Airbag and WDH setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

earthquake5683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I just picked up a 2016 2500 to tow the Ragen 26FBX with. I need to have the weight distribution hitch (WDH) adjusted for the height of the truck (vs the Tundra it was setup for). I plan on adding airbags but need to tow the trailer before I can get the airbags installed. Will I need to get the hitch adjusted again?

Thanks,
Joe

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You should be okay. You might note how much the truck sags w/o the bags when you hitch up and figure about half of that goes away with the bags. I've run bags with several different setups and they don't move things a major amount. I've never measured but figuring half of the sag is eliminated should be in the ballpark.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Had to adjust mine after adding bags to the 1500. Pushed it up just enough to get the TT riding nose high.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would wait to set it up until after you add the bags. Towing it once nose high won't hurt anything. Why do you think you'll need airbags? Are you leveled?

OP
OP
E

earthquake5683

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I would wait to set it up until after you add the bags. Towing it once nose high won't hurt anything. Why do you think you'll need airbags? Are you leveled?

I've just read that most people add airbags. We had added them on the Tundra and it was a night/day difference when towing. I reconfigured the hitch for the Ram the other day and performed a test ride (and measurements) without any major issues. I did have a little....bounce (for a lack of better term). I think adjusting the tension on the torsion bars will help a little. The toy hauler was empty and all measurements were spot on. Gonna toss the airbags on this week and will see if i have to readjust again.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Ahhh, with a tongue weight of about 1000 lbs on the trailer and about a payload on your truck of about 2400 lbs you shouldn't need air bag unless you want them. I have a trailer and my tongue on my trailer is about 1000 lbs and when you hitch up my truck barely sage.