Airbags and softer springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '11 2500 Hemi and the rear end sags more than I like when I have a 800lb payload or more in the box. I often have quads, bikes, sled deck with sleds etc and I'm getting tired of the sag and flashing brights when I'm coming home in the dark from a day of fun.

But empty my truck rides like a lumber wagon. Stiffer than my friends '12 1 ton actually. Can I opt for softer springs or shocks to have a nice ride when empty but still use the airbags to full potential when loaded?

The easy answer is to use my 12v all the time but the wife absolutely hates the old girl. So I find myself using the Hemi more and more often.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have Firestone air bags like Crash posted and they work great but that only solves part of your problem. Theoretically, there's no problem with what you pose. I've thought about doing this exact thing but haven't ever researched it. I know the Power Wagons have lower payload so maybe they have softer springs?

I'm not sure if/what is available for your 2011 but on the newer trucks with coils you can do something like this:

https://kelderman.com/shop/2014-ram-2500-2-stage-rear-air-suspension-coil-replacement

Maybe even just bolting up some leafs from a 1500 and using the airbags when needed.

If you do go with airbags just be sure you get some good ones. There are some cheap ones out that don't have near the capacity of the good ones.

OP
OP
Reeb

Reeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. Replacement leafs for the truck are about a grand before taxes. I most certainly won't be going that route unless I can find a 1500 at a wrecker. I may try to cross the p/n for the Power Wagon too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Call thuren fabrication - see what he's got or recommends
Also cjc offroad does a lot of off road applications, they may have or know of a deaver set and a bag combo style that may work really well. Lots of people have your same dehlima- so I know there is a solution.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My truck has the rear coils, so it's a little different, but I plan on running softer rear springs from Thuren fab in the rear and I already have airbags. With the leafs you might try pulling the overload leafs off the rear packs.