Another "Can I Tow It" thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I already have a 27' Winnebago Minnie 2200SS travel Trailer. GVW of the trailer is 7,000lbs with a dry weight of 4,900lbs. With gear in it's just under 6,000lbs and a hitch weight of 760 to 800lbs. I may actually be moving about 40lbs to the rear in a box on the bumper.

I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new 2016 Laramie Longhorn sitting on a dealers lot. This is one of three leftover trucks in a farm community about an hour from me that never sold. The previous sales manager had ordered them without understanding that the high end trucks that sell there are 2500 and 3500 Rams for the heavy farm equipment.

Anyway, as usual the payload numbers for the truck are all over the place. Even if you call Chrysler Customer Care you get a slightly different number than the 1540 in the Towing & Payload Capacity guide. Funny it doesn't match the door sticker.

I just want to make sure there isn't going to be a problem with this setup. Truck has the HEMI in it with 3.21 gears and every other option known they could tick. Why the 3.21 gears instead of the 3.92 is beyond me. The truck is for sale at just over $16k off MSRP which puts pricing right about what a used 2016 goes for. Yes they want to get rid of it.

I will be using my Blue Ox SwayPro hitch with 1,000lbs bars. They may seem like too much but they really are smooth and just about nothing even makes me move with them on. Surprisingly they are not harsh riding at all. We've been towing locally with my Wife's Grand Cherokee Summit with just me in it and her following and been fine. Have took it on the freeway as well and been very happy. Just would like to take her and my daughter along in the some vehicle.

Sorry for such a long post but this has been driving me crazy.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That will work just fine, as long as you watch your numbers. Wife takes kids and dogs and all the luggage with her in her Durango, and I️ pull a 9500# Open Range “Light”. Set up your hitch and make sure the brakes are good.

Now cue the weight police who will yell at you and say you can’t do it and blah blah blah.

8961625e173a5ab65bc96efb7736b593.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
What I pull with mine, I had just pulled it put to see where it was setting at hitch height in this photo.
With the wdh you have you should be fine mine pulls this easy even with the 3:21s.

Attachments

• 20170721_094843.jpg
    20170721_094843.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new 2016 Laramie Longhorn sitting on a dealers lot. This is one of three leftover trucks in a farm community about an hour from me that never sold. The previous sales manager had ordered them without understanding that the high end trucks that sell there are 2500 and 3500 Rams for the heavy farm equipment.

Not to be a skeptic but this sounds like the greasy-ist sales pitch I've ever heard. You have the "opportunity" - yeah, so do I and everyone else on the planet. "The previous sales manager had ordered....." blah, blah, blah. Isn't this how all the radios ads go?.... Something like, "Crazy Hal has done it again!! He lost his mind and ordered too many trucks and we don't know what to do with them all!!"

As others have said, watch the numbers. 3.21 gears are not great for towing. As for the urgency of the situation, I say take a deep breath. The deal will still be there tomorrow.... or next week. Dealers make a killing on scaring people into thinking they've struck gold and must buy today, immediately, right now!!!

Take your time..... don't get sucked in.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to be a skeptic but this sounds like the greasy-ist sales pitch I've ever heard. You have the "opportunity" - yeah, so do I and everyone else on the planet. "The previous sales manager had ordered....." blah, blah, blah. Isn't this how all the radios ads go?.... Something like, "Crazy Hal has done it again!! He lost his mind and ordered too many trucks and we don't know what to do with them all!!"

As others have said, watch the numbers. 3.21 gears are not great for towing. As for the urgency of the situation, I say take a deep breath. The deal will still be there tomorrow.... or next week. Dealers make a killing on scaring people into thinking they've struck gold and must buy today, immediately, right now!!!

Take your time..... don't get sucked in.

I am fully with you. I walked out of the dealer and said we can continue next week. I went ahead and made an appointment to show I am serious, but have been doing my research.

Have relatives that have been in the car selling business so I know when i'm getting the wool pulled over my eyes. I have been doing my homework and so far it's legit. If it helps it's a 2016 Laramie Longhorn, or a Limited. The longhorn has everything and it $43k brand new. The Limited doesn't have the rambox's and is $42k. I actually prefer the Limited but I like the Rambox's as there have been multiple times I wish I had them. The narrower bed would be fine for me.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
RamBoxs add weight to your rear axle you may not want with your trailer hooked up. But you could move that stuff to the trailer box on the back you mentioned to even weight out.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RamBoxs add weight to your rear axle you may not want with your trailer hooked up. But you could move that stuff to the trailer box on the back you mentioned to even weight out.

Been thinking of that as well. I have a 31" ATV box that I can mount on the Campers rear bumper. It will hang off by about 8" bust most of it will be positioned right above it to minimized the load torquing you can get with a bike rack back there. I refuse to carry bikes on the rear of a travel trailer because of this. The box will be used for my chocked, jack pads, and levelers and nothing else. Figure around 50lbs max or cargo.

I m also putting a box under the rear that will hold my sewer supplies and the Lipper underbody boxes just in front of the rear axle of the camper to hold water hoses and electrical, along with a few misc items. Each one on each side is rated to 100lbs, but I will only have around 30 to 40lbs max in each one. That will help free up tongue weight from my passthrough but I don't keep much else in there. I have a couple of chairs I may put in there but not sure if they will fit. Figure this will keep my tongue weight below 800lbs and with a full load of no more than 6000lbs, i should be good on weight distribution with the camper. I don't carry a full fresh water tank ever as I don't boondock. I only keep around 10 gallons in it max to flush at a rest area, etc when traveling. Usually it's less than that.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That will work just fine, as long as you watch your numbers. Wife takes kids and dogs and all the luggage with her in her Durango, and I️ pull a 9500# Open Range “Light”. Set up your hitch and make sure the brakes are good.

Now cue the weight police who will yell at you and say you can’t do it and blah blah blah.

8961625e173a5ab65bc96efb7736b593.jpg

Nice looking setup. I came close to buying an Open Range Lite but, since the nearest dealer is a good ways from me, decided I didn't want the hassle when something was wrong. It an RV that's hand built, something will be wrong.

I will say that our big trips will usually have a second vehicle because we like to go to a few places that let us bring our golf cart. I can load up the excess junk on the trailer with it if really needed.

OP
OP
hunter99

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I pull with mine, I had just pulled it put to see where it was setting at hitch height in this photo.
With the wdh you have you should be fine mine pulls this easy even with the 3:21s.

Thanks that' is helpful. Nice looking setup. My trailer is shorter than that so that helps too. I posted in the previous reply what I am going to do for better storage. This would be to both make it easier for accessing what i need and to help distribute the load better too.

moparsigfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Check out RV Tow Check 3.0

http://fifthwheelst.com/rvtc_calculator.html

They had a website but now the link above takes me to the Apple App Store to download their new app.

This simplified the decision making process enormously as long as you know all of the capacities of your tow vehicle!

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can it pull it? Yes

Will you be over payload? Yes

The rest is up to you to decide if you're ok with that if you buy the truck and tow that trailer. By no means am I the weight police, but knowing how low the payload is on these trucks and the hitch weight you mentioned, it's almost certain you would be over.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Check the Tire and Loading sticker in the door jamb on all three that are available and pick the one with the highest number (hopefully over 1000 lbs...)

Unfortunately all that bling takes away from payload capacity.

-give-tire-pressure-standard-17-tires-tire-loading.jpg