Battery/ies for travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1 x 12v? 2 x 6v? I've read guys are buying golf cart batteries due to low cost/long output?
Thoughts for a newb? We're looking to meet a US dealer at the border to pick up a 2013 Passport 3220BH and I might as well buy the batteries in the land of the cheap, before crossing back over to land of the over-prices/taxed.
Thanks guys!

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I just got a 12v from walmart, cheapest one they had for RVs. Cost around $55 here.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
trailer batteries

I made a bracket to hold two 12 volt batteries. Most trailers only have the bracket for a single battery. These will supply two of us for 5 days while dry camping with showers and lights, etc. It is amazing how much longer you can get by with two batteries over one. Good battery maintenance is also required. When charging your batteries through the onboard system they will never fully charge as the converter limits the charge so as not to boil out the batteries. If you want a full charge you must hook up a regular charger to the batteries. Make sure you purchase the batteries for RV use as a regular battery will not last with numerous charge/discharge cycles. When the trailer is parked make sure to charge the batteries monthly or if left over the winter you will probably end up buying new ones.
Hope this helps

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
6v batteries aren't really any more expensive than 12v. They do put out much more charge and they last a lot longer. They're great for dry camping. Check out Costco for batteries. Here is how to do it.
RV 6-Volt Golf Cart Battery Upgrade | ModMyRV]

OP
OP
audio1der

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, guys. I have no doubt that 2 6V is the way to go, but are "golf cart" batteries any better than any other type of 6V batteries, or is that just a slang term for all 6V batteries??