Airbag recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I want to throw some bags in my 1500 for towing our camper next year to help with stability since we'll be bouncing over our payload rating. I want to keep as much squat under control as possible. Any recommendations? I am new to the Rams- I was a Fordy before- and it was as simple as adding a leaf :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
Air Lift 1000s

I got the tip here when I bought my 13' 1500 and I came from a F250. They are cheap, easy to install, and do very well on the road. I have towed a car trailer about 2000 miles so far with them and when fully loaded the ride is still good and the squat is very very manageable.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^This^^^. However, they are not meant to add to payload. They are just there to help keep weight on the front axle for control. Because you have them doesn't mean you can overload.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Oh, I know. I just want to add them to help control things a bit better. I have a pretty sad payload rating, so our TT will bump us over when hitched. Just want to manage that as best I can so I don't damage a coil or have my a** dragging too badly.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Airlift 1000's for sure.
They work exactly as they should and are cheap. I can't see the difference between them & Firestone aside from color.
I also can't imagine towing a travel trailer in our platform without them.
No sag, less sway, easy to use, cheap. GREAT :cheers:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You won't regret the purchase.
(But make sure you warm up the bags before you try and install them unless you do it in the summer haha)

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looking at the install video. Looks like you can just slip them in without dropping the coils?

5hole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Firestone actually makes the airlift 1000. I've had mine for a year and one side wouldn't hold air. The line and fitting had a bad connection simple fix. Other then that they work awesome. Not to mention they have a life time warranty.

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
Looking at the install video. Looks like you can just slip them in without dropping the coils?

I did mine by just lifting the truck by the frame until the tire lifted off the ground. With the bags warm from sitting in the sun, they were just soft enough to slip in. It is a little frustrating sliding them in but not that bad. I used a crow bar with some tape around the end to keep it from puncturing the the bag.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Also I had a little trouble putting the air hose on the top of the bags with them in the coils. I finally got them but I was worried about losing a finger if truck fell (I did have blocks etc under it. Just a wuss I guess. So you my put the hose on the bag before you slide it in just put the little "cap" on the end of hose instead of the bag (the one that holds a vacuum on the bag so it stays flat). The ride quality of my truck did not change with them set at 10 psi. I cannot even tell they are there. You will love them.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The instructions that come with the kit show how to fold them, but like a few of us have mentioned, they need to be warm to do so. Mine spent some time on top of a hot Air register first. It's an easy install but you have to be cautious running the lines (time spent here will save you aggravation later on)

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The instructions that come with the kit show how to fold them, but like a few of us have mentioned, they need to be warm to do so. Mine spent some time on top of a hot Air register first. It's an easy install but you have to be cautious running the lines (time spent here will save you aggravation later on)

Yeah. I will watch those lines. Thanks for the heads up :)

I'm going to incorporate some gauges too.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where would install gauges??
I installed mine in February, hence figuring out the heat register requirement.

OP
OP
smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Where would install gauges??
I installed mine in February, hence figuring out the heat register requirement.

I will fab a surface plate on the back bumper and case them in by the license plate somewhere. If they'll fit. Haven't dug that deep yet. Likely the same vertical orientation as the plugs.

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500 "Black Top" Edition 6.4L
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered a set, hopefully this weekend will be warm enough to install them. But then again I think I'm at least 2 months out from towing anything.

mpd2434

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spray them with some silicone lubricant, they will slide in easier. Still need a little force though but no crowbar needed. I installed my airlines on the bags before I installed them then just fished the hose up through the top of the springs. It's ALOT easier to connect the hoses before installing the bags.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless you're removing the springs to really make it easier, this is incredibly smart. I redid my airlines 2 weeks ago and was nearly frustrated to tears trying to get replacement air line on the barb inside of the coil.
(the replacement air line was much stiffer than the stuff provided by Airlift but I had no choice)

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500 "Black Top" Edition 6.4L
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great tip, thanks! Now if the weather would just warm up enough to try it out...