Brake controller problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aceman21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2012 1500 with a factory controller and I keep getting these warnings popping up d8798ad3d8a2c361297616408b4f893d.jpg712769c81d490b72ba3fa3936213cb9d.jpg
It seems to happen quite often, while driving or just sitting there. How do I go about fixing this ?

Squidbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I had to hazard a guess,I would say it is a bad connection or short. If your getting this warning with a trailer connected, then it's most likely the trailers' wiring. I've had that happen a couple times and they were all shorts in the trailers wires.
If you didn't have anything connected..... Then, I would connect a trailer, turn on truck and test connection & brakes, if all tests out ok, turn off truck before disconnecting wiring.
I've had errors pop up on occasion when I connected/disconnected a trailer with the truck on and running.

OP
OP
Aceman21

Aceman21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've never had a trailer hooked up to the truck before and I don't have access to a trailer to test it.

OP
OP
Aceman21

Aceman21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What can I do to try an correct this ?

IdahoLonghorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm not sure if this is still an issue for you. I've got a 2014 3500 and had a similar problem. I just replaced the plug on a horse trailer. After getting it rewired all the trailer functions worked flawlessly when using my MUTT Ranger testing box. When I hooked the trailer up to my truck all the lights worked but it either didn't recognize the trailer (light electric system) was connected or it warned "check trailer wiring." All I did to fix it was throw some dielectric gel in each slot of the trailer plug and the connection was restored.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Either there is a short or bad connect in the wiring or the brake module is bad.

-5 Holy crap!!!
Its displayed in Celsius, that is 23°F

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Either there is a short or bad connect in the wiring or the brake module is bad.

Its displayed in Celsius, that is 23°F

Yes, I know C to F. I live in F and all my work is in C - I live in the south and 23 and or -5 is cold as all get out. Was just an observation that it is below FREEZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which is way to damn cold!

OP
OP
Aceman21

Aceman21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yes, I know C to F. I live in F and all my work is in C - I live in the south and 23 and or -5 is cold as all get out. Was just an observation that it is below FREEZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which is way to damn cold!

-5 isn't that bad lol some days it gets to -30 plus the wind chill

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
-5 isn't that bad lol some days it gets to -30 plus the wind chill

Not lately but I have had to work in the environmental chambers at -40 (for those keeping count -40 is C and F) and that is crazy cold.

My blood stops at about 55F (~12ish C)

Sorry for the thread hijack...

Check to make sure nothing is stuck between any contacts on the plug, even water, especially at -5