Best 5th Wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey all. Looks like I've found the setup to use with my ram boxes, now to pick the trailer! Went and looked at Denali and Montana specifically. Then I saw a ton of negatives on the web. I know the web can be filled with negatives so I figured I'd ask you folks!

Does one have better slide mechanisms than another?
Easier maintenance?
Better made?
Etc...etc...

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey all. Looks like I've found the setup to use with my ram boxes, now to pick the trailer! Went and looked at Denali and Montana specifically. Then I saw a ton of negatives on the web. I know the web can be filled with negatives so I figured I'd ask you folks!

Easier maintenance?

Better made?

Etc...etc...

Denali, and Montana, are both owned and made by Keystone. You won't see the Denali line on the Keystone site, but as of 2014 I think, Keystone bought them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I feel that these two are very comparable.

I think it is going to come down to which one fits your design tastes better as they are all running similar equipment and seem to be of the same value across the board.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you checked out the iRV2 forums? More info over there than you could read in a lifetime. Kinda like here for Rams.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
I think all manufacturers make a decent unit. Will there be issues? Probably. But most of the issues I've encountered over the yrs have been minor.

Pick a floor plan that fits your needs. And research those brands that offer that plan. I've had 3 keystone rv's, would i buy another? Yes.

As mentioned irv2 is a good site as well as Rv.net.

OP
OP
Klaus96

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you checked out the iRV2 forums? More info over there than you could read in a lifetime. Kinda like here for Rams.

I'll check it out

OP
OP
Klaus96

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And how is resale?

champ198

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've owned a few 5th wheels. No matter what you're told about quality or features, the manufacturing and ownership of brands has been significantly consolidated over the past two years. Meaning, there are a handful of manufacturers and a lot of brands. So many brands and lines within brands that is confusing at times. Multiple brands roll down the same line. For example, I have a Cameo. The Cameo name was purchased by Thor and is being built on the same assembly line as Redwood RV 5th wheels. They basically buy a brand and add it to their existing lineup, incorporating their build process.

There are a lot of good 5th wheel products out there but do your research first. People are usually vocal on problems on the internet, but all of them will have problems as they are practically a house on wheels and are built as fast as possible.

A place I go regularly is RV.net and visit the forums. You will spend hours reading up on everyone's experiences. Also, plan to visit dealers. You can see what you like and don't like. Shop, come home and research, then go shopping again.

Good luck!

Grunt4Life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Easier maintenance?
Better made?
Etc...etc...

So I've done a lot of research and will agree with EVERYTHING stated so far. Will provide you. However will share with you some of the data I've captured. My sources include RV Consumer Group (paid review services and will based Quality/Reliability from that) and then give my general opinion based on RV site s, forums etc...

Note- If you're interested in 5th wheels with an MSRP over 115k let me know.

1. Heartland- Active forum, customer's generally seem happy
- Big Country- Sweet unit
- Big Horn
- **Don't bother with their top of the line Landmark
- Oakmount
- Elkridge

2. Northwood Manufacturing- A lot positive stuff, well built BUT heavy
-Artic Fox

3. Palomino- Nice units but a small company. They are on my short list
- Columbus (NOT the Compass model)

4. Jayco- Appears people are general happy with them. Nothing cutting edge
- Pinnacle
- Whitehawk

5. Crossroads - On my list. Good forum people seem happy
- Cameo (love the front bath model! Although rated lower than those above it is my favorite)

10+. Keystone- #1 selling at all price points. Because of features they are on are list but there appears to be big concerns with leaking (fewer on the high end models "Montana".

Denali (previously made by Dutchmen) is so far down the list I didn't bother. they look nice though.

Let me know if there is a specific make/model and I'll provide what I can.

P.S. Most of these models you will see fro around 78k-100k BUT they can easily be gotten for under 63k out the door for 2017 models. I know this because the wife and i went to the RV show in PA a couple of weeks ago and got quotes on 3 models. AND don't let anyone tell you they are show prices!

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

Easier maintenance?
Better made?
Etc...etc...

Look at Artic Fox and Outdoors mfg RV Glacier Peak.

Built for the outdoors and hot/cold temps.

I bought a Outdoors Creekside Travel Trailer. You may want to look at their TT instead of the 5th. The TT have the same layouts.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Quality and good resale value are two things I don't equate to RV for the most part :)

I've been through about a 1/2 dozen RVs over the last couple decades and overall it's an awesome hobby and a great way to spend time with family and friends. Unless you spend A LOT of money and get into some really high end brands, RVs are a roll of the dice. Every manufacturer churns out good and bad.

