ball mount slop fix, fast, cheap, easy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
was about to haul a trailer full to the land fill today, courtesy of the previous land owners that used my 20 acers as a dump :flipthebird: and came up with a great idea to mitigate the slop in the ball mount.

I used 3/32" aluminum filler rod for Tig welding. took a black smith hammer and slightly flattened it until one piece could slide in the bottom right corner of the receiver. this removed right to left movement. Then took another piece and flattened it a bit more to slide in above the ball mount to remove up and down motion. it works GREAT!!, and it took about 3 min to make. As I said it doesn't get rid of ALL of it but its darn close to it. and you dont have to weld on the ball mount like some people do. After the trip to the land fill and some errands around town the "shims" did not get smashed up at all. and if they do i can make more or just use stainless filler rod instead. If you have a steel ball or you tend to haul a good amount of weight I would suggest stainless steel.

O , I made both long enough to slide all the way through and hook on the the back and the front as shown in the pic.

let me know what ya think. :favorites13:

Attachments

• IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 177

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just wrapped my hitch in electrical tape and smacked it into the receiver with a mallet. Works like a charm.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I just wrapped my hitch in electrical tape and smacked it into the receiver with a mallet. Works like a charm.

i WOULD DO THAT IF i PLANNED ON LEAVING IT IN. i DONT WANT TO LEAVE MY WEIGH-SAFE IN WHEN NOT USING IT.

OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i WOULD DO THAT IF i PLANNED ON LEAVING IT IN. i DONT WANT TO LEAVE MY WEIGH-SAFE IN WHEN NOT USING IT.

If I'm not mistaken, at least in my state (MA) it's illegal to drive with the hitch attached. So it must be removed when no trailer is attached.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If I'm not mistaken, at least in my state (MA) it's illegal to drive with the hitch attached. So it must be removed when no trailer is attached.

iv heard of this but never looked into it. What if you get one of the "steps" to put in your hitch? you should be able to leave that in right? you know.... a back up sensor.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure I have not looked into it either. Just have heard that is the rule here. I may have to lookup that regulation and see how it's spelled out.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I purposefully leave my hitch in... That way if anyone decides to rear end me it's less damage to my truck.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I purposefully leave my hitch in... That way if anyone decides to rear end me it's less damage to my truck.

thats the point of the law. some states don't want it in for "safety" reasons. just another ticket you can get.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Now that's a great idea. I'm gonna give that a try with some SS material.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Now that's a great idea. I'm gonna give that a try with some SS material.

I changed the top "shim" to SS. it just works better. I did have to flatten the crap out of it to fit on top but i never have to change it now. still have the original SS one for left to right slop and have used it a handful of times now. not deformed at all.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
was about to haul a trailer full to the land fill today, courtesy of the previous land owners that used my 20 acers as a dump :flipthebird: and came up with a great idea to mitigate the slop in the ball mount.

I used 3/32" aluminum filler rod for Tig welding. took a black smith hammer and slightly flattened it until one piece could slide in the bottom right corner of the receiver. this removed right to left movement. Then took another piece and flattened it a bit more to slide in above the ball mount to remove up and down motion. it works GREAT!!, and it took about 3 min to make. As I said it doesn't get rid of ALL of it but its darn close to it. and you dont have to weld on the ball mount like some people do. After the trip to the land fill and some errands around town the "shims" did not get smashed up at all. and if they do i can make more or just use stainless filler rod instead. If you have a steel ball or you tend to haul a good amount of weight I would suggest stainless steel.

O , I made both long enough to slide all the way through and hook on the the back and the front as shown in the pic.

let me know what ya think. :favorites13:

That is good idea.

I might try this one.....I was using chassis grease with mine, coating the sleeve and the hitch, works good, but you have to re-coat, especially once you start to tow more often.

As first I was removing mine, but eventually just starting leaving it in as I used to always.

I know people around my neck of the woods "think" that too, but it is in fact not true, there is no law stating you cannot leave your hitch in, completely false.

Exactly....I cannot count how many times I have been hit, nothing done to my truck at all....the guilty person however was not so lucky!

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I live in Texas...

im not specifically targeting your post and saying your breaking the law. im just pointing out,to all, the propose of the law that some states may have and using your post as and example of why. Im not talking about just Texas

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
im not specifically targeting your post and saying your breaking the law. im just pointing out,to all, the propose of the law that some states may have and using your post as and example of why. Im not talking about just taxes.

Ah I gotcha.

TTU14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I shoved a dime as far back in the receiver as I could and it did the trick.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I believe duct tape is the proper repair media...

I used electrical tape because it's black and more rubbery than duct tape. It's been working just fine. I'm sure duct tape would work too though.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I used electrical tape because it's black and more rubbery than duct tape. It's been working just fine. I'm sure duct tape would work too though.

(Dont ......dont ..do...it... Aaahbaaaaabbbbhhhhhh) i cant help my self!

BLACK TAPE MATTERS!!!

AAHAHAHAAAA!

Sorry. :word:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio