Adding Air Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Bought this truck to use for towing (upgraded from a 1500 for this reason, but have nothing to tow as of yet) and have a couple questions.

Is it worth having the OEM air? Not sure if this is something that can be added easily or not. Don't know the differences of having an OEM system vs aftermarket besides cost.

I like the idea of being able to lower the rear for loading, unhooking, etc - is this something that's pretty common? Or is that one of the benefits of having it integrated with the truck via OEM?

The rear sits up so dang high, and I'm not getting any younger. I'm either going to need the rear to drop down some, or I'll have to look into a step of some sort. But since I'll be towing a 5th wheel, having the truck level is probably my best long term solution.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
An aftermarket systems can raise and lower the rear of the truck but it won't be integrated like the OEM. Both aftermarket and the OEM will cost a bunch of $$ to be installed after the fact.
Most of the time people will add airbags to the rear just to level out the truck with a big load but it won't lower the truck below the ride height now. This way is safer as if something happens to your air system, your not stuck on the side of the road.
Have you looked into an Amp Bed Step?
http://www.amp-research.com

OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have not, but will check that out now. I've only really looked at the "hitch steps" - but that doesn't do me much good either since I'd have to lift my legs to waist high to step on it!

Good call on the suspension vs air bags setup. I believe I'm more interested in the air bags (just using the wrong terminology) - but I was not aware that you couldn't lower it at all, just leveling. Makes sense though. I guess bags and a step it is!

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you can lower it, 2", hes talking about the cheap aftermarket manual fill bags, which allow you to only raise the back when hauling, which is actually pretty useful.