brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grzmnky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does anyone know if I can add just the switch to my '13 express and control trailer brakes. I have a flat 4 and round 7 plug at my bumper as well. Im curious if the truck is already wired

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the '12s and previous had the wires so I don't see why yours wouldn't. (I do recognize yours is placed near the gear selector knob)

OP
OP
G

grzmnky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yea I guess I need to look and see if the harness is there.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All the '12s and previous had the wires so I don't see why yours wouldn't. (I do recognize yours is placed near the gear selector knob)

not true, my 2012 only has 1 of the harness connectors needed to run the factory controller. i believe the 2013 requires a trip to the dealer after the switch is added, unlike previous model years where you could still control the trailer brakes on the controller itself without having it programmed for the truck.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Huh. First I've heard of the harnesses not being there. that doesn't make any sense. Did you buy new?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Huh. First I've heard of the harnesses not being there. that doesn't make any sense. Did you buy new?

yes, i bought my truck new. all trucks have 1 of the harnesses there. the factory brake controller requires 2 harnesses for whatever reason. the second harness is for power i believe. you can add any aftermarket controller, using the 1 harness thats in the truck, but if the truck doesnt have the second harness, you have to splice in the second harness in order for the factory controller to work.

2013's are different though.

OP
OP
G

grzmnky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spoke with local service dept. they said the 13s need ecu flashed for controller to work after installed. Just FYI