Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Towing & Hauling

Towing & Hauling

Brake Controller

This is a discussion on Brake Controller within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Originally Posted by BossHogg The ITBM is the same for all RAMs. I have the issue with SRW. If the ...

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
The ITBM is the same for all RAMs. I have the issue with SRW.
If the module's the same in all the trucks how come my 1500 set to 7.5 heavy eletric will lock my trailer's wheels at 5 mph while you get shoved into cross traffic? Sounds like some shady shit going on in the bits and bytes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 6.7L Cummins
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
Look at the bright side, you weren't on 59!
Amen!

Originally Posted by PippinAin'tEasy View Post
If the module's the same in all the trucks how come my 1500 set to 7.5 heavy eletric will lock my trailer's wheels at 5 mph while you get shoved into cross traffic? Sounds like some shady shit going on in the bits and bytes.

That is the question I'm trying to get answered, my 3500 is at the dealer now, should have it back with answers Monday.

I don't know if it is a faulty ITBM or a software calibration issues. I don't even know if all 2015s have the issue but I know I'm not the only one with this issue.

My biggest concern is they are going to tell me nothing is wrong and it is working as designed, the default babble when they don't know how to diagnose an issue.

I posted scope shots of the trailer brake line (in the cummins forum thread), one with a working ITBM and my 2015 tow vehicle, the scope shots clearly show my 2015 is only outputting 63% power to the trailer brakes.

Brake slider all the way pushed (100%), 100% output from ITBM 12.6 amps measured on the trailer brake wire.

Brake slider all the way pushed (100%), 63% output from ITBM 6.1 amps measured on the trailer brake wire.

Last edited by BossHogg; 08-08-2015 at 02:44 PM.
BossHogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Read down the thread over there and a few other places as well. This, unfortunately, appears to be a not-so-isolated incident. Hope you get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the great info.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine: 6.7 cummins diesel
Hello Guys,

When I purchased my 12 2500 it was my first vehicle ever with factory brake controller. I did not think it was as adjustable(tunable to my load) as my 10 year old tenosha that I moved between 4 different trucks I had. The price for the factory controller is not worth the money they charge for it in my opinion.

When I traded that 2500 for my 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee ECO Diesel, I purchased the Jeep with the tow package and was both surprised and pissed off for the price I had to pay for the tow package and it did not have factory brake controller.

I purchased a prodigy p3 controller and installed it in the Jeep and man I am so glad I did not have the factory controller!!!

Your problem seem to be compaitability problem,electrical and programming.

The P3 is the best controller I have ever used!!
It is easily adjustable and tunable for trailer size and weight and it stores the settings for that trailer size, then when you switch trailer your settings are still there.
I have 2 trailers I tow 10k 7'6"x16' dual brake axles, and 3k 5x8 single brakes,with the push of 1 button I can select my trailers setups and quickly tune for current load.

If I was in your shoes to prove the point and save yourself some aggrivation with stealership and RAMS shitting trouble shooting abilities I would buy a brake controller and make it so you could quickly plug it in to show aholes at dealership who have no idea about towing and controllers the problems is definitely the factory controller and associated interconnections and programming.

Then I would make them pay for the controller you purchased and some money for your time and be happy with P3 and tell them to stick the factory controller where the sun don't shine!!

Dealing with RAM was not a good experience for me, thank goodness I have good dealer.

I got rid of my 2500 because nothing but problems with O2 sensors and dpf all other EPA shit on the Diesel choking it. I purchased this truck because it was last year before DEF fluid. My truck in the shop 38 days in 12 months before I got out of it and into my Jeep ECO!

My jeep has not seen the shop since new 2yrs old and tows same loads I pulled with 2500 and gets better mileage!!

Good luck getting this problem sorted but I would not hold my breathe its an easy fix without several trips to the dealer and aggravation and stress.

Just my opinion and I am sure yours will vary! haha

Due to economic hard times the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!!!!!

Last edited by dsent; 08-09-2015 at 11:10 AM.
dsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015 3500
Engine: 6.7 Cummins
Just like pippin said my 14, 1500 brake mod worked fine would lock wheels also, i know its not the trailer brakes i pulled the emergency plug out and the brakes were locked, my new question is how do i get to the wiring on the controller i have the center console.
Kwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 6.4
Originally Posted by Kwhite View Post
Just like pippin said my 14, 1500 brake mod worked fine would lock wheels also, i know its not the trailer brakes i pulled the emergency plug out and the brakes were locked, my new question is how do i get to the wiring on the controller i have the center console.
You have to pull the center bezel for the radio to get to the harness that plugs into the back of it. Look it up on youtube, it is just two torqx bolts on the top and then it just pulls out. Make sure to catch all of the white clips that inevitably fall too.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ok thank you
Old 08-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ok i plugged in the camper to rear plug and did voltage test on fifth wheel plug in bed, with trailer brake at 100% and gain at 10 i got 9.15volts on light electric and 7.17 on heavy electric, lower voltage on heavy setting!
Old 08-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Kwhite View Post
Ok i plugged in the camper to rear plug and did voltage test on fifth wheel plug in bed, with trailer brake at 100% and gain at 10 i got 9.15volts on light electric and 7.17 on heavy electric, lower voltage on heavy setting!
Getting a little pissed at how common that story is. Feeling for you guys, can't imagine the frustration.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine: 6.4L w/ 4:10
Good timing seeing this thread.....I also find that my trailer brakes are not working as well as they should, has me now wondering if it is an issue with the factory controller.
Will check the voltage I guess shortly and go from there.
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote