Ball Mount, vertical vs angled (custom Fab)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
i have been researching ball mounts for my 1 ton (2.5" receiver). after looking around a lot, seeing the high prices on the nicer ones and realizing what all I REALLY need. i will most likely only be towing 1 of 2 trailers that I have and they both are identical heights (at the ball mount) from the ground.... I am going to make my own as I am a welder/drafter at my work. I have 2 CAD drawings made up. I am beefing them up substantially with thicker materials and bigger bracing.

my question,
I see 2 different types of drop down ball mounts. one that drops straight down from the receiver and another the has the slight outward angle (towards trailer).

VERTICAL
https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Husky-Liners/HL17251.html

The only benefit i can see with this is the tongue weight is closer to being directly under the receiver so the weight is technically closer to the truck/axle making less torque, and not magnifying the weight. also, structurally there is less stress on the ball mount geometry being vertical so you would think this design can take more weight.

ANGLED
https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45427.html
well, i cant see what the benefit of this would be. anyone?

I think I am going to go with the vertical design but still looking for opinions on the pros and cons of the 2 types.

Thank you.

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hate being this guy I really do but is $100 really worth building one over? Not to question your ability as a welder but if that thing comes sort for some weird reason that's a lot of liability on you for 100 bucks.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hate being this guy I really do but is $100 really worth building one over? Not to question your ability as a welder but if that thing comes sort for some weird reason that's a lot of liability on you for 100 bucks.

understand your point and I cant argue it.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
explaining my welding ability and my certifications can only be taken with a grain of salt too.

I can garuntee that my welds ( 3/32" dual shield) will be better than the .035 hard wire welds on all the ball mounts you can buy.

Product Details - Hobart Brothers Performance Welding Products

still wondering what the differences are.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
well fabrication is still just a thought. i may suck it up and spending money on a weigh safe.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Not knocking your welding skills I don't know you. I'm a prescion tig welder certified in multiple metals for aviation. I know I could lay down way better welds than they are laying down in the factory but the liabilities on them if it fails. If your a welder and it's what you do I have no doubt it's a better weld. Its just food for thought and I'm really not trying to be rude or make assumtions one way or another about your skills. Its just the liabilty for the price is what I would take into consideration. As far as desgin my only thought is you could put a bigger gusset on there if it leans out, stright down your limited to how far it comes out of your reciver as to the size of gusset you can put, other than that I see no other advantages.

Depnding on how much weight your pulling you could always get a 2in receiver and tack the sleeve on it so it won't rattle or get lost.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Not knocking your welding skills I don't know you. I'm a prescion tig welder certified in multiple metals for aviation. I know I could lay down way better welds than they are laying down in the factory but the liabilities on them if it fails. If your a welder and it's what you do I have no doubt it's a better weld. Its just food for thought and I'm really not trying to be rude or make assumtions one way or another about your skills. Its just the liabilty for the price is what I would take into consideration. As far as desgin my only thought is you could put a bigger gusset on there if it leans out, stright down your limited to how far it comes out of your reciver as to the size of gusset you can put, other than that I see no other advantages.

Depnding on how much weight your pulling you could always get a 2in receiver and tack the sleeve on it so it won't rattle or get lost.

thank you for the post. I have considered you opinion and I think I am going to buy a weigh safe and then make a step that I can put into the receiver to help me step up their when needed. I also want it as a deterrent to keep people from parking to close to my tailgate.

thank you

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
just orderd the weigh safe with the 8" drop. talked to one of the owners and they are very nice people and were very helpful. I almost purchased the 10" drop and after talking to him the 8" would be perfect.

they said the recommend a minimum ground clearance between the bottom of the ball mount to the ground to be 11" or more. the 10" drop would have put me right at 11" with no load on the truck. with the 8" drop the small trailers (engine drive welder trailer) will sit a little high but our car hauler will be darn near perfectly level with a load.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Awesome, this will just give me a piece of mind, what's left of it anyway.:)

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Being a welder myself and knowing what I do, I've built many hitches, frames, etc.
Save the $100 and build it free. Unless you question your own abilities.
A welder built the one your buying and that person could very easily not be as good as you.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Being a welder myself and knowing what I do, I've built many hitches, frames, etc.
Save the $100 and build it free. Unless you question your own abilities.
A welder built the one your buying and that person could very easily not be as good as you.

I've never questioned my welding ability. A good welder can fix anything and bridge any gap. The reason I decided to purchase the weight safe as stated above regarding the liability issues that could come up if something did happen. The one that I bought doesn't have a single Weld on it anyways. It's all milled from solid block of 6061 aluminum

Last edited:

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I've never questioned my welding ability. A good welder can fix anything and bridge any gap. The reason I decided to purchase the weight safe as stated above regarding the liability issues that could come up if something did happen. The one that I bought doesn't have a single Weld on it anyways. It's all milled from solid block of 6061 aluminum

Some of them sure are purty.
Ability was meant in a general term. Some people can't stick things together.
I thought you wanted one of the ones you showed. Those are easy.

I'm liable for everything I weld. It's law. Hitches to steam pipe to truck frames to oilfield. If a issue comes up and it's proven to be a weld fault, I am liable. Mistakes can be a serious offence with jail time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Some of them sure are purty.
Ability was meant in a general term. Some people can't stick things together.
I thought you wanted one of the ones you showed. Those are easy.

I'm liable for everything I weld. It's law. Hitches to steam pipe to truck frames to oilfield. If a issue comes up and it's proven to be a weld fault, I am liable. Mistakes can be a serious offence with jail time.

Your last sentence is why it makes it so easy to just buy one.