Added a Hitch, this should be standard equipment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneShot201

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Express - Mineral Gray
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why it didn't just have one on it, I don't understand.
The damn thing has the wiring harnesses stock, should have a proper hitch too.

Hitch.jpg

Hitch2.jpg

Easiest install ever, literally took 15 minutes.
$75 ish plus shipping on Amazon (had a gift card).
This one is a Curt brand, Class III, 600 lb. tongue weight, 6000 lb. tow weight.

OP
OP
OneShot201

OneShot201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice. Yeah I agree, it's dumb for a truck not to come with a tow hitch standard. I'm currently trying to fab one up with my friend for my rollpan.

Oh yeah, that would be tough to manage I'm sure. Love the rollpan though, looks awesome. Gonna punch through it or go under? Good luck man, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

mikelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's just one of the ways they keep the price down so low on an Express....

OP
OP
OneShot201

OneShot201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's just one of the ways they keep the price down so low on an Express....

Yeah you're right of course, I should've figured that out on my own haha.

When I first picked it up, I was shaking my head, wtf? no hitch? but yeah, probably cheaper for me to add it after regardless I'd guess.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 1500 Big Horn that didn't come with a hitch which bewildered me as I agree that they should be standard. Glad it came standard with the HD.

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thats crazy a truck with out a hitch lol

My express had one guess it came with the tow package never got to use it though :/

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Oh yeah, that would be tough to manage I'm sure. Love the rollpan though, looks awesome. Gonna punch through it or go under? Good luck man, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

No, behind the license plate is a square hole for the hitch. So after we weld up the hitch and some supporting braces, I'll get a flip up license plate and be all good to go.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9

My express had one guess it came with the tow package never got to use it though :/

I'm thinking that's part of the reason a lot of trucks don't come with the receiver pre-installed. A lot of people use the trucks as family haulers, not trailer tuggers, so, if they can save a little on each truck, and not affect the ratings, its almost a sure bet. My '07 1500 ST didn't have a receiver on it, I had to add it after I bought the truck.. no biggy.. you just need a couple of tools, 15 minutes, and the ability to read instructions and its pretty simple.

Last edited:

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm thinking that's part of the reason a lot of trucks don't come with the receiver pre-installed. A lot of people use the trucks as family haulers, not trailer tuggers, so, if they can save a little on each truck, and not affect the ratings, its almost a sure bet. My '07 1500 ST didn't have a receiver on it, I had to add it after I bought the truck.. no biggy.. you just need a couple of tools, 15 minutes, and the ability to read instructions and its pretty simple.

Yea i agree with you especially since moat people only haul what fits in the bed but i never used the one on the express cuz i got into a crash before i got a chance lol but ive used this one

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice looking install!
Every SLT/Sport we looked at up here had a hitch, but them again every 2nd vehicle on the road is pulling a monster trailer, so it makes sense in this region.

ivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yeah my 2012 came with it. Glad it did too cauae it came in handy really fast.

:) nice one you put on thereOneshot201.

2serious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 12 sport didn't come with a hitch either. I said what that's a joke right you guys gonna put one on. They wanted I think 270 iirc so I passed and bought a curt class 5 for it off rockauto.com stronger hitch than stock and I'll ever need.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You bought the cute little one...

I got the Curt Class IV. Truck's rated at 9500#, didn't want the hitch being my limiting point. Hitch is rated to 10500#.

I'm sure install was a WHOLE lot easier than mine though!

Dale_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 2-door Express and it came with the factory brake controller but no receiver hitch. Of course there is a 5000 rating for the bumper itself and it has the mounting point for a 1" shank ball. So there is towing capability standard - just not a receiver hitch. I hardly ever tow and the standard bumper might work for me. It will be a little too high though.

jasf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm so tired of giving up CURT hitches! The fact that this truck had a hitch & trailer tow made the sale. '06 Explorer,'07 F150,'10 Silverado. Put hitches on all of them just to watch the dealer steal them on the trade.