A1Auto tow mirror question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just bought my first TT this week, and will be taking delivery on Friday.

I REALLY want to just upgrade my standard mirrors to tow mirrors vs buying the **** slip-ons.

I know you have to get the code flashed for the mirrors to operate in the correct "orientation" if flipped up.

Since the 2014's did not come with power fold tow mirrors, can the dealer flash the code without me losing my power fold code? Is that something they just add to the truck, or do they have to replace whatever code is there?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
tow mirrors don't fold in.....so you won't have that feature on the new ones you get even if your old ones did

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put a set of tow mirrors on my truck, not factory ones, and they do move in the proper orientation regardless of whether they are up or down. I didn't have anything flashed on my truck, so I don't know if it is required for the mirrors to work correctly.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I put a set of tow mirrors on my truck, not factory ones, and they do move in the proper orientation regardless of whether they are up or down. I didn't have anything flashed on my truck, so I don't know if it is required for the mirrors to work correctly.

The newer trucks have a different bcm I believe making it necesearry to have 2 sales codes flashed 1 for the puddle and 1 for the flip up orintation (if op's truck already has puddle he probably won't have to get that flashed) The newer one do come with power fold like the 15-16 I'm not sure if you replace the ones in your truck with power fold from a 16 If they will work or not that would be awesome to report back on and let us know what you find or if you try it.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
so do you have power fold mirrors or nah? I'm a little confused

either way they should just be able to flash in the right sales code

OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'll have to wait until A1 gets them in stock (at least with some regularity). I know they pulled them due to issues with the motors, but they're back on the site now, just out of stock.

But yes, for people that may not know - they do make power fold mirrors for 2015+ Ram 2500/3500 now. I just wasn't sure since my choice was power fold OR tow, if I could flash both codes. Unfortunately, I probably won't get to test this until next season. Just going to pick up a $50 pair of Fit System mirrors for now. I chose Fit System instead of **** because the FS mirrors have a cutout on the bottom for your puddle light/turn signal, where the **** just cover everything.

OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I currently have the power fold standard mirrors. Problem I run into, is I won't fit in my garage with tow mirrors - and I'm definitely not folding my mirrors in/out everytime I leave the house.

The main issue I'm curious about, is in 2014 - you have the option for power fold OR tow. Wondering if I can just have them add the tow code, so they adjust in the proper orientation (without overwriting the code that says to power fold)

When I bought the truck, it had tows on it, and I got the dealer to put the standard power folds on for me. Its funny, because I don't need the normal mirrors to power fold (thus, never fold them in), but I do need the tows to power fold.

Either way, I think I will have to wait until spring to test this. If they can't flash the tow mirror code, no harm. I can use the memory function to switch between regular and tow (and just ignore the fact that the orientation is off by 90 degrees when towing since they will be adjusted to driver 2 memory for the proper positioning)

OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If they can't flash the tow mirror code, no harm. I can use the memory function to switch between regular and tow (and just ignore the fact that the orientation is off by 90 degrees when towing, since they will be adjusted to driver 2 memory for the proper positioning)

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
The function regardless of the style of mirror should be the same. The pod that the mirrors plug into under the door skin is a standard pod used in almost all of the ram trucks so it should work.

I cannot promise that but if you had it before, installed a set capable of it, then it should work...

OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm just not sure if the 'flip up' button orientation will work correctly, or if the controls will be off by 90 degress. That's my main question. I believe that is all the tow mirror code does for the truck. (although, the orientation control may be integrated into the mirror itself? That's where I'm unsure).

BUT... on that note - I received an email that A1 had the mirrors in stock finally. Clicked on the link, and saw they only had 1 pair available. I couldn't throw my money at them fast enough! Paid for 2 day shipping since I'm getting the trailer on Friday, didn't want to take the chance of not having them. $50 isn't much if it allows me a couple of days to get them installed, without pacing back and forth waiting by the door for a week.

I will post back a definitive answer to whether the mirrors work with the proper orientation when flipped up before the end of the week. If I have to get any codes flashed, that might take me a bit longer to get to the dealer to find out.

OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well that was fast! - I received an email that A1 had the mirrors in stock finally. Clicked on the link, and saw they only had 1 pair available. I couldn't throw my money at them fast enough! Paid for 2 day shipping since I'm getting the trailer on Friday, didn't want to take the chance of not having them. $50 isn't much if it allows me a couple of days to get them installed, without pacing back and forth waiting by the door for a week on free shipping.

I will post back a definitive answer to whether the mirrors work with the proper orientation when flipped up before the end of the week. If I have to get any codes flashed, that might take me a bit longer to get to the dealer to find out.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had Sport mirrors on my 2014 2500 HD and I have the power fold option. The dealer swapped out the Sport mirrors for the Tow mirrors and the power fold option works.

I have no idea what sales code needs to be flashed but it was explained to me the flash was required for warranty work. The code designates heated power fold tow mirrors with puddle lights were installed on the truck. I don't believe it was needed to make them work as the system already was set up to fold the mirrors.

OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had Sport mirrors on my 2014 2500 HD and I have the power fold option. The dealer swapped out the Sport mirrors for the Tow mirrors and the power fold option works.

I have no idea what sales code needs to be flashed but it was explained to me the flash was required for warranty work. The code designates heated power fold tow mirrors with puddle lights were installed on the truck. I don't believe it was needed to make them work as the system already was set up to fold the mirrors.

When you rotate your mirrors up for towing, do your door buttons work correctly? I'm expecting power fold to work, I'm not sure how the mirror adjustment buttons work on these yet. When the mirrors are flipped up, do you hit the up button to adjust up, or do you end up having to hit the left arrow to adjust up (compensating for the 90 degree rotation in the mirror).

I guess I'll still have to figure out about the code flash, since if yours was flashed, it happened behind the scene.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
The directional functions will be off 90* as you said unless you have the tow mirror sales code flashed to the truck.

I was able to find all the sales codes when i had mine installed just searching google. I printed the codes off and gave them to my tech flashing the codes. I think he just guessed and flashed a gob of them into it but got it to work!

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The directional functions will be off 90* as you said unless you have the tow mirror sales code flashed to the truck.

I was able to find all the sales codes when i had mine installed just searching google. I printed the codes off and gave them to my tech flashing the codes. I think he just guessed and flashed a gob of them into it but got it to work!

Not so sure about that. I put flip up tow mirrors off a 2001 truck on my 97, and they worked just fine with no flashing at all.

And this was no plug & play swap. I had to take both mirror sets apart to swap the pieces I needed to mount them up.

May need to flash it for the tilt in reverse to work tho

And good luck with A1Auto....my experience has not been good with them if you run into any problems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not so sure about that. I put flip up tow mirrors off a 2001 truck on my 97, and they worked just fine with no flashing at all.

And this was no plug & play swap. I had to take both mirror sets apart to swap the pieces I needed to mount them up.

May need to flash it for the tilt in reverse to work tho

And good luck with A1Auto....my experience has not been good with them if you run into any problems.

I'll post up tomorrow with results, but I actually think the tilt to reverse will work. I think I read somewhere that it's a function of the memory - which both mirror have. The only real option that I'm adding is the flip up (and losing auto-dim). If I can add the Tow code to my existing set of codes (without losing the power fold code that technically doesn't exist for tows in 2014) - I will be a happy camper. Otherwise it will just be one of those quirks I just get used to and live with (the mirror adjustments being off by 90 degrees)