Air deflector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Wondering if anyone is running an air deflector on their truck. I am concidering mounting one to the top of my camper shell to help deflect some of the air hitting the front of my enclosed trailer. Looking for ways to improve fuel economy while towing.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Wondering if anyone is running an air deflector on their truck. I am concidering mounting one to the top of my camper shell to help deflect some of the air hitting the front of my enclosed trailer. Looking for ways to improve fuel economy while towing.

If you don't tow a couple hundred thousand miles with the deflector on, you will never recoup the cost of it. The best way to improve your towing mileage is to make sure your tires are inflated properly, and slow down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I think I would consider a bubble on the trailer before a deflector on your cover. Maybe do some research and check the benifits either way. I see more domes or bubbles on front of the trailers than I do with defectors on trucks and I assume tberes a good reason. Is the trailer a bumper or goose neck?

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It's a 24 ft bumper pull trailer. I was thinking about a deflector that folds flat when not in use and the opens up when I'm towing. I found one on Amazon that uses suction cups and straps. Pretty good reviews from the box trailer guys

Attachments

• IMG_4528.jpg
    IMG_4528.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 61

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree with NewBlackDak - these MPG enhancements are for folks that put hundreds of thousands of miles on. You'll never come close to recouping the money spent. Ironically, it would probably take more than a year just to cover the $20 shipping you pay to have the thing delivered. Slowing down 3mph from 65 to 62 would result in far more savings and you'd likely lose far less time doing that than you've spent on this thread :):)

Products like this remind of education and training for systems to flip houses or buy stocks or invest in whatever. The only ones making any money are the people selling the product.

The only caveat I can give is if you do actually tow 50,000 miles per year, maybe......... maybe something like this would pay off.

If it were such a slam dunk and so easy to save a bunch of money wouldn't every one have one? Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen a wind deflector on anything other than a big rig.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Agreed. Unless your towing a lot, it'll take years to get that $300 back. Just my opinion.

hemi8lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I used to have one on a F250 Crew Cab that I pulled my 32ft Prowler TT with. I put it on for the handling aspects, not for fuel savings. It made an improvement on the handling even on the truck alone when folded down. I quit using it after I met an 18 wheeler on a 2 lane road and it sucked it off my truck and threw it in front of a car in the other lane. No injuries, but I never used one again.

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I am planning on starting my own hotshot shipping business when I retire. I'm looking for different ways to keep fuel cost down because I will be driving a lot. How do the V nose trailers compair to the normal box trailers?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye