Auto leveling necessary for moderate loads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

headdown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hello everyone,

I am newly retired, and just about to order my new 2016 Cummins Ram 3500. I will be ordering it from the factory to get exactly what I want. I have done some rather inconclusive research about the auto load leveling option, and thought I would ask the folks here their opinion. I will be doing a lot of traveling in the southwest US states with a 5th wheel trailer over the coming years during the winter. I'm an astrophotographer, and will be mostly getting as far from civilization and lights as possible when in the desert. In the summers I will be back in Canada, and the truck will run empty most of the time. The trailer I have not bought yet, but it will be in the range of about 10 to 12,000lbs, with a pin weight around 2300 - 2500 lbs. This is just a rough estimate, since I haven't even found a trailer yet.

I have a few questions. Will the auto leveling affect my ride when empty? I see so far that some people say yes it will, and others say it will not at all. Others say it actually seemed to make the empty ride worse with the auto leveler than without. There just doesn't seem to be much agreement on this.

Second question is, with a pin weight that is only about half of what I can legally haul in the bed of the truck, will the auto leveling even be necessary? How much will the truck squat with 2500 lbs on the pin? Enough to actually matter at all? I am also reading that uncoupling from a 5th wheel can be a hassle with the auto leveling because as the weight comes off while uncoupling, the truck chases the trailer by trying to lift the rear of the truck. If true, this could affect my decision as well.

I won't hesitate to get this option if it is needed, but don't want to throw money away for nothing either. Or be cursing the auto leveling feature every time I uncouple from the 5th wheel trailer. Any advice much appreciated!

Dean
Ottawa, Canada

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
After reading about the option I've come to pretty much the same conclusion as you. Lots of differing opinions and unknowns. I think for the 5th wheels you're looking at you don't need it. If you decide you do just get a set of Firestone airbags. They are less than 1/2 what Ram wants for the air suspension and you have full control. The main thing that turns me off on the auto-system is it doing its "auto whatever" when I don't want it to. I far prefer having control and just doing it myself.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
assuming the 3500 and 2500 rear air suspension - auto leveling suspension are the same, I have it on my truck. Like mtofell stated, an aftermarket add on will give you more control. The factory set up lets you adjust easily between normal height and a approx. 3 inch lower height. otherwise, it is all self controlling. Other control options are done through the stereo touch screen and is tedious.

I can't comment on the empty ride quality as I've never been in a non-air equipped 2500. but mine is not too bad - a very subjective statement. it does a good job leveling when loaded though

The comments about the suspension "chasing" the trailer. I don't get it. As I disconnect my trailer, I unload the hitch, the truck rises, theres a delay, the rear suspension clicks and whines then it deflates itself. The hitch falls away from my trailer.

not a bad "canned" system, but if you want to control it, adjust it, and have to pay for it, I'd go aftermarket.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a few questions. Will the auto leveling affect my ride when empty?

The problem with getting an answer to this question is you need to find someone that has both and can give and honest answer. I have the air leveling on my 3500 and from test drives, there was no noticeable difference in the ride. I can tell you this, the ride quality is really determined by the road you are traveling.

Second question is, with a pin weight that is only about half of what I can legally haul in the bed of the truck, will the auto leveling even be necessary? How much will the truck squat with 2500 lbs on the pin? Enough to actually matter at all? I am also reading that uncoupling from a 5th wheel can be a hassle with the auto leveling because as the weight comes off while uncoupling, the truck chases the trailer by trying to lift the rear of the truck. If true, this could affect my decision as well.
Many folks miss the point for air leveling, it isn't only to correct squat, but it puts the truck's rake level allowing the trailer to sit level. Fifth wheel trailers will ride nose high or low if the truck's rake isn't challenged. The goal here is towing stability and equally putting trailer weight on the trailer's axles.

I have a 3500 SRW Longhorn, my payload is 4,000 pounds, my pin weight is 2,800 pounds, my pull weight is 15,000 pounds. When I hook up, I select the alt ride height, back into the pin box to make the connection. When I lift the landing gear, the truck will drop down. After a minute or so, the auto level will engage raising the truck to a level position. When I unhook, I lower the landing gear until I see the pin weight coming off the truck, unhook and pull the truck away. The auto leveling system doesn't chase the trailer, I've read that too and the only thing I can think of is it is written by people that don't have the system or, by people that are slow to disconnect a bumper pull which I've done without issue.

I strongly suggest you get the leveling system. It performs exceptionally when trailing, it smooths out the road. Here is my setup in alt ride height.

2015-06-16%2015.09.30_zpsq2bg3klj.jpg

Last edited:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
For me, the auto leveling system is a godsend. It works wonderfully in full automatic mode, it has no affect on ride quality when running empty (not sure I could tell...it's a 2500 after all), can be set manually if you wish (but you probably won't) and levels things out without a fuss when a load is applied.

My 5'vr pin weight averages 1500 # and it's nice to have the truck level itself out with no fussing with a compressor, airbags or other such aftermarket systems.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
can be set manually if you wish (but you probably won't).....

I might be missing something. could you explain what you mean by setting manually? I only have various set modes through me stereo and a "alt height" button on my console. I have no other adjustments. a manual adjustment would be great! any info appreciated.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a button on my console called "Alt Trlr Height" and it allows me to change the rear height if I want. I can push and hold that button and the compressor kicks on, changing the height.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
oh, yeah, I have that button too. do you mean you hold it and it toggles between 2 different pre-set heights or you can adjust it to "random" heights? I know, I should pull out my owners manual again, but I don't remember reading that in the past.

