted opinions on those that tow near peak weight , yes I’d swap out to 10 ply tires as well, thank you in advance guys !

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do it, mine is similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
You probably already know this, but without knowing your weights, trailer and truck payload limit, I'd bet you'll be overweight, by a lot if you put anything in the truck or bed besides for you when you go camping.

a 32' rig is like a huge sail behind you and 1500s just dont have the size/mass to control all that weight. i don't think you could get enough tongue weight on it without winding up with next to no payload left. what is your payload limit on your yellow door jamb sticker?

unless your only going on short trips close to home, i don't think you will enjoy the experience. just my. .02, everyone is different. i prefer to have more margin than most. good luck with your decision

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Way too much trailer for that truck. And if you do plan on towing it get yourself a Hensley or ProPride hitch, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, air bags, Bilstein shocks, D or E rated tires and a set of rosary beads for the rearview.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Way too much trailer for that truck. And if you do plan on towing it get yourself a Hensley or ProPride hitch, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, air bags, Bilstein shocks, D or E rated tires and a set of rosary beads for the rearview.

:roflsquared:

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Payload is going to be your issue. Properly distributed that trailer will have about a 1450# hitch weight don’t know what your payload is but my old f150 max tow package truck had about 1700 payload. If I had pulled that trailer it would have left me with 250 pounds for everyone and everything in the truck and bed. I doubt you have that much payload capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Set the WDH up with the trailer loaded by checking your weights going over the scales, don't exceed your GAWR(s) or GCWR

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You are already ahead compared to other Ram 1500s with your Express trim quad cab. The quad cab offers the highest standard payload and the lower trim level also helps your payload. You've got the right gears too.

Just watch your weights and get a very good WD hitch and dial it in correctly.

Thorvald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, see my post about “1500’s being useless”. Check your tire sticker on the door jamb. Then keep that in mind when adjusting weights etc.

I would hope to god you have more than the 1000lbs mine has lol.

Cheers
Tim

Edit: Let us know how the airbags help, been looking at those myself (Timbergrove likely).

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yep, see my post about “1500’s being useless”. Check your tire sticker on the door jamb. Then keep that in mind when adjusting weights etc.

I would hope to god you have more than the 1000lbs mine has lol.

Cheers
Tim

Edit: Let us know how the airbags help, been looking at those myself (Timbergrove likely).

Yup, I learned the hard way too. I had a 2015 Hemi Lone Star/ Big Horn 4x2 CC with a 1490 lb payload that I was not comfortable with towing at max. To be fair, a loaded out GM, Ford, Nissan or Toyota 1/2 ton also suffers from lousy low payload without HD payload packages.

Thorvald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually my friends GMC 1500 Sierra loaded to the gills (Z71, LT tires from factory, air conditioned seats etc) has an 1800 payload (can't recall the exact sticker number). That is 700 lb more than mine! His is a 2016 as I recall. He loves to point out how my axle has 5 bolts for each tire (and P rated tires at that) while his has 6 bolts and LT tires.

Needless to say, when we get together for beers and the "truck talk" starts. I simply keep my mouth shut ... mine's pretty but also "pretty useless".

However I'm blown away by these F150's with the max payload/max tow package. Wish Ram offered such a thing with the the 1500.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That's impressive, it must have a heavy payload package or (high GVWR package). There are loaded diesel 3/4 ton trucks with payloads similar to that. No Ram 1500 has a higher GVWR than 6950 lbs. I know Ford and possibly GM have 7k+ options. Stiffer springs and LT tires would allow for that.

The Dodge Dakota had a 6 bolt hub (along with the Japanese mini trucks) so that really isn't an indicator of capacity, though spy shots of the 2019 Ram show six bolts, so it appears they may be changing the axles in some way.

I don't know much about GM trucks as I pretty much wrote them off when I noticed their frames are still wax dipped over bare steel, nasty exterior styling, numerous highway shaking/vibration reports, and relatively weak 5.3L V8.

IMO, the Ram 1500 is geared to the way most light trucks are used today. Grocery-getter family vehicle with occasion light loads . It is comfortable with best in class ride and arguably best styling.

Despite the HD packages on the other makes 1/2 tons, they are still 1/2 ton frames and will not give near as much confidence towing heavy loads as a HD 3/4 ton+ will.

Thorvald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was floored too. I ‘ll grab a pic of the sticker next time I see him. Make sure I remember it correctly lol.

Your also 100% right about 3/4 ton, his is being built Monday lol. Did a deal to trade in his 1500 in a few months ago. Even with that cargo capacity it was too little truck for his new trailer.

Mines too new so I’d loose $7k to $8k just on trade in for a 2500... So gotta make due for a year or two before getting a “real” truck and not a minivan with a bedliner...

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
. So gotta make due for a year or two before getting a “real” truck and not a minivan with a bedliner...

rofl! my 15' 1500 Silverado crew cab 4x4 z71 had over 1700lbs of payload. that was an aspect about it i was impressed with, and even with that good payload rating, it still rode like a Cadillac. great ride.

I'll also disagree with the comment on the new gm 5.3. it had a lot of juice. pleanty of power, even loaded heavy towing up in the mountains.

when cold it rattled like an erector set from day 1 which I hated, but still, it was a decent truck all in all and good payload for a 1500 series truck

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I put 95k on a 06 Z71 and it was a flat Dog one of the main reasons I did not go back to look at Chevys before I bought my Ram I grew to hate that truck mainly because of the lack of power.
And loading the bed up was just as much of a joke as the Ram was, it might have had higher numbers but you could not tell it, still had to put airbags and 10ply tires on it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I put 95k on a 06 Z71 and it was a flat Dog one of the main reasons I did not go back to look at Chevys before I bought my Ram I grew to hate that truck mainly because of the lack of power.
And loading the bed up was just as much of a joke as the Ram was, it might have had higher numbers but you could not tell it, still had to put airbags and 10ply tires on it.

The new gen 5.3 is a completely different beast than your 06 was. About the only thing shared between the two is displacement. My truck certainly was no dog.