Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Before I go, I am waiting to see peoples feedback on here, rather not waste my time if there is no support from the manufacture for the dealer.

The controller works, just not as good as it should.

OP
OP
K

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes it works barely, i feel it would not be safe towing and cause premature brake wear on the truck for sure, just the short trip around town i made my truck brakes were overheated

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Your driving down the road pulling your 13,000 pound trailer and you come to an intersection. As you get close the traffic light turns yellow and you think, should I run it or stop. You decide to stop and you have to push hard on the brakes to make the stop. You begin to realize you are not going to stop in time and you are now standing on the brakes as the 13,000 pounds you are towing pushes you into the intersection. You look to your left for oncoming traffic and you see the massive chrome grill of a semi truck approaching fast, then bam, you see the white light.

The police do a forensics on your tow vehicle and discover your brake controller could only output 63% brake signal, they list the cause of the fatal accident as a trailer brake controller that work, just not as good as it should.

This is what happened to me but the intersection was clear and I'm alive to warn others and to try to get Chrysler's attention to this issue. I wish you would help, get to your dealer and have them push Chrysler.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Dealer update.

Got my truck back this morning, dealer said the ITBM is working fine. The repair order read like this; "Hooked up blower motor inline with trailer connector & tested per STAR case 953748. Everything is working properly. Customer needs to have trailer brakes checked for proper feed and ground."

I didn't really expect a fix but I did expect an investigation by Chrysler to root cause the issue. Next is to contact Chrysler and see if I can get attention to this issue.

And before anyone asks, the RV is brand new, dealer checked the brakes before I left the lot, in addition, the break-away switch will lock up the wheels. I know it isn't the trailer.

Anyone else with this issue that is going in to the dealer, please feel free to have your dealer reference the STAR case number, it just might help get Chrysler's attention.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Honestly I wish you didn't have a fifth wheel because I say pick a day and you could hook my truck to it to see if it is any better and if it was take two trucks side by side with one working and one not working they can't possibly deny you have a problem.

OP
OP
K

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dealer update.

Got my truck back this morning, dealer said the ITBM is working fine. The repair order read like this; "Hooked up blower motor inline with trailer connector & tested per STAR case 953748. Everything is working properly. Customer needs to have trailer brakes checked for proper feed and ground."

I didn't really expect a fix but I did expect an investigation by Chrysler to root cause the issue. Next is to contact Chrysler and see if I can get attention to this issue.

And before anyone asks, the RV is brand new, dealer checked the brakes before I left the lot, in addition, the break-away switch will lock up the wheels. I know it isn't the trailer.

Anyone else with this issue that is going in to the dealer, please feel free to have your dealer reference the STAR case number, it just might help get Chrysler's attention.
That sucks I'm afraid when I go Friday I'll get the same result. I did do some research and found the part number for my old 2014 ram 1500 brake controller mod is different from my 2015 ram 3500 brake module

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Before I go, I am waiting to see peoples feedback on here, rather not waste my time if there is no support from the manufacture for the dealer.

Your driving down the road pulling your 13,000 pound trailer and you come to an intersection. As you get close the traffic light turns yellow and you think, should I run it or stop. You decide to stop and you have to push hard on the brakes to make the stop. You begin to realize you are not going to stop in time and you are now standing on the brakes as the 13,000 pounds you are towing pushes you into the intersection. You look to your left for oncoming traffic and you see the massive chrome grill of a semi truck approaching fast, then bam, you see the white light.

The police do a forensics on your tow vehicle and discover your brake controller could only output 63% brake signal, they list the cause of the fatal accident as a trailer brake controller that work, just not as good as it should.

This is what happened to me but the intersection was clear and I'm alive to warn others and to try to get Chrysler's attention to this issue. I wish you would help, get to your dealer and have them push Chrysler.

Well, glad your story had a happy ending.
I suppose now that you know of your issue you will not risk towing anything without a properly working brake controller.

As much as I would love to spend time and money fighting with dealers, I likely will not, as noted in the above post, it is too easy for the dealer & manufacture to point the finger at the other half of the equation, your trailer brakes. Sad to say about a new truck that cost what it does, but a reality.

Let the issue build some steam and see where it goes. I hope a bulletin get released that addresses the issue, otherwise I guess using an aftermarket controller is the fix in the mean time.

My controller works, does it work as good at it should, I do not think so, reading others post the same thing, eliminates my doubt if it is just me or the controller as I suspect it is.

When I am in the dealer the next time for a service, I will bring this up as an issue so it is logged, but I will not hold my breath about having a resolution.

Safe travels!

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this the P3 controller mentioned previously?

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90195.html

(I have the OEM controller, but I've never used it or pulled anything recently that needed one,,,,)

Yes it is. I've had it installed in my old truck (and now sitting on my shelf--I have a integrated one, haven't used it yet). But the P3 was smooth as silk and worked flawlessly.

If you are going to buy aftermarket, I highly suggest that one and a vehicle specific harness. It's literally plug and play.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Honestly I wish you didn't have a fifth wheel because I say pick a day and you could hook my truck to it to see if it is any better and if it was take two trucks side by side with one working and one not working they can't possibly deny you have a problem.

Thanks for that.

I did offer to bring my 2013 RAM, my fiver, and/or my 18 foot flatbed trailer, and/or my trailer brake simulator and demonstrate the issue, the dealer declined. The issue isn't proving the problem, it is finding someone that will listen and in a position to take action.

I did characterize (yesterday) both my 2013 and 2015 RAM ITBM along with a factory brake controller in a 2007 Chevy 2500, and a Prodigy P2. The results show exactly what is wrong, the scaling is incorrect on the 2015. As the percentage of brake input is increased so should the percentage of brake output, for example, on the 2013, 50% input using the slider equals a brake signal of 49%. The Chevy and the P2 track the same way. The 2015 does not, 50% input only yields 32% output. Almost sounds like an error in calibration or conversion of engineering units.

I would suspect this is an issue on all ITBMs, at lease since they last changed it. The level of trailer braking is now dependent on what amount of voltage and current is required by your trailer's brakes.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. The issue with the 2015 ITBM is it does not scale the brake input with the brake output, keeps the output linear but on the low side, as the brake input increases, the scaling factor decreases. Calibration? Maybe an error converting to engineering units, I don't know.

Your trailer stopping experience will be based on the amount of power the trailer brakes need. If they need more than 7 volts, you are out of luck.

I didn't fully characterize the Chevy or the P2 since they both use voltage, getting late and didn't feel like doing all the math. Doesn't matter, as you can see, they both fall in line with the brake input request and the output of the RAM 1500.

Any suggestions on how to get RAM's ear, likely an easy fix if you can bring the issue to the right person.

Chart1_zpsmw4vfceb.jpg

Last edited:

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
I've been watching this thread because my ITBM will be installed in my 2015 Ram 1500 next week. This last graph looks positive for the 1500's. Thank you for sharing and correct me if I'm wrong.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've been watching this thread because my ITBM will be installed in my 2015 Ram 1500 next week. This last graph looks positive for the 1500's. Thank you for sharing and correct me if I'm wrong.

I need to make clear on the chart the RAM 1500 is a model year 2013, and the 3500 is a model year 15. It looks as if Chrysler changed the ITBM to a new part for MY15, the same ITBM is used in all RAMs.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Hello Guys,

Sorry to hear that a couple of you have spent your valuable time to troubleshoot this problem on your own.

As I have mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, Ram and their so called MFG Engineering REPS troubleshooting and diagnosis for problems SUCKS!!!

This unfortunately seems to be coming the norm for all MFGS, that they just don't care or give a **** after your purchase of their problematic products.

Since a couple of star cases have been reported for this issue with no help insight.

You must follow lemon laws if no help from MFG, threw their ****** process which waste more of your personal time( = money) to get them to do the right thing.

I have in the past called local TV stations and make their consumer trouble shooting reporter aware of a LIFE THREATENING CONDITION EXIST that the mfg is doing nothing to resolve these known problems that numerous people have reported.

Contact BBB and make a claim.

Call your states attorney general to make them aware of this LIFE THREATENING CONDITION EXIST and the MFG is not trying to fix it.

Call national transportation safety board and report it, LIFE THREATENING CONDITION EXIST and the MFG is not trying to fix it.

OR

Just buy a P3 and tell RAM to RAM their factory brake controller,get reimbursed for factory controller and your life returns to normal with no more stress dealing with incompetents or the problem.

You will be safe towing with out the factory controller or white knuckles thinking what if every time you tow,NOT WORTH IT!!!

Yes I know it sucks, you want what you paid for and all that crap but as one person who tried to get 2 MFG's to do the right thing,YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME AND YOUR LIFE is to short to start with.

But just a thought,are all the lights on new trucks LEDS?? IF so their may simply not enough amps available for the tow circuit since LEDS require less amps to "LIGHT". RAM could have lowered the amps on the buss and they are simply not enough amps for the brake controller to properly operate the amp draw when heavy braking is require.

Has anyone with this problem tried running power wire from battery to factory brake controller?

I am glad to have a great dealer, who cares about its customers after the sale!

Good Luck Guys

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
But just a thought,are all the lights on new trucks LEDS?? IF so their may simply not enough amps available for the tow circuit since LEDS require less amps to "LIGHT". RAM could have lowered the amps on the buss and they are simply not enough amps for the brake controller to properly operate the amp draw when heavy braking is require.

The trailer lighting is supplied through relays from the under-hood power distribution box. The ITBM gets it power directly from the same point and protected by a fuse.

buss = to kiss :)

I've already file a notice with the NTSB and have a Chrysler STAR case which I am acting on. There is no fast fix, I just have to follow the process. If you go to in half-cocked, spewing lemon-law talk, and of notifying government offices, you will simply meet a greater wall of resistance and be labeled like the other thousand of people each month and no one is going to hear me.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The trailer lighting is supplied through relays from the under-hood power distribution box. The ITBM gets it power directly from the same point and protected by a fuse.

buss = to kiss :)

I've already file a notice with the NTSB and have a Chrysler STAR case which I am acting on. There is no fast fix, I just have to follow the process. If you go to in half-cocked, spewing lemon-law talk, and of notifying government offices, you will simply meet a greater wall of resistance and be labeled like the other thousand of people each month and no one is going to hear me.
That is funny because the case manager I dealt with when the dealers could not adjust the tpms thresholds told me to file a complaint with the nhtsa.

OP
OP
K

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So will a produgy p3 plug right in a 2015 3500 and work fine? Im heading to the dealer in a few min

OP
OP
K

Kwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Update, just left dealer, they said brake controller mod is bad and new one has been ordered, so we will see... Next appointment is next friday

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That is funny because the case manager I dealt with when the dealers could not adjust the tpms thresholds told me to file a complaint with the nhtsa.

and what did that get you?

So will a produgy p3 plug right in a 2015 3500 and work fine? Im heading to the dealer in a few min

You will need the Prodigy cable 3024-P which allows you to plug into the factory brake controller harness and the Prodigy P2 or P3 brake controller. I have not done this yet, will this weekend, but I understand once you disconnect the ITBM you will set DTCs and cause the check engine light to come on. I don't know if this condition will cause side-effects.

You could ask your dealer to reconfigure your truck without the ITBM but I'm sure their hand will go out.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
The root problem is Chrylser doesn't publish diagnostics or have STAR line support for the dealers for many sub-systems. The last update I got from Southfield was they were trying to find descriptions of how the ITBM was designed to work. At least Southfiled is trying to find a solution. They were truly concern when I told them I couldn't stop for a fast changing traffic light.

If this doesn't end soon, Chrysler will be looking at a buy-back. Michigan lemon law is 30 days in service with in the first year, I'm already half way there with no solution is sight.

Really a buy back for a brake controller I do not think that will happen, not with out much aggravation of time spent trying to get that to happen jumping threw all the hoops and BS required. Not to mention your truck not able to tow your trailer while you are fighting with RAM!

Is the reason I posted,suggested ways to bring attention to the problem,JUST AS YOU BOSSHOGG ASKED!!

This should be reported to all agencies I posted if you are truly concerned about your safety and others on the highway which you are responsible for when you tow anything and the load you maybe carrying!

NOW BACK TO THE PROBLEM

BOSSHOGG

If you say it comes from relay module on the main electrical distribution Circuit= BUS OR BUSS.

Then why not eliminate all the circuitry out of the problem and try running a fused power wire directly to factory brake controller and see if problem is FIXED???

AS I mentioned there may not simply be enough amps threw all the interconnections of the power distribution relay module to give FULL amps to the controller.

I mostly deal with German Electrical power since my company services several brands of metal working machinery,lathes,milling machines,surface and cylindrical grinders. We also design and build custom automation systems and robotic systems. I am capable of component level repair of circuit board repairs with associates degree in electronics.

Frankly BOSSHOGG I do not care if you ever get your problem sorted, as I no longer have a RAM with inferior factory brake controller. You criticize people for trying to help

I was just offering some help and insight. Since I have tried to battle 2 different auto companies to do the right thing you will not win, much time and aggravation to deal with them.

Now that you made me aware of this problem I will just make sure I stay away from RAM's pulling trailers and 5ers when I am driving especially at intersections!!