OP
OP
H

headdown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thanks for the answers everyone. it sounds like I may have misunderstood about the truck chasing the trailer on uncoupling. BossHogg, it sounds like you are about 500 lbs heavier on the pin weight than I will be. Can you give me any idea how level I am likely to sit with about 2300 -2500 lbs pin weight, if I do NOT have auto levelling? Could I be lucky enough to have the weight be in the right ball park to make the truck/5th wheel sit level? The Ram I am getting can haul around 4300 lbs in the box, so I am hoping that 2300 - 2500 lbs pin weight might just bring it and the trailer close to where it should be.

Dean

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
BossHogg, it sounds like you are about 500 lbs heavier on the pin weight than I will be. Can you give me any idea how level I am likely to sit with about 2300 -2500 lbs pin weight,

Dean, I wish I could tell you but because I have the rear air system it will always readjust the ride height regardless of the setting (alt height or normal ride) when weight is added to the bed. The system doesn't have an off, it is dynamic always adjusting not only the ride height but also the rear side to side balance.

Also keep in mind the fifth wheel hitch will add a 200 to 300 pounds depending on what you go with. I highly suggest an auto-slider if you get a standard bed. This is straight out of my lessons learned book, not once, but two times I hit the fiver's cap and the truck's cab.

You would get an answer to your question on the rv.net site in either the fifth wheel or tow vehicle forum.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a button on my console called "Alt Trlr Height" and it allows me to change the rear height if I want. I can push and hold that button and the compressor kicks on, changing the height.

I have a 2015 with the rear air leveling. The button on my center stack reads;

ALT
TRAILER
HEIGHT

It simply has two states, normal or alternate ride height. Pressing and holding it does not change the ride height. I can access the other modes (tire change, wheel alignment mode, transport mode, etc.) through the EVIC but nowhere do I have the ability to manual set the ride height nor does my owners' manual mention this feature.

I know the system was introduced in late fall of 2014 production and on restriction. Must have been an early feature pulled for 2015 production.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2015 with the rear air leveling. The button on my center stack reads;

ALT
TRAILER
HEIGHT

It simply has two states, normal or alternate ride height. Pressing and holding it does not change the ride height. I can access the other modes (tire change, wheel alignment mode, transport mode, etc.) through the EVIC but nowhere do I have the ability to manual set the ride height nor does my owners' manual mention this feature.

I know the system was introduced in late fall of 2014 production and on restriction. Must have been an early feature pulled for 2015 production.

this was my understanding on how the system worked as well. I thought I missed something.

So it's been removed as an option after late 2015 MY?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I musta got lucky with an early version or mine isn't working right but I can start and stop the compressor by just pressing and holding the button. As soon as I remove my finger the compressor stops.

I kinda like having it work that way!

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
mines and early 2015 production. I'm going to go play with my button.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Can you give me any idea how level I am likely to sit with about 2300 -2500 lbs pin weight, if I do NOT have auto levelling?

Do a search for user "ib516" - He was/is a poster here and over at rv.net who did a crazy amount of research and comparison with his 2500 coils and some with the 3500 leafs of a friend. He has videos of loading up the trucks with 5th pin weights and taking measurements.

Aside from your questions about the air lift I think the sag will be minimal with 2300-2500 and a slider hitch in a 1 ton. Even with my 2500 coils and a similar pin weight I didn't get the bags (mine are aftermarket) because of sag. I got them because I am near the max for the coils and I felt I was getting a bit of excess bounce over big bumps and dips. Honestly, I could have lived without them and it isn't a huge difference. I just like the ride a bit better with them when towing.

OP
OP
H

headdown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thank you mtofell! That comparison post he did pretty much answers my question. He measured the 3500 squatting 2 inches with a pin weight somewhere between 2700 and 3000 lbs. That is 400 to 500 lbs more pin weight than what I will have, so mine should likely sit pretty level with 2300 lbs and no auto levelling, so I am leaning towards not getting it. The price just seems to climb and climb as I find more goodies to add. :)

Dean

prp9391

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Just bought my 2019 3500 Laramie Longhorn and it did not have the Self-leveling feature. Is this something I can have the dealer install know and does anyone have an estimate on cost?

Thanks!

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Never read of anyone adding the rear air leveling system. It isn't an aftermarket kit offered either. I think the cost to add the system would be sky high between parts and labor.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Just bought my 2019 3500 Laramie Longhorn and it did not have the Self-leveling feature. Is this something I can have the dealer install know and does anyone have an estimate on cost?

Thanks!
The factory air bags actually replace the rear springs, similar to the airbags on a tractor trailer. I'm thinking you would have to have the truck built with them from the factory. When I look at mine I can't see this being a dealer installed option. You could add aftermarket air bags. I put a set on a previous truck and they make bags that are installed inside the coil springs which I liked a lot. I even opted for the remote compressor unit so I could adjust them from the cab. I seem to think it was around $600 for the entire setup and I did the installation in my garage. It took a couple of hours one evening to complete. The hardest part was running the wires to the cab and mounting the compressor in a safe spot.