Best Air Bags to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spudy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all.
Want to add some rear air bags to my ram. Been pulling a trailer quite a bit and want it to help level the truck out. See there are 3 brands everyone post about

Airlift 5000
Timber Grove
Total Load Control (TLC)

Whats everyone thing about the 3 of them?

Seen with the airlift you have to cut off the bump stop to make it fit. Hate the extra work but seems like it would make for a bigger bag and more adjustment.

Dont know much about the other 2

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I went with TLC. Straight bolt-on kit, so no modifications to your truck isn't required. Just pull out the bump stop (easy), place the bags in position, bolt on the brackets, and plumb the air lines (100% reversible).
IMO, you can't go wrong with either of the three. They'll all provide a better ride then the air pockets that goes in the springs. All have good results from the research I did, so it comes down on if you a complete bolt-on kit or don't mind making slight modifications.

Last edited:

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
there is also boss airbags as well same as tlc except they make there own airbags and cheaper.google them you might be surprised. I have a set will be installing them shortly.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have the TLC bags also. Staight forward installation with no cutting/drilling, Timber Grove are the same). TLC use Goodyear SuperCushion airbags in their kit. With the truck unloaded and 5psi in them, you don't even notice them.

OP
OP
S

spudy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so is the is there any reason for the need of the extra height on the cutting to make the air lift ones fit? Also the other bonus of the airlift was they have the bags with the bump stop in them in cause they become deflated or leak.

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
can you install any of these kits while the truck is on the ground?

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
so is the is there any reason for the need of the extra height on the cutting to make the air lift ones fit? Also the other bonus of the airlift was they have the bags with the bump stop in them in cause they become deflated or leak.
If air is leaking from your bag, that's a different problem on it's own. If properly installed, air wouldn't leak unless there's a puncture in the line or bag. If you run the recommended minimum air pressure, you wouldn't bottom out or need the bump stop. If you want it internally with the kit, air lift is the kit for you.
can you install any of these kits while the truck is on the ground?

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Yup. If you have big hands and depending on your model and options, you might have to drop the passenger side exhaust and spare tire to get your hands in to tighten the bolts. Definitely will make the job easier, but not required.

1975gordo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 1500 is my daily driver, but I pull a 33' travel trailer occasionally. The trailer is 6500 lbs dry, with a 800 lb tongue weight. Bought the truck when I had a lighter TT, and the truck was fine, with he larger trailer it squatted. I installed the Airlift 1000 bags ($85 on Amazon) inside my coil springs and run them at about 25 lbs when Im towing, and the minimum when I'm not. Made all the difference in the world. I also recently upgraded the truck tires from the Stock SRA's to the Nitto Terra Grappler XL, the stiffer sidewall made a big difference also. My dad runs the Firestone bags, he loves them. He also paid more than I did. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.