There's a big difference in how/when/where you plan to use it. If you're like me and it's weekends here and there, and a couple long trips a year, most brands will hold up just fine. They just aren't built to withstand daily use (structurally, moisture build-up, etc, etc.). Lines like the Montana and Denali are made largely the same the cheapest lines are but just have more bells and whistles. I ended up a Keystone Hideout which is the absolute most entry level unit Keystone makes. I'd have paid more for a higher model but I/we absolutely fell in love with the floor plan so I went for it. I'm coming up on a year and have honestly had nothing go wrong.

My best advice is to cruise the manufacturer's websites for floor plans you like. Be ready to spend some time as there are a lot of them to go through. RV shows are also a great place to learn in a somewhat low pressure environment. Dealer lots are high pressure and the chances that the perfect RV for you happens to be sitting on the lot you walk on to are pretty slim.

Also, as you're shopping, don't look at the MSRP price with any seriousness. Most RVs can be had for 65-70% of that ridiculous number.

marine6212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Rv dealers are not selling multiple RV's daily! So they are gonna try and get you for as much $$$ as possible. They make their money off maintenance and accessories! And the occasional sucker!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is how my wife and I got a grip on RVs. We first decided on what our RV goal was, full timing and traveling the country for a few years.

We spent one summer traveling and visiting camp grounds and talking with RV owners.

Long story short, few complaints about their RV, many had after thoughts about their floor plans and would do it differently next time, most had negative views of their RV dealer.

We wanted a four seasons coach designed for full-time living that could be towed by a one ton SRW, these requirements narrowed down our choices. We decided on a rear den floor plan which increases storage, and provided three areas inside the coach. We decided to purchase a Montana 3790RD. After two seasons of camping we have no complaints with the Montana. The dealer, a much different story but we expected that from our camp-ground interviews.

I found a web site I used to find the best price. I provided the model I was looking for and it returned a list of resellers that had the 3790RD on their lot. I negotiated a best price through email.

To give you an idea of pricing, the Montana had an MSRP of $72,000, no $84,000, no $69,000. Amazing, we got the VINs and contacted Thor (parent company) and they kindly provided us the MSRP pricing sheets. The actual MSRP of these 3790s, which were all configured the same, was $71,019.00. Local dealer made us a one time only, if you sign today, rock bottom price of $68,000, he later lower to $64,000. We got it for $53,000 (+ tax) from a dealer we located using the internet. If I can remember the web site I'll post it.

RVs come purpose built as toy haulers, bunkhouses, coaches and in trims like cars, you have the Sonics, Impalas, Buicks, Lincolns, and the Rolls Royces. Some are four seasons, some are full time living, some are designed for towing and others for parking on a permanent site. They all share one common, poor resale so do your homework before you purchase.

Last edited:

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Big savings if you search around. Most of these are made around the Great Lakes area. If you're willing to travel you can save. The downside to that is if there is an issue the dealer can give you a hard time if you didnt buy it from them. Some wont but most will.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Couple great points in the last posts - I have heard that dealers somewhat fraudulently make up MSRP (who knows, maybe the manufacturer is okay with it?). When I bought I did the internet price shopping and they definitely get cheaper the closer to the mid west you go.

I ultimately paid about $1500 more for mine to avoid a 400 miles drive and mainly so I'd have a dealer nearby (10 minutes away). Warranty work is nothing like with vehicles. I've heard RV dealers get their bare bones cost from the factory and even that's a paperwork nightmare so they are not motivated at all to help if you didn't buy it from them. They're barely motivated if you did buy it from them :)

The whole business model of an RV dealership fascinates me. As best I can tell it's like used cars with a bit less ethics :) :) Not that they are all bad and I know they need to make a buck but being a frivolous purchase they really try to stick it to people. I've seen many people overpay by thousands of dollars or more.

OP
OP
Klaus96

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm in the Midwest so...I've just started looking and looked on craigslist vs. new and saw the lack of resale value, no surprise I guess. There is some merit to buying from a local dealer if possible.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm in the Midwest so...I've just started looking and looked on craigslist vs. new and saw the lack of resale value, no surprise I guess. There is some merit to buying from a local dealer if possible.

I'm buying a '17 TT and paying 28K for it. If I waited until about May, it would be about 4 or more off. I wanted it with the add ons it would be very difficult to find. Also, I'm expecting to use it for at least 10 years and I use it a lot.

The usual pricing is something like this.
new - 25% off MSRP
1 year old 20% off sales price - not MSRP
2 years and more take off another 10% for each year

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I live very close to the RV manufacturing center of the country. Paid 14k for my first TT new, MSRP was 20k. 6 years later got 6500 trade in on a 34k TT (MSRP) that I got for 25k. Could have sold the first one privately for a better price, but was easier to trade in and the price of the new one was set before I offered a trade.

I have a dealership close by that I have had repair work done, and really like them. Unfortunately they don't sell anything I'm interested in..