Another Brake Controller Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IdahoLonghorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
After looking through old threads I think I have a different problem with my factory controller. I just restored an old horse trailer including putting a new 7-pole plug on it. When I was installing new lights, etc, I used a MUTT trailer wiring tester and everything was working perfectly including the electric brakes. Other than the lights and new plug I did not touch the original wires. Before I replaced the trailer plug (because the housing was cracked) the brakes still worked fine. When I plug it in to my truck, intermittently I am getting warnings such as "trailer brake not connected" or "check trailer wiring" etc. During this time all of the trailer lights continue to work perfectly. It will often go back and forth while driving down the road, as if a wiring connection is loose but the connection remains tight. After cleaning the truck and trailer plug I hooked them up, jacked the trailer up and tested the brakes, and they worked fine. When I drove away I received the warnings and the trailer brake was said to be "disconnected. I took the truck and trailer to a local garage, he tested everything, looked at the plug wiring inside the housing as well as the wiring harness on the truck side and he was stumped. The trailer worked fine on a tester, the truck plug brake pin is putting out power. I got it home pulled the wheels off, checked the brake ground wires. Although they appeared tight the screws were rusted. I unscrewed both, drilled new holes and reconnected the ground wires with rivets. I tested the brakes before putting the wheels back on and they functioned perfectly. I hooked it up to the truck for a while, everything was connected and acting normally. When I pulled the trailer for a test drive today the warnings came back and the trailer brakes were "disconnected." Last week I rented an old trailer with electric brakes to haul a tractor and it worked fine, no issues. I don't know where to go with this now. I am going to buy another trailer plug, different model, and see if it changes. This horse trailer worked fine before I put this new plug on. I have an appointment with the Dodge dealer in a couple weeks to deal with the T25 recall. Is there a software update for the ITBC? The bumper to bumper warranty has expired, so if it is going to be cost prohibitive to fix the ITBC I'll just put an aftermarket controller in, begrudgingly. To top it all off the trailer works flawlessly with my wife's 2013 F-150. The only think I can think of is that the RAM's ITBC computer is so damn sensitive that it just doesn't like the new trailer plug and shuts the system down.

Any ideas?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like it's trailer related. When was the last time the electric brakes were serviced on the trailer?

Testers are nice, but nothing compares to real world stuff. I think you should get some self tapping screws for the ground wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I think you should get some self tapping screws for the ground wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll second making absolutely certain the grounds are good. Every flaky problem I've ever had with electric trailer brakes wnded up being ground related.

-K

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I plug it in to my truck, intermittently I am getting warnings such as "trailer brake not connected" or "check trailer wiring" etc. During this time all of the trailer lights continue to work perfectly. It will often go back and forth while driving down the road, as if a wiring connection is loose but the connection remains tight. After cleaning the truck and trailer plug I hooked them up, jacked the trailer up and tested the brakes, and they worked fine. When I drove away I received the warnings and the trailer brake was said to be "disconnected.
Your problem is trailer side, new brake controller is not the solution.

Since its an intermittent problem, the next time it " disconnects" manually apply the trailer brake lever. You might get lucky and be able to restrict it to those wires.

Since you redid your grounds after, i take it your refit of the the trailer didn't include complete wiring.

Dig in and look for scotch lock taps on the wires. Western Union style splices with solder and heatshrink preferred. had those wire taps on my boat trailer, great if your in a hurry and its not something your going to own long term.

R4M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
had the same thing happen (sort of) to one trailer we tow.

with the stock plug on the RAM we didnt have the right plug in on the trailer.

so we got a adapter,

the trailer brakes would lock and not release when hooked up to the RAM.

but worked fine on the other trucks.

luckily we had 3 different types of adapters, all pretty much the same, but different brands,

so for some odd reason, the 'hoppy' brand adapter worked, and when hooked up to the RAM, released the brakes on the trailer, allowing it to be towed,

we have a aftermarket electric brake box though....

ljmasonwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I've been getting the same warning recently. It started about 6 months ago with my flatbed (7pin trailer wire), plugged into the socket on the bumper. It had never happened before that (in 2 1/2 years?). Then a month ago it happened with my gooseneck horse trailer plugged into the socket in the bed. When I tested the trailer brakes using the controller, I had no trailer brakes. I cleaned all the terminals, but don't expect any changes as this is with 2 different trailers plugged into the bed and the bumper brake/light socket. I couldn't tell if the brake lights were working, but I turned on the headlights and wasnt able to see my trailer marker lights either.

I have a 2106 3500 Laramie Longhorn Crewcab 4x4 with the 8' bed, 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission diesel with the integrated trailer brake controller.