Is this bad for the transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dteuscher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just watched the guy at the landscape place push a pallet of rocks into my utility trailer with a forklift. He set it in there and then pushed it forward over the axle. When he did this, the truck lurched forward. Is this bad for the trans? It was in Park with the engine off. I searched online for answers, but couldn't find any good info.

If the trans is in Park and you push the truck forward against its will, something has to give right?

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, that's bad. Next time use the parking brake. It's easy to snap the park pin and send the truck rolling.

If you weren't a regular parking brake user before, you'd better become one now. If your pin gives out then you may not find your truck where you left it ;)

OP
OP
D

dteuscher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The parking brake was on also. I wonder if some of that movement was just the suspension? I would guess the front would compress and the rear would extend if pushed from behind.

goldtr8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
as long as the parking brake works you should be ok. The suspension moves a lot when pushing this way.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had a pallet of fence boards loaded onto my utility trailer in the same way. the forklift pushed the entire truck/trailer combo forward. left a 1 ft long skid mark, but my brakes were on. I guess you should always count on the lowest common denominator.