Brake controller adjustment.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
According to the dvd owners manual when adjusting the controller go to wheel lock up then back off, also states it may not lock up the tires. I cannot lock up the brakes on my TH, its adjusted all the way to 10.
It dosen't feel like its pushing the truck uncontrollably, and when manually operated you can definately feel the trailer braking, but I don't know if I am getting all the stopping power I can get.
Should I look into a aftermarket controller? or is this the norm?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats how mine is as well; I tried it while coasting and it definitely stopped hard but never locked up the tires at 9.5. I figure its good, felt fine when towing.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Could be your trailer brakes just aren't any more powerful. Can you lock them up when the trailer is empty?

I am personally in the market for an aftermarket controller as the OEM controller has such crappy adjustability.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe you need to adjust the trailer brakes ?

DHDB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check the power to each brake. Make sure all the brakes are working. When was the last time the brakes were checked/replaced? if you decide to go with another brake controller, i would recomend the Prodigy P3.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brand new truck, brand new factory controller, brand new (2013) trailer?
Sounds more like the factory controller doesn't put out as much voltage, if anything.
When I applied the trailer brakes manually while coasting, it pulled hard. I am satisfied with that; the trailer brakes aren't meant to also stop a 5400+lb truck on a dime.
If the factory controller was a knee-knocker I'd consider replacing it if thats what enough people said fixed the "problem".
Will keep an eye on this thread; you never know...

OP
OP
Rotzilla

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Brand new trailer, wouldn't think I would need to adjust anything.
I have to take it to the stealership (camper) next week, will mention it to them and see what they say. When ram says it may not lock up I'm thinking thats what we are stuck with.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brand new trailer, wouldn't think I would need to adjust anything.
I have to take it to the stealership (camper) next week, will mention it to them and see what they say. When ram says it may not lock up I'm thinking thats what we are stuck with.

Part of the adjustment is getting it NEAR lock up, right? So if it pulls hard to a stop, isn't that just right?

OP
OP
Rotzilla

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Owner manual says adjust it until it locks up then back off until it dosent lock up anymore. So as close as possible without locking up.

mrpiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In the EVIC, you have the option to change the power setting on the break controller on the 2012 from light electric to heavy electric. I tow about 7,000 lbs. regularly with a 650lb. tongue weight and a WDH. On "light electric" mode i do not have enough power. On "heavy electric" setting, I only need to set the brake controller on 5 to lock up the trailer brakes.

Have you checked this?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the EVIC, you have the option to change the power setting on the break controller on the 2012 from light electric to heavy electric. I tow about 7,000 lbs. regularly with a 650lb. tongue weight and a WDH. On "light electric" mode i do not have enough power. On "heavy electric" setting, I only need to set the brake controller on 5 to lock up the trailer brakes.

Have you checked this?

Thanks; I'm not sure that's what light/heavy electric choice is for, but will give it a shot.

mrpiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes, that's exactly what light vs. heavy electric is for. It gives greater power for each point on the power scale of the brake control setting in "heavy electric" mode. You can look at the DVD version of your owner's manual and type heavy electric or brake controller into the search engine and it will give you a lot of information. I hope this is helpful. That DVD and the search feature is an amazing source of information where i have learned a lot that I couldn't find in the manual or on forums.

If you put your truck in "heavy electric" mode and tow 7K lbs. and can't lock up the tires, you have an issue with the controller or the trailer brakes. Somehow not enough juice is getting to the end of the line.

Post when you can and let us know if this helps, and if not, let us know what the final solution is.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, that's exactly what light vs. heavy electric is for. It gives greater power for each point on the power scale of the brake control setting in "heavy electric" mode. You can look at the DVD version of your owner's manual and type heavy electric or brake controller into the search engine and it will give you a lot of information. I hope this is helpful. That DVD and the search feature is an amazing source of information where i have learned a lot that I couldn't find in the manual or on forums.

If you put your truck in "heavy electric" mode and tow 7K lbs. and can't lock up the tires, you have an issue with the controller or the trailer brakes. Somehow not enough juice is getting to the end of the line.

Post when you can and let us know if this helps, and if not, let us know what the final solution is.

(De Niro voice) You talkin' to ME? lol
We'll be lucky to tow before June. Would be happy t report back but I'm sure there are a dozen guys who could let us know before we're ready haha