Air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just purchased a 3500 and it does not have the air bag suspension on it. I have yet to tow but will most likely want that option installed. The problem is that the dealership that the truck was purchased says that they will not install but sell me the parts. Is there something that I am missing? I would think that they could and would install this. I am thinking that I made a mistake in buying this at that dealership and also the wrong truck as well is this is how things will progress.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah, that's kind of sketchy. I know my dealer would get the parts and install them for me if asked.

Weezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That dealership is suspect.....not cool

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will be very costly to install the factory air suspension on a truck that doesn't have it. There are quite a few aftermarket options. That is probably your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Shady on the Stealership but at least they owned up to not knowing jack **** about the install. I'm with JWheeler; there are far too many easily installed aftermarket options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

biggdadd58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What are the aftermarket options if I might ask?

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with the others, that sounds very strange from the dealer, and for the price you'll pay and work involved, I think you would be much better off installing aftermarket air bags instead. I can't give you any personal experience but I've heard lots of good about these: https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/88295/

irishguy0224

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't have air on my Ram, but i do have an Airlift kit on my roadster and it is wonderful. I have done 5+ FULL air ride installs on my own, it is pretty straight forward if you are mechanically inclined.

freedhardwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/88295/

http://riderite.com/vehicle-search?year=2015&model=Ram

The above are helper/leveling air suspension kits that are added to the existing spring suspension to increase capacity. They do not improve the ride when empty.

Below are true air suspensions that replace your spring suspension and give you a much better ride when empty.

I like the Autoflex. No cutting, welding, or adapting.

Auto Flex - Air Ride Suspension System | AutoFlex Air Ride Suspension Systems

2013+ Ram 3500 4x4 4-Link Rear Air Suspension | Kelderman

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/88295/

http://riderite.com/vehicle-search?year=2015&model=Ram

The above are helper/leveling air suspension kits that are added to the existing spring suspension to increase capacity. They do not improve the ride when empty.

Below are true air suspensions that replace your spring suspension and give you a much better ride when empty.

I like the Autoflex. No cutting, welding, or adapting.

Auto Flex - Air Ride Suspension System | AutoFlex Air Ride Suspension Systems

2013+ Ram 3500 4x4 4-Link Rear Air Suspension | Kelderman

Great info and clarification. I've done the helper bag route on an old truck and its was great for what it did. Prevented sagging at the rear end but of course did noting for the ride.

I like the looks of the replacement systems but 3-4K for the parts sure seems steep.

freedhardwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
This thread prompted me to explore the Kelderman website a little more.

Apparently they do have a cheaper "compromise" system that uses your existing springs as the trailing arm component of a true air ride system. It does involve some cutting, but uses existing holes for bolting everything in.

This kit does not include a leveling valve, compressor, air tank, etc that the more expensive kits have.

https://kelderman.com/ram2500/3500/2stage/rear/air/suspension

I can't afford the Autoflex now, but my back would really like some relief.

Air Lift Company

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram
Engine
6.1 Hemi
Let me know if you have any questions on adding an Air Lift system to your truck. Install is pretty easy and straight forward if you wanted to do it yourself.

freedhardwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Let me know if you have any questions on adding an Air Lift system to your truck. Install is pretty easy and straight forward if you wanted to do it yourself.

Do you know of any instances where someone installed a Load Lifter 5000 and removed one or more leaves from the spring pack to improve the ride when empty?

I am very hesitant to do that on a new pickup. I removed 4 leaves from a 9 leaf pack on an older pickup years ago to help the ride. Even after adding overload springs, the load capacity was drastically reduced. It did ride a lot better though.

Air Lift Company

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram
Engine
6.1 Hemi
Do you know of any instances where someone installed a Load Lifter 5000 and removed one or more leaves from the spring pack to improve the ride when empty?

I am very hesitant to do that on a new pickup. I removed 4 leaves from a 9 leaf pack on an older pickup years ago to help the ride. Even after adding overload springs, the load capacity was drastically reduced. It did ride a lot better though.

I have heard of people removing springs while using our kit to help with ride quality, but I do not have any personal experience with doing so.

I don't blame you for being hesitant doing it on a new truck.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
I installed the AirLift 5000 on my ram 2500. An easy do-it-yourself project for a Saturday afternoon and a couple of cool ones. As for purchase, I checked at local venders and then came across Auto Anything. Got the bags at a reduced price, and also free shipping. Got them , if memory serves me, in 3 to4 days. I tow heavy and can tell you that they were well worth the money.
They are not for added weight capacity but to stabilize, retain your factory ride height, and reduce pin shock when towing a 5th wheel. Let's just say, they were thourghly tested as we just returned from a 4 month,14000 mile trip through western Canada and every hi way in Alaska from Valdez and twice to the Atlantic Ocean. That was towing a 14k toy hauler. No problems at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam