Advice Needed: towing a car from CA to TX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
The family and I are relocating to Austin, TX early this summer. We have 2 cars needing towing, and my truck has to pull one of those. Bought this truck used back in October. It has 102K miles. I will be using the UHaul auto transporter (entire car rests on it). My wife will likely drive my truck towing one, while I drive the moving truck, towing the other car.

I don't have tow mirrors, but will upgrade to those before the trip. I held on to my stock 265/70/17 tires and wheels just for this trip so I don't put the wear on my new Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55/20. The vehicle I am towing weighs 2900 lbs max, a Kia Forte coupe.

If you were making this trip, what would you do to prepare the truck for best results in performance, safety?

Thanks!

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make sure tire pressures are good on truck and the trailer. Make sure to strap the car down good on the trailer. If you have the means. Load the car on the trailer and check your tongue weight. You may have to adjust the car forward or back on the trailer to get it where it should be. Make sure safety chains are crossed and connected good to trailer and truck. Last but not least no speeding and keep safe following distance.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I hauled a Uhaul trailer with a car on it a few hundred miles a couple years ago. Overall, Uhaul has their system down pretty tight. The brake is an inertia type so it just kicks in when you start to slow down. It would drive me nuts not having control but for people who don't tow a lot it's nice to not have to worry about a separate braking system.

Uhaul was very specific about exactly what vehicle would be on the trailer and they checked the weights on my hitch super close. You may be fine without tow mirrors since the car/trailer is really not all that tall and boxy.

Of course, check all the tires and stuff. Hooking the car to the trailer was a breeze. If I remember right there are chains that wrap the front wheels and then chain/hooks that hold down the rear axle.

For me personally, I'd fly back and drive the second vehicle but if your wife is up for it she should be fine. It's worth mentioning that my wife is Asian and not exactly the best driver in the world (sorry but the cliché is true :)) I constantly find dents and ripped off molding on the minivan :) I don't think she'd even know how to drive my truck :) :)

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You can't really move the car on the trailer very much.

I'd suggest getting some airlift support bags if you don't have them already.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can't really move the car on the trailer very much.

I'd suggest getting some airlift support bags if you don't have them already.

First of all how do you know the car can't be moved much on the trailer. I never saw what kind of car he is towing. And if he gets air bags and from the weight it didn't sound like he has to get them. I hope he buys them new and doesn't get a incomplete supposedly good as new set online. LMAO

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
First of all how do you know the car can't be moved much on the trailer. I never saw what kind of car he is towing. And if he gets air bags and from the weight it didn't sound like he has to get them. I hope he buys them new and doesn't get a incomplete supposedly good as new set online. LMAO

generally speaking the uhaul car trailers are on the short side as far as car trailers go. usually not much room to play with on them, but you are correct it does depend on what he is towing. air bags are a good suggestion (though not a necessity). the truck is going to be dragging its ass in the back without them.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
generally speaking the uhaul car trailers are on the short side as far as car trailers go. usually not much room to play with on them, but you are correct it does depend on what he is towing. air bags are a good suggestion (though not a necessity). the truck is going to be dragging its ass in the back without them.

Kia Forte -- small coupe, 2900 lbs. thanks guys!

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mostly because there's a designated area for the front wheels to sit.

Unless you use your own tie downs and not the wheel wrap ones on the trailer, you can't move the car more than a couple inches.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is with airlift bags at 38psi. Car is 2,900lb. Had probably 400lb in the bed of the truck.

a2d58d16866f0e9e68767672bec98b9b.jpg
dd95f592b11b68ddcba67b4245e24d55.jpg

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Two more comments, be sure U-Haul will let you tow with your truck if it's a 1500. I had to borrow my son's HD2500 to go get the Avanti.

Secondly, note the strap from the passengers side of the rear axle to the drivers side of the trailer. On long tows the cars with lighter rear ends like to walk down the road grade as they bounce on the trailer.

As far as towing the trailer, piece of cake.

018.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
You will have no issues I can tell you from experience you won't need the tow mirrors. The car isn't as wide as your truck and the trailer is low enough you can see over it. Just be careful if you plan on loading the bed of the truck up with stuff to move the uhaul trailers are pretty short causes them to be tongue heavy with a empty or light bed I see no issues.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Thanks gang for all the advice and pics. Just perfect.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Has your wife had some trailer towing experience? If not, I'd try to work in a couple of test tows before your move. This will reduce her stress level and make things much easier. Being tense causes fatigue.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Has your wife had some trailer towing experience? If not, I'd try to work in a couple of test tows before your move. This will reduce her stress level and make things much easier. Being tense causes fatigue.
Agreed. Experience with how the truck will handle with a load is a must before going unsupervised on a long road trip.

Make sure she does some emergency braking as well. Most people don't realize how long it will take then to stop with a big load.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Agreed. Experience with how the truck will handle with a load is a must before going unsupervised on a long road trip.

Make sure she does some emergency braking as well. Most people don't realize how long it will take then to stop with a big load.

Excellent advice. Thanks!:)

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've towed cars for several years, mostly with designated tow trucks. The best advise is make sure the driver can handle the truck with the car on the trailer. Driving habits need to change. Greater stopping distance and turning is needed. I'm not sure about the uhaul trailers so I'm not sure about empty tongue weight but usually the back end off the car is lighter than the front so maybe put the car on backwards to ease the weight on the tongue. Strap it down to all four corners and when you stop for breaks or gas double check those tie downs and visually inspect car, truck and trailer for anything obvious.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've towed cars for several years, mostly with designated tow trucks. The best advise is make sure the driver can handle the truck with the car on the trailer. Driving habits need to change. Greater stopping distance and turning is needed. I'm not sure about the uhaul trailers so I'm not sure about empty tongue weight but usually the back end off the car is lighter than the front so maybe put the car on backwards to ease the weight on the tongue. Strap it down to all four corners and when you stop for breaks or gas double check those tie downs and visually inspect car, truck and trailer for anything obvious.

dont load the car backwards. you want the bulk of the weight in front of the axle not behind it in order to prevent sway. the trailer being more tongue heavy will tow nicer and the car facing forward will give less wind resistance.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make sure you have a "pop bottle " jack and a small piece of 2x4 or 2x6 to put it on. Check to see if your lug wrench will fit the lug nuts on the trailer. If you have a laser thermometer, shoot your trailer hubs every time you stop for gas. If your coming on I-10 there is a lot of distance between stops in case you need assistance(and the country side is really pretty too---LOL). Try not to go through El Paso during rush hour--it's a nightmare!!!!
Jay

Buss111

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7L
Hey all, I am moving my family back to Long Island while I have to go to Korea for a year. What that means is I will have to tow her younger sister's crown vic back with us. I wanted to use a dolly, then realized it is not ideal with RWD vehicles. I have to rent an auto trailer and drive about 2300 miles from Tucson, AZ to LI, NY. I plan on loading the bed with about 400 lbs. I am ordering a set of air lift 1000s this weekend to lessen the sag. I've read this thread and based on my package (curb wt is 4k lbs). Oh the move is in about a month and I hope Uhaul allows me to tow with mah truck or the we all drive solo!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hey all, I am moving my family back to Long Island while I have to go to Korea for a year. What that means is I will have to tow her younger sister's crown vic back with us. I wanted to use a dolly, then realized it is not ideal with RWD vehicles. I have to rent an auto trailer and drive about 2300 miles from Tucson, AZ to LI, NY. I plan on loading the bed with about 400 lbs. I am ordering a set of air lift 1000s this weekend to lessen the sag. I've read this thread and based on my package (curb wt is 4k lbs). Oh the move is in about a month and I hope Uhaul allows me to tow with mah truck or the we all drive solo!

If you start your own thread your post would gain more traffic but If you want to use a dolly just pull the driveshaft and plug the trans.