Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here's how I look at it. I have free time (fortunately) and the dealer is very close to me. Ill take my truck there once a week if I have to! Eventually, they will have to fix it and I'm not backing down. Ram is not going to want to keep paying for the warranty work and the dealer is not going to want to keep seeing my face there either. I can prove that the brakes don't work right by taking them for a ride with the trailer.. It's not one of those problems that only shows up occasionally. By the way, picking my truck up tomorrow. They gave me a loaner (15 grand Cherokee limited)

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Here's how I look at it. I have free time (fortunately) and the dealer is very close to me. Ill take my truck there once a week if I have to! Eventually, they will have to fix it and I'm not backing down. Ram is not going to want to keep paying for the warranty work and the dealer is not going to want to keep seeing my face there either. I can prove that the brakes don't work right by taking them for a ride with the trailer.. It's not one of those problems that only shows up occasionally. By the way, picking my truck up tomorrow. They gave me a loaner (15 grand Cherokee limited)

You are not playing a game that most dealerships have not seen before by others on other issues. Eventually FCA will shut down the revolving door and instruct the dealership that they will not reimburse them for your repeat visits and by proxy, the dealership will turn you away for this complaint.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't think not being able to stop a huge trailer is a game. They're risking people's lives and huge lawsuits by not fixing it. So,they either fix it or.......well, they fix it. It's easy to prove the case. This isn't one of those issues where you here a noise or don't like the way something functions. It's life threatening!. The worst part is when people give up or have no fight left in them , or have your attitude (whether it's this, high taxes, etc). I'm not saying I'm going to hire matlock and go after the manufacturer. But, at least I'm going to try to exhaust every option.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I don't think not being able to stop a huge trailer is a game. They're risking people's lives and huge lawsuits by not fixing it. So,they either fix it or.......well, they fix it. It's easy to prove the case. This isn't one of those issues where you here a noise or don't like the way something functions. It's life threatening!. The worst part is when people give up or have no fight left in them , or have your attitude (whether it's this, high taxes, etc). I'm not saying I'm going to hire matlock and go after the manufacturer. But, at least I'm going to try to exhaust every option.

I do not think it is a game either and am not siding with FCA. Just stating the reality that until it goes nuclear and you or others leap frog the dealership cycle with some other type of legal action, they are going to treat repeated attempts of warranty complaints as a nuisance issue and push back like I mentioned before.

If FCA pushes back to the dealerships to not pay them for repeated warranty claim, then the dealerships can and will refuse to even write you up if you continue to visit. The dealership can in extreme cases get a trespass warrant issued against you if needed and the local yokel LEO's will tell you to take to court as a civil issue.

Then you have to decide to either drop it all together, pursue it through civil legal action or be the crazy guy with a sandwich board sign in the back of your truck parked outside the dealership on public property protesting how you got screwed.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do not think it is a game either and am not siding with FCA. Just stating the reality that until it goes nuclear and you or others leap frog the dealership cycle with some other type of legal action, they are going to treat repeated attempts of warranty complaints as a nuisance issue and push back like I mentioned before.

If FCA pushes back to the dealerships to not pay them for repeated warranty claim, then the dealerships can and will refuse to even write you up if you continue to visit. The dealership can in extreme cases get a trespass warrant issued against you if needed and the local yokel LEO's will tell you to take to court as a civil issue.

Then you have to decide to either drop it all together, pursue it through civil legal action or be the crazy guy with a sandwich board sign in the back of your truck parked outside the dealership on public property protesting how you got screwed.

i dont see that happening. not with something as serious a brake issue.

besides, after a number of documents visits to the dealer for the same issue with no resolution, you can start the proceedings for a lemon. i would read up on the local lemon laws for your area. im not saying you need to go that route but it helps to have a good grasp on it and attitudes usually start to change on the dealers end once that possibility starts floating around.

i would probably start by opening up a case with chrysler, if you havent done so already. chasing the dealer to try and fix the truck is a tiresome task. let the chrysler reps do that for you. not to mention that if enough people open up cases for the same issue, it might start to raise flags at FCA. thats probably your best bet for getting it fixed.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well....same ole 7 volts after wiring harness replaced. Time to make a call

OP
OP
K

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yup im calling and getting a case number and ask if someone can contact me directly. Lol

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

You have to walk this path with Chrysler to move the issue ahead. First you get a failed repair visit, then you go to another dealer for yet another failed repair. Now you call Chrysler and get assigned a customer care rep who asks you to go to another dealer for a repair attempt.

Along the repair attempts, some one at STAR will note that the ITBM is operating as designed, now your rep tells you there is nothing more they can do to help you since it is working as designed. You fire back with the proof and they tell you they are not technical and can not help.

Been there and done this on another issue, different vehicle. It its all about building a paper trail.

Well....same ole 7 volts after wiring harness replaced. Time to make a call

If it was that simple, folks (like me) that added an aftermarket controller would have exposed a wiring issue.

Going camping this weekend but when I get back next week, I found another dealer that has a trailer and a tech that has experience. I want to see where this goes.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know .....but im just going along for the ride which unfortunately has to be done. I wasnt expecting any different. What do u mean by a dealer that has a trailer?

If it was that simple, folks (like me) that added an aftermarket controller would have exposed a wiring issue.

Going camping this weekend but when I get back next week, I found another dealer that has a trailer and a tech that has experience. I want to see where this goes.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know .....but im just going along for the ride which unfortunately has to be done. I wasnt expecting any different. What do u mean by a dealer that has a trailer?

Getting them to replace wiring is a mile stone, it shows they acknowledge there is a problem.

The dealer has a twin axle enclosed trailer they use for show-n-tells at local street fairs. The dealers I've been to do not have the room for me to bring my trailer. I've offered every time.

EvilGTO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey gents I have a media organization considering our story . an automotive journalist group said they would like to see this issue to report it. However they are based in Denver and need a truck exhibiting this behavior. Anyone in the area

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eastern MT here...

Somebody from CO must be reading this...

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok somebody want to go to the home page on the forum and scroll to the bottom where all the member names are and click one at a time. We'll get em! Any volunteers? :)

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey gents I have a media organization considering our story . an automotive journalist group said they would like to see this issue to report it. However they are based in Denver and need a truck exhibiting this behavior. Anyone in the area

Detroit is the automotive mecca-center. If they have offices here, I can give them everything they need right down to the unarguable proof.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I am still trying to get the explanation from ram from the service manager at my dealership about the brake controller operation. He explained it to me over the phone and I asked him to email it to me and he said he would. I have yet to see it and have left a few voice mails with him about the email. I will continue to pester him until he makes good on the email.

Nathan