Another brake controller question but on a v6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cspaid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
Just bought the 2013 ram with the 3.7 and 8 speed tranny. I pull a 27ft camper at 5700 pounds all day no problems. I would like to install a brake controller but dealers and forums are all telling me different things. Im not sure if the v6 is different but the plug people are showing me doesnt match anything i find under dash. Can someone actually post a pic of the harness and location hooked to their truck please.

Thank you.

GETARAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
under the driver footwell panel on the right are two plugs (gray) all wrapped up with foam/tape. non factory brake controllers require a pigtail adapter sold at rv shops, or you get the mopar one installed and still have trailer sway control and whatnot working through your computer

OP
OP
C

cspaid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
under the driver footwell panel on the right are two plugs (gray) all wrapped up with foam/tape. non factory brake controllers require a pigtail adapter sold at rv shops, or you get the mopar one installed and still have trailer sway control and whatnot working through your computer

So i have to pull the panel next to gas pedal?

GETARAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
nope just cram in there and look up and reach in above where your shin is, theyre in there

OP
OP
C

cspaid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
nope just cram in there and look up and reach in above where your shin is, theyre in there

Found them thanks. So is it better to have the factory one or an aftermarket?

redneckstylin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
ruredu5y.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

GHQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar v6
Towing your 5700lb trailer

Hello

I'm considering purchasing a 2014 Ram with the Pentastar. I curious what your fuel economey while towing your 5700lb trailer. Mine is 5200lb so it should be close.

Thanks

electricme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Figured Id post this in this thread... I pulled my camper the other day and used the brake and harness from the 2010 bighorn... it plugged in ok but the brake always had the brakes on? on the 10 i could adjust the gain or whatever when I push the brake it would apply the brakes that percentage on the trailor for this I had to turn it all the way down and use the E brake... Has it changed from 10 - 13? and the plug fit so I assumed it was the same.

Power Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Figured Id post this in this thread... I pulled my camper the other day and used the brake and harness from the 2010 bighorn... it plugged in ok but the brake always had the brakes on? on the 10 i could adjust the gain or whatever when I push the brake it would apply the brakes that percentage on the trailor for this I had to turn it all the way down and use the E brake... Has it changed from 10 - 13? and the plug fit so I assumed it was the same.

I don't know if you've solved your problem but figured I'd post this video of the install for your truck :

Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2013 Dodge Ram Video | etrailer.com

I also noticed this reply in the e-mail troubleshooting section (discussing the wiring change to 2013 and up RAMs) :

Wiring Change in 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup Affecting Aftermarket Brake Controller Installation | etrailer.com

It appears you need the proper wiring harness (3023-P). According to the videos, it should then work properly.

From the E-trailer site : "Although the under-dash connection port (on the 2013-and-up) appears identical to earlier model years the assignment of the functions on the various wires has changed. The terminal that used to be the stop light signal, now has battery voltage whenever the ignition is in the run position."

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
I'm in the trailer business and we have found that the Ford and GMC and some Dodge trucks with the factory installed [built in] controllers have issues when using electric over hydraulic disk/drum brakes, when using straight electric drum brakes everything works fine, however when towing a trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes the brakes don't work, I have read that the newer trucks controllers don't receive a resistance signal from the magnets in the brakes [because there are no magnets] so the computer thinks there is no trailer hooked up and no power is sent to actuate them. You need to install either of these items in your tow vehicle to fix the problem.
Titan BrakeRite SD Adapter for Ford/Chevy Integral Brake Controllers Titan Accessories and Parts T4845900
CARLISLE Hydrastar Controller Adapter Module #HBA-CAM
These will fool the controller into thinking it has magnets and the system will work.
THIS IS ONLY FOR FACTORY INSTALLED [BUILT IN] CONTROLLERS, AFTERMARKET UNITS WILL WORK FINE WITHOUT THIS UNIT.

Last edited: