Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is actually who I contacted, and they are currently looking into it.

They really wanted a local truck experiencing the issue but we havent been able to produce one.

I don't want to cast negativity but, I've seen many of TFLtruck's videos and they have the competency to make a simple brake line voltage measurement. They should be able to find MY15, MY16, and earlier models with ITBMs at most dealerships. This isn't an issue that appears on some, it is all MY15 production.

You don't need to pull a trailer to experience the issue, this is dangerous, simply connect the trailer to the TV and manually apply the trailer brakes while measuring the brake line voltage. Compare the voltage readings from MY15 to MY14 or MY13 for example, the the results are blatantly obvious.

Chart1_zpsmw4vfceb.jpg

Yep, it is this obvious. If they were interested in looking at this issue, they could pull it off in an afternoon. I wonder why they haven't.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't want to cast negativity but, I've seen many of TFLtruck's videos and they have the competency to make a simple brake line voltage measurement. They should be able to find MY15, MY16, and earlier models with ITBMs at most dealerships. This isn't an issue that appears on some, it is all MY15 production.

You don't need to pull a trailer to experience the issue, this is dangerous, simply connect the trailer to the TV and manually apply the trailer brakes while measuring the brake line voltage. Compare the voltage readings from MY15 to MY14 or MY13 for example, the the results are blatantly obvious.

Chart1_zpsmw4vfceb.jpg

Yep, it is this obvious. If they were interested in looking at this issue, they could pull it off in an afternoon. I wonder why they haven't.
Honestly I don't think these measurements will do anything to help you guys. Ram has brushed it off all along. You need to hook up an identical trailer to a 2014 and a 2015 and measure the stopping distance in a panic stop. You then have a real world test as to how the 2 work. If you just sit and measure it they are going to say the truck's accelerometer didn't see enough force to give it the proper voltage or some other BS. But if you have a publication come out and say the 2015 trucks pulling the same trailer take 20 feet longer to stop you might get somewhere.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
sweeeet! Any hope is good. I really cant believe they would risk peoples lives/lawsuits over a $200 part. I know it would cost them much more to do a recall/fix the problem. But, you figure, the negative publicity (if/when it reaches that) , paying out on a major lawsuit, etc. has to be much worse. Im thinking it has to happen eventually cause there are several people that dont go on forums/ know about the issue. My concern is not getting the $200 back for the part, its for someones's life! The reason people buy these trucks is to tow/stop trailers. Out of all the truck sales , how many have this controller? When is the next panic stop going to take place with that poor guy that doesnt know about the problem? That is the question. Its just a matter of time

This is actually who I contacted, and they are currently looking into it.

They really wanted a local truck experiencing the issue but we havent been able to produce one..

I have considered just driving my truck up there over a weekend and showing them myself.

I also linked them this thread in my email to them, and we sent back and forth a number of emails.

I will let you guys know if anything comes of it.

Last edited:

Browny10783

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So would this apply to my 2012 2500 with brake controller. I want to test mine what voltage should I look for

EvilGTO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Chart1_zpsmw4vfceb.jpg

What does any of that have to do with the fact they requested a local truck to them to test? I dont think they would be asking for that for that very reason if they werent interested in covering the story.

I know you are as frustrated as the rest of us but we should give them a chance not to mention it does take some time to run a story even after they have outputs that match what we are seeing they will have to give RAM an opportunity to respond its just good journalism. and If ram blows them off then we have something.

I am taking a different route. I am actually lemon lawing my truck (well considering it any way). I am going to take it to 2 more different shops this month to get the same "its fine" statement and then file the suit with a local lawer who I know and have worked with in the past. We will see what happens.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Honestly I don't think these measurements will do anything to help you guys. Ram has brushed it off all along. You need to hook up an identical trailer to a 2014 and a 2015 and measure the stopping distance in a panic stop. You then have a real world test as to how the 2 work. If you just sit and measure it they are going to say the truck's accelerometer didn't see enough force to give it the proper voltage or some other BS. But if you have a publication come out and say the 2015 trucks pulling the same trailer take 20 feet longer to stop you might get somewhere.

It doesn't matter, the manual brake slide over-rides. I've taken the same voltage readings pulling my trailer, there isn't a difference in the readings whether I'm slamming the brakes on at 50 MPH or sitting in my backyard still, sliding the manual lever, trailer connected or using an inductor/load to simulate a trailer.

If someone put the effort in to doing a trailer stopping test, Chrysler would still blow it off saying the conditions were this or that. It is much easier to control the test environment when as many variables are removed.

