brake rotors and pads for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamRacer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So i dont get as much time these days to search threads and research products as i would like, I know i need new pads and rotors as my 2010 hemi is still on original brakes and im at 120,000 miles. I scared the **** out of myself the last time i was towing my trailer and i was coming down a pass and the feedback in the pedal was not very confidence inspiring .
I had looked into EBC black rotos and pads but im seeing alot of options on moes performance with sp performance rotors..
Has anyone tried any of these for towing?

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Performance or heavy duty pads and rotors aren't necessary for towing if properly loaded, have a brake controller, and trailer brakes. Factory brakes or equivalent replacement would work just fine.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I did some looking around to see if there was something better than factory for brake pads and rotors. The moral was don't fix what isn't broke and simply stay with factory pads and rotors.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if your due for new brakes (120k on OEM i would assume so), stick with a quality OEM replacement blank/vented rotor and semi-metallic pad for towing. thats your best bet.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I tend to agree with the others here - 120K is about as good as it gets and there is really nowhere to go but down with something else. One of the biggest improvements on a 2500 over the 1500 is the brakes. My 06 Silverado still had the original pads when I sold it with 150K miles. I wasn't sure if that was just a Chevy thing or not but it's sounding like the Ram is similar. I just had my tired rotated and @ 45K my pads still look nearly new.

As far as towing, worn pads could give poor response. As the other poster said be sure you have a good trailer brake (and the trailer brakes are working). Also, make sure your expectations are realistic. Stopping distance and overall brake performance while towing are significantly different with a trailer. I talked to a big trucker once and he said coming down mountain passes you really don't have brakes in the traditional sense.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are you towing that's giving you the downhill *****?

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
EBC are good but they dust A LOT

No idea on the stuff that Moe's sells but he always has good products

I upgraded to the Power Stop extreme tow pads/rotors about 30k-40k miles ago and they are fantastic. They will stop my truck and trailer on a dime and the pads still look brand new with a ton of life left on them after a lot of towing.

OP
OP
RamRacer

RamRacer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys,coming from a motorcycle background there are always better performance upgrades over the oem products so I am surprised that most think stock stuff is better, when they build vehicles they have a budget to do so and that often dictates the level of products. I'm not familiar with automotive aftermarket parts but what I do know is you normally get what you pay for , so I won't be going the cheap route :)

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I put tow grade rotors and pads on my 05 1500. Powerstop if I remember correctly. Drilled, slotted made a world of difference. I pull a 6k lb toy hauler.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I put tow grade rotors and pads on my 05 1500. Powerstop if I remember correctly. Drilled, slotted made a world of difference. I pull a 6k lb toy hauler.

and I'm pulling 15,000 pounds of trailer plus 8,400 pounds of truck with a 3500 and I can brake effortlessly with the factory brake pads and rotors.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I disagree with all who say replace your oem/stock brake pads and rotors with oem/stock. The stock braking system was not made with performance in mind. Providing similar stopping distance as the competition and cost is more than likely whats on their minds.

There are a bunch of aftermarket brake manufacturers and their pads and rotors will greatly improve stopping distance, run cooler, and provide less brake dust. Especially when towing!

Just go with a reputable company and do a little research and read some reviews. PowerStop seems like a winner so far. You've got a few people in this thread that said it made a big difference in their braking.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I disagree with all who say replace your oem/stock brake pads and rotors with oem/stock. The stock braking system was not made with performance in mind. Providing similar stopping distance as the competition and cost is more than likely whats on their minds.

There are a bunch of aftermarket brake manufacturers and their pads and rotors will greatly improve stopping distance, run cooler, and provide less brake dust. Especially when towing!

Just go with a reputable company and do a little research and read some reviews. PowerStop seems like a winner so far. You've got a few people in this thread that said it made a big difference in their braking.

If my brakes were coming due for a replacement I would research aftermarket options but more for the price. Better brake performance is only obtainable if the current braking system is having fading issues, not the case with the factory system in my towing experiences (1500 and 3500 SWR). There are other factors that contribute to braking performance, tires, vehicle loading, and driver's reactions, this is all in the context of brakes on our tow vehicles. Not track performance sports vehicles.

In reality, the trailer's brakes should stop it and the tow vehicle's brakes should stop the TV. This is the definition of proportional braking.

Now brake dust is another topic. My factory brakes release a black brake dust that likes to bond to the wheels. Perhaps we could build a list of aftermarket braking solutions (from folks with first-hand knowledge) that offer factory or better performance with little to no brake dust. My 2013 will be ready for brakes in the spring.

So define a "bunch" of manufacturers and their solutions that will "greatly improve stopping distance" in the context of towing performance. Is anyone aware of any metrics on the various solutions available?

I just read the Powerstop website on the extreme truck and tow brake kit. I read a lot of marketing buzzwords but didn't see any metrics on performance, just a mention of "reduction of excess brake dust" from a reviewer. They only offer a solution for the front, nothing for the rear.

I know it sounds like I am being difficult but I'm not, that isn't my intention. Before I drop $300 of my hard-earned dollars I want to know exactly what I'm getting.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was specifically talking about the Ram 1500 brakes. Since that's what I have, and the person who started the thread has. Also possibly the two others that recommend Power Stop brakes.

I disagree with your statement that "Better brake performance is only obtainable if the current braking system is having fading issues..." Better brake performance IS obtainable! A lot of times brake fade is caused by excessive heat. New rotors will help with that. A there are pads that are made with different compounds that simply provide more "bite" than OEM pads.

But here are a few reputable companies whos pads and rotors will perform better than stock. You can look at the specifics on what type of pads will suite your needs best. Some manufacturers offer very different brake pad choices. Such as severe duty/fleet service type pads, trucks that do moderate towing and hauling, and pads for vehicles that are daily drivers. In no particular order....Hawk Performance , StopTech, EBC, SSBC, Baer, and of course Power Stop. I'm sure there are others, but those are ones that I've always heard good things about.

There is always a debate on Rotors. Some people think drilled and slotted are prone to cracking and should be avoided. But they make other rotor types too. Slotted, slotted and dimpled, and manufactures come up with different patterns of them too. Regardless of what type/style you choose, they will run cooler and help with the gasses that are formed when braking compared to your OEM 1500 brakes.

And i should probably tell you that I also have Power Stop brakes. And I think they're great. I noticed a improvement while getting of the freeway and while slowly braking for a stop sign. One of the reason I got them were because of the brake dust issue caused by the OEM pads. I still had a lot of pad life left when I put the Power Stops pads and rotors on. But I just grew tired of dealing with the dirty front wheels. Now if they made a bunch of brake dust on the rear wheels, I probably would mind the dust so much. But since its mostly on the front, it really stood out since the rear rims were still clean. I have almost zero brake dust now. Seriously. My front wheels no longer show any noticeable brake dust and they no longer require any extra effort while washing my truck. The Power Stop brakes use Carbon Ceramic pads, and I think they are one of the pad compounds that provide low dust.

Almost always you can find a improved "wear" part in the aftermarket over stock. Sometimes they can be at a lower price than a stock replacement too.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Novel, I am not going to get into a ******* contest with you over bull-**** ambiguity of wording.

Don't throw out captivating words like "bunch of manufacturers" and "will greatly improve stopping distance" without support. WHO are these manufactures and where are the METRICS that drew you to the conclusion of improved performance?

You are simply throwing around the names of aftermarket brake suppliers assuming their products are better than factory. Not good enough, we need the metrics to prove it. So far, I haven't found anything supporting their performance is better than stock. The "butt dyno" measure of increased performance doesn't count.

What I have found, is it isn't recommended to use slotted/drilled or otherwise modified rotors in towing applications. The reason, the rotors can crack and fragment from over-heating due to prolong use, for example, descending a pass.

Like I said I am going to need brakes on my 2013 RAM 1500 in the spring. I use this vehicle to tow upwards of 7,400 pounds, the 1500 doesn't have an engine brake like my 3500 has, the trailer has brakes but, if they fail I need the 1500 to step up and stop us. I am not going to throw money away on name recognition, marketing buzzwords, curbside aesthetics, unsupported claims of performance, or fake and feel good reviews.

You don't tow anything do you....

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was specifically talking about the Ram 1500 brakes. Since that's what I have, and the person who started the thread has. Also possibly the two others that recommend Power Stop brakes.

I disagree with your statement that "Better brake performance is only obtainable if the current braking system is having fading issues..." Better brake performance IS obtainable! A lot of times brake fade is caused by excessive heat. New rotors will help with that. A there are pads that are made with different compounds that simply provide more "bite" than OEM pads.

But here are a few reputable companies whos pads and rotors will perform better than stock. You can look at the specifics on what type of pads will suite your needs best. Some manufacturers offer very different brake pad choices. Such as severe duty/fleet service type pads, trucks that do moderate towing and hauling, and pads for vehicles that are daily drivers. In no particular order....Hawk Performance , StopTech, EBC, SSBC, Baer, and of course Power Stop. I'm sure there are others, but those are ones that I've always heard good things about.

There is always a debate on Rotors. Some people think drilled and slotted are prone to cracking and should be avoided. But they make other rotor types too. Slotted, slotted and dimpled, and manufactures come up with different patterns of them too. Regardless of what type/style you choose, they will run cooler and help with the gasses that are formed when braking compared to your OEM 1500 brakes.

And i should probably tell you that I also have Power Stop brakes. And I think they're great. I noticed a improvement while getting of the freeway and while slowly braking for a stop sign. One of the reason I got them were because of the brake dust issue caused by the OEM pads. I still had a lot of pad life left when I put the Power Stops pads and rotors on. But I just grew tired of dealing with the dirty front wheels. Now if they made a bunch of brake dust on the rear wheels, I probably would mind the dust so much. But since its mostly on the front, it really stood out since the rear rims were still clean. I have almost zero brake dust now. Seriously. My front wheels no longer show any noticeable brake dust and they no longer require any extra effort while washing my truck. The Power Stop brakes use Carbon Ceramic pads, and I think they are one of the pad compounds that provide low dust.

Almost always you can find a improved "wear" part in the aftermarket over stock. Sometimes they can be at a lower price than a stock replacement too.

1) the brake pad compounds of today dont off-gas like they did 50-60 years ago. the need for cross drilled rotors doesnt exist like it used to. buying an OEM sized rotor with holes in it isnt going to help you stop better. in fact, your decreasing the surface area of the rotor which has an adverse effect on braking. true race cars dont use them any more. the cars that come from the factory with them usually do it for show, and have a massive sized rotor to compensate for it. people associate cross drilled rotors with performance, but its not the case anymore.

2) ceramic brake pads are generally not recommended for towing. they dont handle the high heat as well as a semi metallic pad. for a daily driver, sure they are adequate and the lower dust is a nice benefit. for something that your going to tow with, having dust on your wheels is a trade off for superior braking performance.

for the record, im not saying to go out and buy OEM parts. im sure theres a brake manufacturer out there that has a better semi-metallic compound then what they put on at the factory, and not all pads and rotors are created equal. however, i stand by the fact that the blank/vented rotors and semi-metallic pads (like what was put on at the factory) is in the way to go if stopping power is what your after.

Last edited:

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am starting to think you're somehow involved with the design, manufacturer, or sales of the OEM brake system.

Like I said, there are other choices besides drilled and slotted rotors. Do OEM rotors use new, ****** metal? Because that matters. If modified rotors were not safe and subjective to failure, in 2016 where everyone loves to sue companies, there would be A BUNCH of lawsuits, class action lawsuits, recalls, and fine print saying "not recommended for towing." "The claims about improvement over OEM are only our opinions and we have yet to prove these claims."

I listed 6 companies and there are many others. I think that counts as a bunch.
Look them up, read the products they offer, and read the reviews by customers who are using their products. Why would a customer give a good review for a product that they thought was a waste of money? You have 2 people on this thread that say they think the aftermarket brake system that they have works better than their OEM brakes did.

I will personally contact some of the brake company's I have listed next week for you and ask them the questions you have.

If its found that they have no proof to their claims, they know about their rotors failing, and are trying to take advantage of a ignorant, uninformed US citizens. Then you and I will have no choice but to lawyer up and get our congress, senators, and even Mr. Trump involved to get this to stop. I'll take the west coast and mid-west. You take the east.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And my first post on this thread was directed at the person who started this thread. Nobody else.
And I have not recommended Hogg or anyone else buy any brakes other than aftermarket brakes.
I also said that I have ceramic brakes and they are very low dust pads. I did not recommend them for anyone else.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Novel, you do not need to defend yourself. The point here is what benefits do the aftermarket provide over factory, that is a question that can't be answered because they are not offering metrics.

Here is the link to the Powerstop Z36 (did you get buzz word impact, Z36, wow) truck and tow brake kit. I read the page and watched the video. Not a word on performance over the factory. The only value I see is getting semi-ceramic pads with lower brake dust (I'm for that). Power Stop 1-Click Extreme Truck & Tow Brake Kits | Power Stop It has been established ceramic pads are not the best solution for towing yet they advocate this. This is troubling.

As far as reviews, it is hard to tell the real from the fake and from the feel good reviews. Where is the metrics?

I can say this about both my RAMs, the brakes work better than any of my GM trucks did. I have yet to get rotor warp or brake fade, not that I'm in a position often but drive the streets of the Detroit metroplex, I do plenty of fast stops.

All your talk about legal actions, well, let's get real and forget that. If anyone were to get sued, it would be the OEM so they have to provide. I can see the headlines now, Chrysler is being sued for making trucks with brakes that can't stop the truck when carrying its rated payload.

Last edited:

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well the guy is looking for some different opinions sir. Happy for you and your 3500. Maybe he has a 1500, IDK. My 15OO factory equipment rotors sucked.