7x14 enclosed vs 6x12 enclosed tool trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just looking for opinions. .I always had a 6x12 da
Enclosed trailer ..but stepped up to a 7x14 tandem. .for work

The 7x14 is about 800 lbs heavier. At about 3500 loaded vs 2700..and has more drag of course. ..

Now I do think I absolutely need the 7x14..although it is handy once In a while with large loads

But..u get into some tight spots getting to jobs where the 6x12 may be helpful

I also tow about 15k miles a year with my 1500 5.7

I got the 7x14 about the same time I got my ram...and didn't really get to compare much

My question is at 15k miles per year should I go back to 6x12 for gas savings and that much less wear on my 1500...or is there that much savings and less wear for the 800 lbs plus more drag
Would it save anything do the pros outway the convince. .of space. .when to much space is a problem some times...haha

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you have it loaded properly if I nice hitch, maybe even a weight distribution one if worried, I don't think the extra weight would add that much more wear and tear.

Would two extra feet at a job site be a deal breaker? I am assuming these sites have big trucks and equipment maybe? So you should be fine.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your load is 3500 lbs that's not much. How much will you lose selling and buying another trailer. Compare that to what "savings" in gas would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess short store long . .what kind mpg change am I looking at 7x14 vs 6x12. 800 pounds..more drag..and of course I stuff more junk in the 7x14..that I could live without so it may be more like 1000 to 1200 lbs different..

I also wonder if trailer brakes have some drag..as a 6x12 won't have brakes
...and I don't use myour brakes on the 7x14 unless I have a load...other then that my bc is set to min and never sends power to brake..although they are still active at the lowest setting of .5 amps I van still hear the hum

OP
OP
S

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually some jobs get pretty tight in the woods of North Michigan ..and pretty hilly where I am....not hugest hills but a lot of them

I do 80 percent residential on of that 75 percent are lived in homes doing flooring I may only be at a job one or 2 days..a week tops that's how I rack up the miles...normally don't get to drop the trailer for weeks on end.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd be surprised if the difference in MPG is more than 1/2. I moved from an 8000# TT to a 10,500# 5th wheel (much more drag) and am hard pressed to notice much difference driving the same routes with my 6.4 Hemi. Maybe .5-1 MPG.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually some jobs get pretty tight in the woods of North Michigan ..and pretty hilly where I am....not hugest hills but a lot of them

I do 80 percent residential on of that 75 percent are lived in homes doing flooring I may only be at a job one or 2 days..a week tops that's how I rack up the miles...normally don't get to drop the trailer for weeks on end.

Where, in NMI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
I guess short store long . .what kind mpg change am I looking at 7x14 vs 6x12. 800 pounds..more drag..and of course I stuff more junk in the 7x14..that I could live without so it may be more like 1000 to 1200 lbs different..

I also wonder if trailer brakes have some drag..as a 6x12 won't have brakes
...and I don't use myour brakes on the 7x14 unless I have a load...other then that my bc is set to min and never sends power to brake..although they are still active at the lowest setting of .5 amps I van still hear the hum

I'd use my trailer brakes more than my truck brakes when possible. Truck brakes are more money and having the trailer slow you down is much safer than your truck slowing down both truck and trailer, especially if the trailer is loaded.

I think the MPG difference is nil to none, a 7 or 6 foot wide trailer creates much less wind resistance, where you will see a big difference in trailer towing is if you move up to a 8+ foot wide trailer and then you will see a lot more resistance.

Are these trailers aluminum or steel, V-nose or not? A couple of other factors that will play a role in towing.

tmletourneau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also would be surprised if you see any significant change in MPG.