Chrysler as a company is unwinding. They have a server attrition issue, they lost most of their talent when that darn plywood sales guy was in charge. My son left their, and I know three other friends that left in recent history. They can not attract talent and Ford benefits the most from Chrysler's attrition.

When they told me my ITBM works correctly because it turned a blower motor, and I have that in writing on the work order, I knew this issue would not get attention. I wondered why but now I know, there is no one there that can address the issue.

wo_zpszosmxhbc.jpg

and they blame my trailer. I tried showing this to them but they didn't want to see it. They told me they followed STAR and there is nothing more they can do.
GRV_zpso5egfgic.jpg

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am taking a different route. I am actually lemon lawing my truck (well considering it any way). I am going to take it to 2 more different shops this month to get the same "its fine" statement and then file the suit with a local lawer who I know and have worked with in the past. We will see what happens.

This may work, buy-backs get attention high up in the corporate structure.

EvilGTO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This may work, buy-backs get attention high up in the corporate structure.

exactly,

Honestly if this doesnt start getting some attention we should all consider it.

You can just get a cash pay out and it wont even show on your Title or anything, only thing that shows on the Title is a buyback.

either way it will get a LOT of attention especially if they start seeing more than a handful of them.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
How many trucks would have to present an actual problem until Ram owns up. I think someone said it right earlier when they would need to have a credible source do the test and report to Ram. If it's not tfltruck or Mr. Truck. Maybe motor trend testing? Even though Boss' testing looks good and credible Ram is not going to lay down and say he's right without more and more complaints. The problem is the numbers aren't there yet. Ford just recalled 250k F150 with faulty brake parts that when they failed made for a dangerous situation. I wonder how many had to fail before they did the recall? All I know is its going to be a looong process. Boss you should get that truck out of winter storage and keep beating down doors. Otherwise you may not have a truck to tow next summer while ram scratches there head on it.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I found someone that gave me the scope on why the brake controller behaves the way it does albeit I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. The brake controller was designed not to exceed more than (around) 74% output at speeds below 30 MPG, the slider will not over ride this rule. Your light bulb just lit-up didn't it and the magic question is, how in the heck are you suppose to set the gain if the slide can't force 100% brake output? Well, I guess Chrysler didn't think that through.

They were attempting to control what was told to me as chucking when the gain isn't set properly. Obvious they never tested this design pulling anything with any amount of considerable weight.

The bad news is they are not going to change this until MY19.

I need to rerun some testing to see if I can get 100% output at speeds over 30 MPH which I doubt since I was rolling along at 50 MPH when I tried to make the hard stop and couldn't. I won't be doing this until spring, the truck is enjoying winter storage at this time. I think I will try one of the RAMs at work and see how it behaves.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
i just picked up a new 2015 3500 a month ago and towed a 13,000 lb fifth wheel home last week. I also noticed that the trailer had very poor braking on the way home. Gain is set at 10 with heavy trailer. Slider would barely slow down the trailer.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i just picked up a new 2015 3500 a month ago and towed a 13,000 lb fifth wheel home last week. I also noticed that the trailer had very poor braking on the way home. Gain is set at 10 with heavy trailer. Slider would barely slow down the trailer.

Have you tried light electric? I have more output on light than heavy.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had mine on light electric before with my trailer which is around 13k. Still won't stop it like it should. As far as it stopping faster, I didn't notice

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About 9000 empty. But when I test with the slider I have almost 2v more with light electric.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I found someone that gave me the scope on why the brake controller behaves the way it does albeit I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. The brake controller was designed not to exceed more than (around) 74% output at speeds below 30 MPG, the slider will not over ride this rule. Your light bulb just lit-up didn't it and the magic question is, how in the heck are you suppose to set the gain if the slide can't force 100% brake output? Well, I guess Chrysler didn't think that through.

They were attempting to control what was told to me as chucking when the gain isn't set properly. Obvious they never tested this design pulling anything with any amount of considerable weight.

The bad news is they are not going to change this until MY19.

I need to rerun some testing to see if I can get 100% output at speeds over 30 MPH which I doubt since I was rolling along at 50 MPH when I tried to make the hard stop and couldn't. I won't be doing this until spring, the truck is enjoying winter storage at this time. I think I will try one of the RAMs at work and see how it behaves.

Hmmm. Well that explains it I guess. It is strange that they would limit it and the slider thing is odd too. But I guess it keeps it from locking up brakes if you push it to hard accidentally. It seems they are trying to take the driver element out of the equation. Oh well guess I will install my prodigy and call it a day.