Anyone towing a 10k to 13k 5er with a 6.4 hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Was curious if anyone here is towing a mid profile 5er such as the Grand Design 323bhs or cougar 336bhs with the 6.4hemi in the 2500 or 3500. They both have dry weights of around 11k. My truck has the 6.4l with 4.10 gears. I was wondering if you are is it an enjoyable experience? I know most people prefer a diesel for 5ers but I want to hear from the few that tow with these gassers. Any input would be great!

Thanks,
Nathan:favorites13:

jbnimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4 4.10
Was curious if anyone here is towing a mid profile 5er such as the Grand Design 323bhs or cougar 336bhs with the 6.4hemi in the 2500 or 3500. They both have dry weights of around 11k. My truck has the 6.4l with 4.10 gears. I was wondering if you are is it an enjoyable experience? I know most people prefer a diesel for 5ers but I want to hear from the few that tow with these gassers. Any input would be great!

Thanks,
Nathan:favorites13:
Just picked up a 2500 6.4 w/ 4.10 for the same idea of pulling a 5'er someday. Would like to upgrade my 31' TT in the future. Hope to see some positive responses here.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not a 5er but lugging a 2k backpack with 9.5k on the hitch and couldn't ask for more. Real world 5th #'s make it #3400+ pin weight on the rear axle. Stock CCSB 3500 SRW w/6.4 and 3.73's. I'll run as fast as the trailer tires let me and grin the whole ride long. ~1,000 miles over the last 2 weeks 10.8 mpg (EVIC, so take it with a grain of salt).

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Towing a 13k plus Cougar toy hauler. Initial towing with the 3.73 gearing not so good. As we live in CO and elevations starting about 5000 and generally 7 or 8000, the 3.73 didn't give the low speed power that is required many times. If you can milk 3500 to 4k out of the engine then you will be ok. that said, with the 3.73 1000 rpm is equal to 10 mph so have to get to or near 40 mph before hitting the power band. Not easy said as done on some of the steeper hills. Re geared to 4.56 and now towing is much easier and no more beating the beast to have the usable power. Fact, rarely need 4k rpm now anywhere. Didn't gain the mileage i had hoped for but still 8 to 10 but no strain on the engine. Should lend greatly for engine longevity. On the way now to Alaska. Probably 12000 mile trip so should know any weak points by the end of the summer. So far, couldn't ask for better.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
If and when I get a 5'er I don't think that I would or need to go that high since it's just my wife and I but I'm liking that Jayco HT 27.5.

OP
OP

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Towing a 13k plus Cougar toy hauler. Initial towing with the 3.73 gearing not so good. As we live in CO and elevations starting about 5000 and generally 7 or 8000, the 3.73 didn't give the low speed power that is required many times. If you can milk 3500 to 4k out of the engine then you will be ok. that said, with the 3.73 1000 rpm is equal to 10 mph so have to get to or near 40 mph before hitting the power band. Not easy said as done on some of the steeper hills. Re geared to 4.56 and now towing is much easier and no more beating the beast to have the usable power. Fact, rarely need 4k rpm now anywhere. Didn't gain the mileage i had hoped for but still 8 to 10 but no strain on the engine. Should lend greatly for engine longevity. On the way now to Alaska. Probably 12000 mile trip so should know any weak points by the end of the summer. So far, couldn't ask for better.

This is good to hear. Besides the regearing part. We live in Ohio so hills are not near as large as to where you are. We like to take about a 5-8 hour trip once a year with current tt 314bhds jayco. Want to go to north Carolina soon hopefully. Is this 13k loaded? Or dry. How much over your gvwr do you think you are? 4.10 gears may be a sweet spot for a slightly lighter 5er than what you have. The wheels are turning now!

OP
OP

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
If and when I get a 5'er I don't think that I would or need to go that high since it's just my wife and I but I'm liking that Jayco HT 27.5.

I also do like the ht series from jayco. Just with they made one with a bunk house slide. The open range light makes a very nice bunk house slide but has no outdoor kitchen which I do not want to give up. Gotta have the bunks with the 2 kiddos.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
11K dry 5th is pushing it for this truck in both payload and max towing. Unless it's just you in the truck with maybe a bottle of water and a sandwich you will well over your 3000# payload. You could probably stay under the 15,500# max towing.

I'm running a 9000# dry 5th which weighs in at about 10,500# loaded and am right at my payload max.

OP
OP

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Yeah I know the gvwr is the limiting factor on these 2500's. I always see people pulling giant 5ers with 3/4 tons and pulling them well. Albeit with diesels that have lower payloads than gassers. They have better power but lower overall ratings in the 3/4tons. It all boils down to what comfort level you are willing to sacrafice i guess. The 2500 and 3500 srw share everything except rear springs. In the gassers the 3500 gvwr is only 800 more than the 2500. Yet it has 1000 more payload capacity which makes no sense to me. You would think the gvwr would be 11000. I think the trucks are obviously capable of more. Also what is the actual legal limits on trucks. Is it the gvwr or the ragw. Most things I see in the codes is ragwr. The manufacturers of these 5ers need to actually make trailers targeted for trucks. The half ton 5ers are realistically for 3/4 tons then the rest is pretty much 1tons. There seems to be no middle ground. It's almost like a 3/4 ton is a misfit truck. My rant is over. Lol. Hopefully more people will chime in on what they pull with the gasser.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
38' Laredo 5er. Dry wt of 10,800#. Pin 2300#. Pull it with a SRW 3500 with 3:73's.
I'm in upstate NY, and we have our share of hills. Truck handles it fine.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
In conjunction with the 5'er, i also haul a B&W slider, 7500 generator and now, 4 five gallon fuel cans. I did install the AirLift 5000 bags but even before, had only about a 2" spring drop. With the AirLift, run about 40# of air and am back to unloaded ride height. Did it for the pin shock and think it will also help with spring sag after a few years. Added plus, now headlamps are in adjustment as well. Was the second best expense besides the gearing. That said, at the lower elevations here in Canada, i think the 3.73's would tow fine all day long but still would recommend anyone buying new, special order the 4/10's that are offered. Am really surprised what the drop in elevation does to the overall power and drivability. Am running 87 obtain and have no issues what so ever. Also when driving empty, the MDS is almost always on and even on some of the more hilly terrain, never a downshift to fifth.

OP
OP

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
In conjunction with the 5'er, i also haul a B&W slider, 7500 generator and now, 4 five gallon fuel cans. I did install the AirLift 5000 bags but even before, had only about a 2" spring drop. With the AirLift, run about 40# of air and am back to unloaded ride height. Did it for the pin shock and think it will also help with spring sag after a few years. Added plus, now headlamps are in adjustment as well. Was the second best expense besides the gearing. That said, at the lower elevations here in Canada, i think the 3.73's would tow fine all day long but still would recommend anyone buying new, special order the 4/10's that are offered. Am really surprised what the drop in elevation does to the overall power and drivability. Am running 87 obtain and have no issues what so ever. Also when driving empty, the MDS is almost always on and even on some of the more hilly terrain, never a downshift to fifth.

Man you are hauling some gear. I am curious what you actually weigh in at? I just got done doing some browsing. I think I found a 5er that gives me all the room I would want at just the right weight. It's a Forest river Wildcat 32bhx. New floor plan for 2017 with a mega slide. Right at 12k gross weight. These are the type that need to be made for a 3/4ton.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I also do like the ht series from jayco. Just with they made one with a bunk house slide. The open range light makes a very nice bunk house slide but has no outdoor kitchen which I do not want to give up. Gotta have the bunks with the 2 kiddos.

Yeah, I know what you mean they are very nice, their is a rv show this weekend that I'm planning on going tomorrow to look at all of them. I or we can't make up our mind that do we want to go 5'er or TT but when the time come we will make up our mind. No kids here but the grandkids keep threaten us that when we do get one they planning on going.:crazy:

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Man you are hauling some gear. I am curious what you actually weigh in at? I just got done doing some browsing. I think I found a 5er that gives me all the room I would want at just the right weight. It's a Forest river Wildcat 32bhx. New floor plan for 2017 with a mega slide. Right at 12k gross weight. These are the type that need to be made for a 3/4ton.

Wow, now that is long and heavy but sweet looking, I know that the wife and I wanted to keep ours at around 30'.

OP
OP

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Wow, now that is long and heavy but sweet looking, I know that the wife and I wanted to keep ours at around 30'.

There is an rv show this weekend also in perrysburg oh. I want to go to but don't know if we will make it. I would like to walk through this new floor plan if I knew it was there I don't think any of the dealers carry this brand that will be at the show. Being a gvw of 12k which i know would never load it that heavy it would be a nice fit for our 2500 I think. Long I'm not to worried about since our tt right now is 37.5ft. Tongue to bumper.

Last edited:

bentpushrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow a Puma Unleashed 356QLB which is a 36' 5th wheel toy hauler with my '16 2500 6.4 and 3.73's. Empty weight is 9900. Loaded up I'm around 12-13,000. It pulls just fine. Much more comfortable and quiet than my old 94.5 F350 with a built 7.3. I'm done with diesels. I only tow on weekends in the summer, otherwise my truck is a daily driver, and no need for a diesel.

OP
OP

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I tow a Puma Unleashed 356QLB which is a 36' 5th wheel toy hauler with my '16 2500 6.4 and 3.73's. Empty weight is 9900. Loaded up I'm around 12-13,000. It pulls just fine. Much more comfortable and quiet than my old 94.5 F350 with a built 7.3. I'm done with diesels. I only tow on weekends in the summer, otherwise my truck is a daily driver, and no need for a diesel.

Nice work! I am in same boat. Have a company car and truck only gets about 5k miles a year if it's lucky. That's why I went with what I felt was the best all around gasser I could get. It was a hard decision as I am a Ford guy at heart. Ram just seems to be hitting the mark right now.