Airlift 5000 vs 5000 ultimate vs 1000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey everyone!
Does anyone have the Airlift 5000 series airbags on their trucks? If so:
1) How do you like them?
2) How does it effect the empty ride?
3) Do you have an on board compressor?
4) How does It effect your towing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not sure what the differences are between types/brands aside from the 5000s obviously being more capable. The concept between them should be pretty much the same.

I had them on a past truck and loved them. They give you the ability to stiffen up the rear end and prevent sag when towing near your max. While towing they help prevent excessive repeated bouncing over bumps. Overall, they are a great addition.

They can come with manual fill in the form of a couple air valves (like a bicycle tire) sticking out of your truck somewhere. Or, you can get an on board compressor and a remote so you can adjust on the fly. I just had a set installed for my new 5th wheel but haven't been out with them yet (but I pretty much know what to expect). For the +/- $500 I just went with the manual fill valves.

OP
OP
Ktstull

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm not sure what the differences are between types/brands aside from the 5000s obviously being more capable. The concept between them should be pretty much the same.

I had them on a past truck and loved them. They give you the ability to stiffen up the rear end and prevent sag when towing near your max. While towing they help prevent excessive repeated bouncing over bumps. Overall, they are a great addition.

They can come with manual fill in the form of a couple air valves (like a bicycle tire) sticking out of your truck somewhere. Or, you can get an on board compressor and a remote so you can adjust on the fly. I just had a set installed for my new 5th wheel but haven't been out with them yet (but I pretty much know what to expect). For the +/- $500 I just went with the manual fill valves.

Do you remove any of the factory suspension parts when installing them?
How is the unloaded ride? About the same as factory or rougher or smoother?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Ultimate appears to have closed-cell urethane foam jounce bumper inside the air spring, while the 5000 is only the airbags. For our application, it replaces the foam bumpstop. I have not installed a 5000 system, but have been much more satisfied with my 1000 setup than I thought I could be.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just tow a 16 foot trailer and the Airlift 1000 work like a charm.

OP
OP
Ktstull

Ktstull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
What kind of weight are you towing on your 16'?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I had the airlift 1000 on my 2014, and it didn't cut it. Now I only had 1" of rake, but it would squat even with a 500 lb tongue weight trailer on the back. If the airlift 5000 had been out when I was in the market for bags, I would have purchased them.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Air Lift Company

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram
Engine
6.1 Hemi

The LoadLifter 5000 and LoadLifter 5000 ULTIMATE air springs are a little more challenging to install than the Air Lift 1000 air springs. The LoadLifter series springs require removal of the jounce bumper cup (cutting, grinding, drilling) in order for you to install the bags. The Air Lift 1000 air springs are significantly easier to install as you just need to slip them inside of the coil springs.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

The only part that gets removed are the factory bump stops. You should always keep a small amount of air in them to keep them from creasing and getting ripped. With that small amount they are basically doing nothing so there is really no difference from the factory ride.

Once pumped up all the way it feels like you're driving on concrete :) That only happens when you forget they are inflated and unhook the trailer and drive off. With my old ones I seem to remember running them at 30-40spi just to help a bit with the 5th wheel pin weight. I think they can be inflated up to 90 or something crazy like that.

I paid someone to install them and there's no cutting or drilling. They are very brand/model specific though so be sure you get the right ones. Mine were manufactured to go right next to the coils on my 2500.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody got the 5000 / ultimate on a 1500 and tried the 1000 series?

feedback? The 1000s seem a bit mickey mouse or am i completely wrong about that? The price and ease seems attractive.

5000 lbs being way over kill for a 1500 acknowledged and understood.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the research ive done on the 1000's its worth the experiment under $100 and easy self install. i plan on getting them soon will let you know how they work out both empty and max towing experience on off road conditions- cheers

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Anybody got the 5000 / ultimate on a 1500 and tried the 1000 series?

feedback? The 1000s seem a bit mickey mouse or am i completely wrong about that? The price and ease seems attractive.

5000 lbs being way over kill for a 1500 acknowledged and understood.
I had the 1000's on my 2014. If the 5000's had been out at the time I would have bought them. The 1000's didn't cut it for me. I always had squat with travel trailers and my dump trailer. My truck had a 1" rake unloaded

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
It's in a video, although I'm sure they have typed instructions as well somewhere.

The Timbergroves are similar to the 5000 series, but you keep the factory bump stops (no grinding/cutting). Easier install.

I have the 1000 series. I don't tow or haul anything that heavy with any frequency, but every once in a while, I have the need. If the 1000 series doesn't cut it, I'm going for the Timbergrove system.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have the 1000's in my 1500 CC. When I pull the marching bands trailer that weighs in close to 7000lbs and the bags aired up to 30PSI, the truck stays level. I'm probably going to add some aftermarket springs with a stiffer spring weight to use in conjunction with the air bags.

OUMX117

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were in your position I would get the 1000s ( I previously was and I did). They will be more than sufficient for any sane towing setup on a 1500. I have towed a 9,000lb enclosed 28' trailer from Oklahoma to the mountains of Colorado and it handled it beautifully, without a WDH I might add.

Xrsman, I loved your old truck. Do you think the Airlift 1000s not being "enough" was due to your longer coil springs because of your lift? I can't remember your exact setup though so I could be wrong.

Last edited:

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the Timber Grove and basic 5000 series, you are left with no bump stops. What are the caveats/dangers with that scenario? Anybody know?

SixPoints_Kev

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hey everyone!
Does anyone have the Airlift 5000 series airbags on their trucks? If so:
1) How do you like them?
2) How does it effect the empty ride?
3) Do you have an on board compressor?
4) How does It effect your towing?

Ktstull,

I have a 1500 CC and have the Airlift 5000 setup. I was originally going to buy the 1000's but was convinced it's not worth the money, even sub $100. The 1000 system is a very easy install but don't really offer much in terms of load support and longevity. I know the 5000 is overkill for what I can tow but I'd rather have more than I need. I have a manual fill/release via a schrader valve under my bumper. The ride is a little stiffer when empty but when I'm towing my trailer it makes all the difference in the world. I'd definitely recommend the 5000. I think I bought mine for around $300 plus a $75 for install. Hope that helps.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ktstull,

I have a 1500 CC and have the Airlift 5000 setup. I was originally going to buy the 1000's but was convinced it's not worth the money, even sub $100. The 1000 system is a very easy install but don't really offer much in terms of load support and longevity. I know the 5000 is overkill for what I can tow but I'd rather have more than I need. I have a manual fill/release via a schrader valve under my bumper. The ride is a little stiffer when empty but when I'm towing my trailer it makes all the difference in the world. I'd definitely recommend the 5000. I think I bought mine for around $300 plus a $75 for install. Hope that helps.

Sorry admins to resurrect an old thread but did you get the 75 dollar install at a shop? Trying to figure out if I should go with 5000 just dont want to cut the bumper off myself.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Timber Grove air bags have a much easier install and are great airbags and all the parts are top quality.