Blue Ox WDH?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I bought a trailer, and now need a weight distributing hitch. My dry weight is 6600lbs and my hitch weight on the trailer is around 950lbs. So I'll be need a 1000/10,000 hitch rating.

The Blue Ox weight distributing hitch came recommend to me by a friend who has the 1200/12,000lbs model that he uses with his toy hauler and 3/4 ton truck.

The Blue Ox seems well reviewed. Anyone have anything negative to say about the Blue Ox setup? From what I've read, it seems like the Equalizer and the Blue Ox are the 2 best out there. The Anderson doesn't seem like it can handle my set up very well due to length and weight of my trailer.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Can't go wrong with either one. I know a few fellow campers with each and all have been happy.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
So I bought a trailer, and now need a weight distributing hitch. My dry weight is 6600lbs and my hitch weight on the trailer is around 950lbs. So I'll be need a 1000/10,000 hitch rating.

The Blue Ox weight distributing hitch came recommend to me by a friend who has the 1200/12,000lbs model that he uses with his toy hauler and 3/4 ton truck.

The Blue Ox seems well reviewed. Anyone have anything negative to say about the Blue Ox setup? From what I've read, it seems like the Equalizer and the Blue Ox are the 2 best out there. The Anderson doesn't seem like it can handle my set up very well due to length and weight of my trailer.

I don't have any experience with blue ox but like you have seen good reviews. I would probably just get a 1200lb rated setup. I run a equalizer 1400lb. Setup which is good for 1000-1400 lbs. It works very well on our TT with 8900 dry weight. And an advertised 900 tongue weight. I have never measured it to be exact.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You're likely going to be closer to 1200 than 1000 when fully loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:favorites13:
You're likely going to be closer to 1200 than 1000 when fully loaded.

Me?
I dont know much about how it all works. But I figured I'd loose a 100+ pounds of hitch weight when I put my Harley in the trailer. Because it'll go behind the rear axle of the trailer. And then of course gain some of that back when I start loading things in the very front of the trailer.

The trailer is a toy hauler. And the only thing that's in the very front of the trailer is the bedroom and bathroom.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A

Me?
I dont know much about how it all works. But I figured I'd loose a 100+ pounds of hitch weight when I put my Harley in the trailer. Because it'll go behind the rear axle of the trailer. And then of course gain some of that back when I start loading things in the very front of the trailer.

The trailer is a toy hauler. And the only thing that's in the very front of the trailer is the bedroom and bathroom.

I would say yes a 1200 pound rated hitch setup. A 1000 pound hitch would be the max tongue weight it would be rated for. A 1200 pound would give you more wiggle room and just transfer weight more easily with the weight range your trailer would be at depending on how you load it. A 1200 pound hitch should be good for 800-1200 pound tongue weight. Where the 1000 pound hitch would have a range of 600-1000. Trailers are almost always heavier than what the stickers or specs say on the trailer. There should be a sticker on your trailer to say what the trailer weighed leaving the factory with propane tanks filled and generator tank filled if applicable. Of course only true way to find out is to put it on a scale.

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately this dealer did not have the actual tongue weight taped to the tongue of the trailers like some dealers had. But the actual weight of the trailer is something like 6650lbs. I do not remember the exact amount.

I will definitely look more into the heavier rating per your recommendation!

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

…The trailer is a toy hauler. And the only thing that's in the very front of the trailer is the bedroom and bathroom.

And the batteries and propane which aren't accounted for in dry hitch weight and are way out in the front.

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
The way my dealer explained it to me was that the dry weight was as it came off the assembly line and that the propane tanks, battery and spare tire was not included in that.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The way my dealer explained it to me was that the dry weight was as it came off the assembly line and that the propane tanks, battery and spare tire was not included in that.

This is correct. The weights on the sticker are without propane(or even tanks), batteries, or fuel(of applicable)

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm very pleased with my husky. It's 1,400/14,000 with dual sway control and it pulls my 30' tt like a dream. The sway control really helps for longer tt as they sway a lot with winds and passing semis.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
For reference... This is the setup it moves.

RamDenali_zps7ba63ada.jpg

Dutchmen Denali 289RK. That is my old Express. But the same EAZ Lift.

THe problem with the EAZ Lift is you "have" to remove the sway bar before backing up. I have backed up multiple times but not sharp. BUT you DO have to remove it before backing it up.

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How long is that trailer? It looks big! The "289RK" trailer model used to make me think it would be 29' But mine is a 211 model and the spec sheets say the overall length is 27' 11" so....I'm finding its better to just ask.

That's one thing I do not wanna have to do, is disconnect anything while backing up. I'll be driving solo.

I saw a good deal on the Blue Ox online this morning, and I couldn't pass it up.

I am excited and a little nervous to hit the road. Everyone says the 5.7 Hemi 1500 can pull it, but will the trailer stay straight?!? At least the trailer isn't THAT much heavier than the truck.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
It is a little bit short of 34'. Dry weight is about 7300. The anti sway takes about 10 seconds to remove but I get what you are saying

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is a little bit short of 34'. Dry weight is about 7300. The anti sway takes about 10 seconds to remove but I get what you are saying

What a relief! Someone has a longer and heavier trailer than me!
How does your truck handle it? How is it in the wind and passing vehicles?

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
What a relief! Someone has a longer and heavier trailer than me!
How does your truck handle it? How is it in the wind and passing vehicles?

What is your tow vehicle? I pull a jayco 32bhts 38ft. Tongue to bumper. 8900 dry weight. Tow it with a 2500 crewcab shortbed 4x4 6.4l hemi. Sway is minimal. I would say your best hitches are going to be the equalizer 4 point system, husky centerline, blue ox. Pick what you like and run it. Proper setup is key. Just follow the directions.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
For the love of god set the brake gain properly!

Just like an AWD/4WD in the snow/ice - it is easy to get going, stopping is the problem.

Set your load up correctly and towing is easy BUT most people forget about stopping.

Last edited: