Anyone hauling motorcycles or quads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motorider228

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 QCSB 4x4 Mineral Gray
Engine
5.7 liter
If so what are you using for your anchor points for your tie downs? Anyone purchase aftermarket mounting hardware? If so what did you get?

Thanks guys.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2010 has 4 anchor point built in..I carry my kawi zx10 to the track and back with just those 4 points..If you have a floor (not a trailer mount)wheel chalk you will never have a prob..
Pick up whats called a canyon dancer strap if its for a motorcycle..
What i did without the wheel chalk is to run a ratchet strap for each handle bar and still one more through the front wheel to keep it front turning in either direction and then ran one strap from the tie down on one side through the back wheel to the other anchor point..Didnt move an inch all through my 450 mile drive and a 6 hr ferry ride each way..

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Careful with those Canyon Dancers, they're known to over stress the bars and cause a break. There have been a bunch of unhappy people on my Concours 14 forum. You're better off to get a soft strap and go around the tripple tree then hook your ratchet strap to that.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
For my quad I tie down to the two mounts in front and wrap one around the back 2 tires going across (my tail gate won't close). I just use regular ratchet straps.

OP
OP
Motorider228

Motorider228

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
For my quad I tie down to the two mounts in front and wrap one around the back 2 tires going across (my tail gate won't close). I just use regular ratchet straps.

Never had an issue with the bed sides bowing in under tension? I looked up underneath and there is a beef up plate, but I wanted to check with other guys before I strapped my CRF450 down to those things.

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
I tie my 1000 # Polaris rzr to the factory hooks on my 3rd gen

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Never had an issue with the bed sides bowing in under tension? I looked up underneath and there is a beef up plate, but I wanted to check with other guys before I strapped my CRF450 down to those things.

No problems at all, been doing it since June. My quad weighs about 700-800lbs.

redsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.5 Ecoboost
I hauled my Ducati home in the bed from Denver when I bought the truck has 4 spots for hooking to, I've got handle bar straps to tie my ratchet straps to and I used the back pegs for extra stabilization. Didn't have a problem on the 400 mile trip home.

ramtruck4life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a couple atv's and dirt bikes.. with my banshee and my raptor i dont even need to tie them because its a perfect fit :D with the longer box and have bumpers on the atv's its perfect

moparbay

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7l
I just use the ones in the bed with ratchet straps on both sides, so far so good!

e445dc7c.jpg
04e2edea.jpg

This is exactly how i tie my rmz-450 down. More times then not, i have 2 bikes back there. Never had any problems with the front tire moving either and we don't really cinch the straps super tight. Just tight enough to keep the bike from rocking side to side. The back wheel of the bikes can move around a little if the roads are rough enough.

Last edited:

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You are a more brave soul than I... I would never not put a strap over the rear suspension of that bike, even if you say it doesn't do anything. I don't like my **** shifting AT ALL lol.

But I am a tight ass so what can I say.

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Well I keep mine tight to where the bike can barely move...

OP
OP
Motorider228

Motorider228

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Thanks for the replies guys. I was just nervous about strapping my CRF450 down using those tie down loops that came from the factory. I guess I will use them now!

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Careful with those Canyon Dancers, they're known to over stress the bars and cause a break. There have been a bunch of unhappy people on my Concours 14 forum. You're better off to get a soft strap and go around the tripple tree then hook your ratchet strap to that.

I never put alot of strain on them anyways...I dont wanna pop the fork seals..I use enuf tension to pull the front end down a bit and in bumpy situations like dirt roads i add bungie cords to the eyelet on either side of the rachet strap to and in that way if the front end dives and strap looses its tension the bungie cord covers it...Keeps the tension on the hooks so they dont slip through the canyon dancer..

Kaiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always used the factory hooks in the corner of the box for hauling both of my quads, ones 400lbs and the other is 700+ and have never had an issue.

iNtErNeT_rYaN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I use pit bull trailer restraints in my trailer. Or a baxley chock in a pinch or in my bed. Neither require tie down to the bars.

Last edited:

Brian N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
attachment.php

With my 01 Ram, I don't use any straps. It is wedged in the long box by my tool box up front (with the ramps tucked underneath the bike), and the tail gate. Never had a problem, and it has gone every where.
In the 08 Ram, I use 2 tie downs at the back just so it doesn't slide forward into the back window. I also have my ramps in front of the bike in case the straps break.
I haven't had a chance to put it in the back of the 11 yet. The wife has the truck all the time, and I never get to spend time with it.

Attachments

• 2001Dodge Ram 2500 1.jpg
    2001Dodge Ram 2500 1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 304