8HP70 Transmission Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
LoL! Connections were all made up before the permatex was added. The is no way gasket material can get into the system. I just ran a small dab around the brass connection and hoses (to help create a good seal). There was NONE added before the connection was made! The permatex was allowed to set up 24 hours before transmission fluid was pumped through it. I have done this at least 400 times at work with never an issue.

I have had great luck at work using the Loctite 592 but I just did not feel comfortable putting anything on the threads except high heat Teflon tape. All of the permatex was applied on the outside of the fittings and was allowed 24 hours to cure before any transmission fluid was pumped through the system.

Attachments

• IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
For those who are curious or concerned this is the permatex that I used on The outside of all the fittings.

AMF: I do deadly apologize for totally high jacking your thread!!!

I still need too figure out where the temperature sensor is located at that is reading the temp that is displayed on the dash readout. It dam sure is not located on the return line. My temps are now 175-180*F according to my thermal gun. But that is not the temp that is being displayed on my dash.

Good read for those curious!

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-how-to/trailer-tech/tranny-filter-tech/

Attachments

• IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The Loctite 592 would have handled any temperatures your transmission would produce even under extreme conditions.
You have to be careful how you put thread tape on as it can come off on the inside of the fittings.
As nice of job that you may have done, using the split loom protecting the tubing is a really nice touch. Adding the RTV is not needed or even a proper sealant for the type of fittings used there when properly mated.

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
LoL! Thanks crash for your input. I've been doing this type of work for many many years with never an issue! So I'm not worried!!!! But Thanks for your 2cents.

I will ask this in your professional opinion is this a better place for a hydraulic oil filter or a regular oil filter?

Taking the Ram for a 23 mile interstate drive @ 65-85 mph and no leaks! So no second redoing is needed. Good Work pays off!

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I will ask this in your professional opinion is this a better place for a hydraulic oil filter or a regular oil filter?
If it is the correct type of filter for the fluid and conditions it's filtering(fluid pressure/velocity) and the holder is mounted in such a way it is out of harm's way, doesn't trap air, and is serviceable location then it's a good install.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
ROFL! Outstanding! Thanks for answering my question.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really wish Shawn had made a video on how he bypassed the heat exchanger. I would imagine its more complicated than physically bypassing the unit as I'm sure it would throw a check engine light...

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This is a question asked within e-trailer. This is the filter base I have but instead of the Derale 13092 filter ---->Mine came with a Luber-Finer PH253. Which some what makes sense now (Luber Finer I feel makes the Derale filter).

Micron Rating of Derale Filter 13092 and Fluid Control Thermostat Kit for Transmission Cooler

Question:
I want to buy this mount and filter assembly, can you tell me micron rating for this filter? I am also interested in the part that you carry to hold back the oil till it reaches a certain temperature like 180. if Im putting us in line going to the cool wefoot by the radiator how does it how does that work. Im bypassing my radiator all together, just concerned about my oil circulating properly and told her about the temperature. was considering one of these for my transmission and motor, any answers your information you can send my way I appreciate it thank you.
asked by: Pat M

Expert Reply:
I spoke with my contact at Derale and on the Replacement Filter # D13092 it has a micron rating of 21. He stated that you do not want to go more fine than that because it can strip out the abrasives in the transmission fluid that are needed for proper operation of the transmission.

This reply from Derale just might have answered my question! I have never heard this before. But I have never asked the question. (Imagine That)! Any (ACTUAL)Truth too the Answer? Not opinions--->ACTUAL Truthful Facts!
For now & the time being --->Oil Filter it is! Wix 51516XP

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I really wish Shawn had made a video on how he bypassed the heat exchanger. I would imagine its more complicated than physically bypassing the unit as I'm sure it would throw a check engine light...

I agree! I know Rod made the statement his fluid never gets close to 190*F with the stock HD cooler. Mine was 190*F today! I know my fluid after my new cooler was running between 176-180*F via a thermal lazer gun today.

I am curious if there is 203*F coolant going through the exchanger 24/7?
Heating the ATF 24/7 as well.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am curious if there is 203*F coolant going through the exchanger 24/7?
Heating the ATF 24/7 as well.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe this is the valve that either sends hot coolant to the trans heat exchanger or shuts off the flow. So I believe the answer to your question is no, coolant only flows through the heat exchanger to keep the trans fluid at approximately 195*. It's also why I don't believe its as simple as bypassing the coolant hoses to the heat exchanger. Damn I wish Shawn made a video of that...

Here's a video illustrating what I believe is that valve.
https://youtu.be/hPOexwXn-F0

I CAN tell you whatever this valve is has something to do with the 8 speed as it is absent on my truck which has the 65RFE...

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I am starting to think----->Friggin Scary I Know!

The easiest way but $$$$$! Buy a tuner with a custom tune to adjust for a 170-180*F thermostat. I have read were this will drop the coolant temp.

Dill posted this:
with my 180 stat and tune

Oil 188 F
Coolant 178 F

If that is the temp of the coolant. The trans fluid can't be super heated by it. Just my thoughts!
I need to get my coolant temp down to at least what Dills is. That will drastically effect my trans fluid temp.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do they make tuners for the 8 speed yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Do they make tuners for the 8 speed yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I e-mailed Moes. I was told---->The only way a 170-180*F would be effective is to use a programmer or tuner to control the A/C fan with my 2014 Ram. I deleted the dam e-mail due to I just don't have that amount of $$$ sitting around. I do but it's set back for the kids college.

Hemi: it does not look like there is a program for the 8HP70. It might take them a few years (it is a pretty remarkable piece).

If I can for now just get the tuner to drop my coolant temp & then if the trans update ever comes out then just update. I would be content with that.

Will have to wait till income tax return. Then buy the cheaper Diablo.

Hemi: Anything you can add to this conversation would be appreciated. The more heads the better! I know Shawn figured it out with no issues. We can do it as well.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I get the faster warm-up to help with wear in the transmission. I don't understand why at 140*F they don't make it go into by-pass and disable the exchanger so the fluid can do its job at normal temps 165-175*F.

I don't know who convinced these gents that 192-210*F was normal for ANY trans fluid. It's not!!! Like I have said many times---->These dealers & engineers just care about getting their products through the warranty period. After that it is not their problem.

I feel my best option since I added this large trans cooler which did not help with my temps due to this dam exchanger is constantly heating the fluid. Is if there is now a programmer for the 2014---->add one to drop my coolant temp down to 170-180*F which will in-turn will only let the exchanger heat the fluid to this temp. Makes Sense to me!

This might be my only option along with a new low temp thermostat.

http://www.moes-performance.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=I2010

Last edited:
OP
OP
AFMoulton

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree, SyN, since I removed all but the top and bottom of those active grille shutters, my Trans Temps have stayed below 175*. Not sure if it's the shutters or what, but I'm bound to fight this high temp issue. I think I'll add another larger electric pusher fan to the condenser and Trans cooler, with a switch. Then bypass that heat exchanger, or remove it all together. I'm sure we could find plugs for the side where it mounts

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I feel if I can just get my coolant temp down too 175-185*F which will be the temp that is heating my trans fluid. I will be very happy with those temps. Red Line D6 can handle those temps with a smile! OR just some how totally by-passing the heat exchanger with no leaks or worries of leaks or failure of any type.

Also: Like some have brought up----->We don't know how far off these factory digital readings are. My trans temps could be much higher or lower. My next day off I will take her for a 15 mile drive then come back home and shoot the lines with my lazer thermal gun (to compare temp readings). Though I have know clue where the digital temp is reading from.

Edit: I did notice --->I followed the coolant lines up to the block there is a large section of rubber hose I wonder if a fella could install a block valve within that rubber hose section to totally stop the flow of coolant going to the transmission heat exchanger?

This is something I need to look at a little longer maybe this will be a pretty easy fix if this will work.

OK here are the two lines that I'm talking about. They both run right down the The passenger side valve cover. One is the inlet line one is the return line I don't know which one is which.

Attachments

• IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
OP
OP
AFMoulton

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Guess it's time to save up for a T-Stat and a tuner!, ugh this build list is huge

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This is really not a good picture but it's Kinda explains where both lines come from and go to. This picture is taken right below my catch can.

I have no idea what this black valve device is that one of the lines tied into.

The two hoses that have the little green or aqua marks on them are the two lines in question.

Attachments

• IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
AFMoulton

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That Black piece is a 3 way valve that Hemi posted a video to earlier. It is what determines where the coolant goes, either the cab for heater core or the Trans heat exchanger