Auto tie downs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Looking at getting an enclosed car hauler, and I'm looking at different options for tieing a car down. I've seen the straps that go around the axle, ones that go through the wheel and a few that wrap around the tire. I haven't reall seen anything that will work in an enclosed trailer with a low car that doesn't have rims that will allow a strap to be put through them. For those that use an enclosed trailer what have you found that works best?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Even a "low" car has the same space between the axle and the ground, just harder than get too.

You kind of answered your own question, "around the tire".

In reality, if the car is so low you can't get the axle wrap, you probably won't be easily loading it.

If you're asking about a solution that attaches or secures via bodywork, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
honestly, unless your towing the same car all the time, your going to need need a few different options on hand to a tie car down. there is no 1 and only strap set up, at least from my experience. ive always preferred to use the straps that go through the wheel but, as you pointed out, its not always possible.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
We used axle straps with standard 2in ratchet straps. Always was intrigued by the ones that go on a rail system and over the tire but never used them.

Edit: adding pic of the rail system I mentioned.

Attachments

• Demo-Erickson-Trailer-Cargo-Control-77314_644.jpg
    Demo-Erickson-Trailer-Cargo-Control-77314_644.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yeah that track system looks interesting. My concern is that most enclosed trailers only have 4 tie down mounts and with smaller unibody cars it seems you are limited on tie down option. Maybe that track system between the factory mounts

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have found most smaller cars still hav good places to wrap axle straps and sometimes the owners manual has the built in tie down locations marked. Some cars will have little eyelits that screw into the bumpers for towing I know BMW does this as I had to pull one out of the snow and couldn't find a good place to hook a strap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye